Join Early Retirement Today

HBO: Too Big to Fail
Old 05-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

HBO: Too Big to Fail

Anyone watch this? Interested in your reactions. For me, it was like watching the train wreck all over again from a different perspective. Given I'm a former financial regulator (very small fish in a big pond) who retired in the midst of the meltdown - this was pretty interesting to me.

I'm sure it is interesting to most here too given that the events depicted impacted us in a material way and forever changed how most of us view finance, investing and politics.

Here's the trailer for those who haven't seen it. As usual, the actual movie was quite different than depicted here, but you get the general idea:

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Would love to see it but we do not get HBO. Any other sources for it yet?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I saw it and enjoyed it....McCain is not depicted kindly. The weakest parts were the obvious and tedious bits of exposition to explain mortgage backed securities and why AIG was about to fail. Using Cynthia Nixon's press secretary (Michele Davis) as a stand in for the ignorant viewer was really obvious and pretty sexist......all the men took time out to explain to her...and the viewers....what was happening. They could have written that part far better. FYI here is an interview with the real Michele Davis.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ews/davis.html
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I watched it. Paulson came off well although he was one of the architects of the disaster. A key theme underlying the movie was that we were on the brink of a catastrophe that could have dwarfed what actually took place without extreme Government intervention. If that is true I think we are in serious jeopardy if/as we march back up to the brink. In today's environment massive government intervention would seem impossible to achieve.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I was fastinated with how the movie depicted the interaction between the feds and bankers - including heavy hitters in banking from Korea, the UK and China. Wonder how close to reality that was?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:24 AM   #6

Thought it was very well done. Gave some insight to just how close we actually were to a total and complete financial meltdown not only in the US but the World.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I enjoyed the movie.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Of the three books I read on crisis; The Big Short, Too Big to Fail, House of Cards, Too Big to Fail was my favorite. I am looking forward to seeing it, especially because the Oscar winning Insider Job, was such a shoddy and biased piece of work.

I am hoping that my cable company has one of its HBO free weekends coming up soon.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

I haven't seen the movie but I have been following and reading a lot about the WAMU take over and yesterday it was apparently settled .
WaMu reaches tentative deal with shareholders: Associated Press Business News - MSN Money
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I am hoping that my cable company has one of its HBO free weekends coming up soon.
DirecTV has a free weekend June 9-12 for HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Starz.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
gone traveling

I saw it over the weekend and enjoyed, although it should probably come with a warning that viewers may find themselves sticking their head's out the window and yelling, I can't take..................
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote