Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I say we simply encourage our youth to exercise their right to ride motorcycles without helmets, and then harvest their rich, delicious healthy organs for our benefit.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2011, 03:48 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I say we simply encourage our youth to exercise their right to ride motorcycles without helmets, and then harvest their rich, delicious healthy organs for our benefit.
That reminded me of Larry Niven, for some reason, and I looked at his Wikipedia entry, mainly to see if he was still alive. I happened there upon this interesting suggestion of his "that hospitals stem financial losses by spreading rumors in Spanish within the Latino community that emergency rooms are killing patients in order to harvest their organs for transplants, in order to reduce illegal immigrants' use of emergency rooms."
Larry Niven - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwoodt View Post
I would be retired today if I had health coverage, however I am lucky enough to work for a company that offers retiree health insurance.

My plans are to stay until after my 55th birthday next September to have health coverage for myself and DH.
This is exactly what I did, held on until age 55. I'm so glad I did, having a good HI plan is a big weight off my mind.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Wouldn't the "Obamacare" (IF it stays in place) give basically the same result that Trawler is seeking? (I don't mean the name to be a criticism; I am a supporter and think it should have gone further, to national health care.)
Old 09-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This is exactly what I did, held on until age 55. I'm so glad I did, having a good HI plan is a big weight off my mind.
I thought many employers have been cancelling this kind of arrangement, even after you've retired. It's only a promise, not a guaranteed benefit. Not sure I would count on it, but it would have been nice. DW needed 1/2 year more service to qualify (without a subsidy) for her employer's health plan after retirement when her employer decided to stop doing that.

I'm hoping ObamaCare survives and DW will keep working until 2014...
Old 09-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
I thought many employers have been cancelling this kind of arrangement, even after you've retired. It's only a promise, not a guaranteed benefit. Not sure I would count on it, but it would have been nice. DW needed 1/2 year more service to qualify (without a subsidy) for her employer's health plan after retirement when her employer decided to stop doing that.
Yeah, my previous employer canned retiree health insurance for everyone under 50, and then froze the pension a few months later. It's no accident that this was when I started looking for a new job; my main reasons for sticking with my (then) current employer vanished.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #27

Quote:

I'm hoping ObamaCare survives and DW will keep working until 2014...
Many employers have been cancelling retiree HI, and mine may also follow suit but so far so good. Before RE'ing I had $15k/year in the projected budget for health care. Until the company changes its policy we'll continue to live high on the hog.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Many employers have been cancelling retiree HI, and mine may also follow suit but so far so good. Before RE'ing I had $15k/year in the projected budget for health care. Until the company changes its policy we'll continue to live high on the hog.
So far so good with my company. Working in the Corporate office I know that my company has no intention of eliminating the retiree health care anytime soon. If in the future they did decide to eliminate the health care, anyone already working would be grandfathered in.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #29

Quote:
So far so good with my company. Working in the Corporate office I know that my company has no intention of eliminating the retiree health care anytime soon. If in the future they did decide to eliminate the health care, anyone already working would be grandfathered in.
That's good to hear. I hope my company is of the same mind.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

OTOH, wouldn't that be fewer people paying into SS for US?
Old 09-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
OTOH, wouldn't that be fewer people paying into SS for US?
Ah, yes. Naturally, we would have to increase the birth rate to compensate. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I would not assume anything.

IMO, plan and be prepared for the worst case. Then hope you don't wind up in that situation.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

The company I worked for eliminated retiree health care in 1995. There was no longer any option for employees not yet retired, not sure how they handled (the thousands of) existing retirees. If there can be such a thing, it ended the suspense for me, I knew long before I retired that I'd be on my own.

I think we will end up with some sort of nationalized/universal health care though it may be years or even decades. I hope it's not Obamacare which appears to be even more expensive than our current dysfunctional systems. If every other developed nation can do it, at a lower cost per capita than the US already costs, why can't we? [Answer: politics - special interests (Corp & health care establishment) - individuals who can't see what it really costs us protecting the status quo]

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #34

Quote:
The existence of subsidized retiree health coverage was a key factor in DH retiring and me ESR'ing (with plan to fully retire in a couple of years). He was 62 and I was 56. Without the retiree coverage -- and the fact it also covered me -- we couldn't have done it. It is, of course, possible his employer could end the coverage and then it would be problem (not so much for DH as he is now almost medicare age). But, should I have continue working full time for 9 more years just on the chance that the retiree coverage would be eliminated? (FWIW, his employer has I think either eliminated or significantly changed it for newer employees but DH was grandfathered in to the old plan
Old 09-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I think we will end up with some sort of nationalized/universal health care though it may be years or even decades. ...

This is probably the only way to deal with the issue. Cost shifting and medical costs require a very large pool.

Since we will probably never refuse care (morally or legally)... It will probably have to be mandatory.... because people can get care by just showing up at the emergency room and not pay (cost shifting to people who are insured).

The spiraling cost issues can be dealt with. But most of us will probably not like the answer. The answer will probably be: Non-life threatening care that is expensive is rationed (get in a queue and wait... eventually get it) or pay more to get it now (i.e., supplemental policy).
Old 10-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #36

Quote:
Ah, yes. Naturally, we would have to increase the birth rate to compensate. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.

Quote:

Hmmmmm, Stepford wives and replaceable body parts. Now here's a man who's thought this through!