Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Health Care Reform Polling data
Old 01-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,406
Health Care Reform Polling data

The KFF has released a summary of their latest polling data (December polling). While the general public seems split regarding the health reform act as a whole, it seems most people favor all the components except one – the individual mandate. This is much different than the impression found in the media.

In other words, there is substantial public support for 5 of 6 key reform components.

Quote:
Surveys also suggest that observers use caution in interpreting what Americans mean when they say they favor repeal. As was true in December, Kaiser’s November Health Tracking Poll found roughly half the public in favor of repealing at least parts of the health reform law. But asked to say whether each of six specific provisions should be repealed, majorities wanted to keep five of them. For example, more than seven in ten said lawmakers should keep provisions that provide tax credits to small businesses (78 percent), gradually close the Medicare doughnut hole (72 percent), prohibit insurance companies from denying coverage based on preexisting conditions (71 percent), and provide financial help to lowerincome Americans to help them purchase coverage (71 percent). Fewer, but still more than half (54 percent), supported keeping increases in the Medicare payroll tax on upper income Americans. The only exception among the provisions considered: the individual mandate, which twothirds of Americans (68 percent) wanted to see repealed.
http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upload/8131.pdf
__________________

__________________
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
gone traveling
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The KFF has released a summary of their latest polling data (December polling). While the general public seems split regarding the health reform act as a whole, it seems most people favor all the components except one – the individual mandate. This is much different than the impression found in the media.

In other words, there is substantial public support for 5 of 6 key reform components.

http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upload/8131.pdf
Pick any poll you want...

Rasmussen... 60 percent want health care reform repealed
__________________

__________________
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DblDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
And read the poll questions. This one does not ask specifically about components. Just the bill in its entirety. The results MB posted have been fairly consistent. There are components that people like. Lets not throw the baby out with the wash water...

DD
__________________
At 54% of FIRE target
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 447
Without the individual mandate, it's hard to see how the other provisions would work.

Peter
__________________
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 923
Let's see how the poll looks in 2014 when people's rates double or triple.
__________________
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Let's see how the poll looks in 2014 when people's rates double or triple.
Then we will get rid of insurance companies and implement gov health care
__________________
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubt, while the stupid people are full of confidence.”

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Let's see how the poll looks in 2014 when people's rates double or triple.
My rates have been going up 10-20%/year for about a decade.
__________________
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Let's see how the poll looks in 2014 when people's rates double or triple.
And this is unexpected or different from what's been happening how?

I budgeted for a 12%/year hike in health insurance premiums. When I become Medicare eligible (under current law; subject to change) my annual premiums will be somewhere around $42K, the majority of my annual budget. If/when Medicare is cancelled, at that annual rate of increase at age 80 the annual premium will be $230K. (Something tells me this model isn't sustainable...)

Hey, I may have overestimated, or something utterly unprecedented may happen, and I'll have a happy surprise. I've learned that is something that shouldn't be planned for, however.
__________________
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,811
I like Kaiser's poll because it focuses on individual elements of the bill.

Unfortunately, we get the typical public response:

An average of 73% support the first three items which all increase gov't spending. Only 54% support the tax increase which might pay for that additional spending.

71% want to prohibit insurers from denying coverage based on existing health conditions. But only 27% want to mandate that people actually buy insurance before those health conditions show up.
(Kind of like saying a fire insurance company has to insure your home even if there is smoke coming out, and also saying that nobody needs to buy insurance until after the house is smoking.)
__________________
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
And this is unexpected or different from what's been happening how?

I budgeted for a 12%/year hike in health insurance premiums. When I become Medicare eligible (under current law; subject to change) my annual premiums will be somewhere around $42K, the majority of my annual budget. If/when Medicare is cancelled, at that annual rate of increase at age 80 the annual premium will be $230K. (Something tells me this model isn't sustainable...)

Hey, I may have overestimated, or something utterly unprecedented may happen, and I'll have a happy surprise. I've learned that is something that shouldn't be planned for, however.
Because in 2014, those that have been paying lower individual market premiums will be subject to a massive increase when all pricing goes to that of the group model. Then the increases will be 10-20% of a much higher number. Example - 45 year old family of 4 in VA can get a good co-pay plan from BCBS for about $400/month. A group plan for that family (based on today's rates) would be more like $1000-1500/month. No way they will be able to come anywhere close to that $400/month again in a guaranteed-issue scenario without subsidies, but that still doesn't lower the total cost and I have a lot of clients making over the 4x income threshhold that wouldn't get a subsidy who are paying those low premiums.
__________________
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Rich_by_the_Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
True in some cases, though the KFF has wide recognition for objectivity and rigor. Not perfect, but one of the better ones in health care.
__________________
Rich
San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
I like Kaiser's poll because it focuses on individual elements of the bill.

Unfortunately, we get the typical public response:

An average of 73% support the first three items which all increase gov't spending. Only 54% support the tax increase which might pay for that additional spending.

71% want to prohibit insurers from denying coverage based on existing health conditions. But only 27% want to mandate that people actually buy insurance before those health conditions show up.
(Kind of like saying a fire insurance company has to insure your home even if there is smoke coming out, and also saying that nobody needs to buy insurance until after the house is smoking.)
If we didn't know before, we now know why a democracy in a country full of stupid people is so hilarious.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
It’s not “pick the poll you like” but instead “let’s understand what people specifically do and don’t like”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Let's see how the poll looks in 2014 when people's rates double or triple.
By 2014 total health care expenses will total 197% of GDP (just joking everyone!). There is so much cost shifting and cross subsidy right now, very few have any idea what healthcare really costs. I’d wager the majority of people that want to revoke the reform have subsidized plans at large group rates. If everyone paid a non-underwritten non-subsidized rate today there would be universal clamor for change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Without the individual mandate, it's hard to see how the other provisions would work.

Peter
IIRC the original Kennedy (QEPD) proposal dealt with that by charging or reimbursing the insurance companies based on how their risk profiles differed from the national averages.

Major public support (>70%) for some provisions show there is opportunity to improve the reform.
__________________
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
By 2014 total health care expenses will total 197% of GDP (just joking everyone!). There is so much cost shifting and cross subsidy right now, very few have any idea what healthcare really costs. I’d wager the majority of people that want to revoke the reform have subsidized plans at large group rates. If everyone paid a non-underwritten non-subsidized rate today there would be universal clamor for change.
Which is exactly my point. A non-underwritten, non-subsidized rate is what people will pay in 2014 if they make over 4x the poverty limit. We'll see how many people change their mind when they get the bill.
__________________
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 150
Rasmussen who?? It depends on who you ask and the questions asked. I certainly go with the KFF study anytime.

The study we have here on ERF clearly shows much more support for reform than the status quo. The current reform is not anywhere perfect but it's good start. I'd like see what the pro-repeal groups have to offer in place of the current reform. Doing nothing is certainly not a solution with the problem we're facing.
__________________
huusom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by huusom View Post
Rasmussen who?? It depends on who you ask and the questions asked. I certainly go with the KFF study anytime.

The study we have here on ERF clearly shows much more support for reform than the status quo. The current reform is not anywhere perfect but it's good start. I'd like see what the pro-repeal groups have to offer in place of the current reform. Doing nothing is certainly not a solution with the problem we're facing.
The KFF report doesn't show anything surprising. It's basically "Americans want stuff, don't want to pay for stuff." If you asked me if I'd like to eat dinner at Ruth's Chris every night I'd say yes, but if you asked me I wanted to pay to eat at Ruth's Chris every night (and maybe pay for a few of my buddies while I'm at it), I'd say no. Nothing out of the ordinary there...
__________________
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Without the individual mandate, it's hard to see how the other provisions would work.

Peter
Agreed. Specifically, how do you allow previous conditions w/o universal mandate? You will raise rates on the people who buy ins, to the point they might drop it until they need it - rinse/repeat in a downward spiral.

I didn't dig through the details of the poll, but I could construct all sorts of polls that would have people say they support a particular something, and that 'something' might be counter-productive to what they want to achieve in the end. So do we do it, because it is the people's 'will'?

In theory, I think we structured our Govt to be representative, because (again, in theory), those reps should be informed enough to enact legislation designed to achieve goals that meet the people's will. If not, let's just eliminate Congress and we will pass laws based on American-Idol style phone in votes.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,251
One of the problems with a survey like this is the question...

I am one that would like to repeal the law in total...

But I also do not like an insurance company denying pre-existing conditions.... but only in certain cases... so if they had said only denying pre-existing conditions I would have said 'keep it'... but know that this allows people to not get covered and then buy when they need... I would want someone to be able to move from one company to another without this pre-existing condition... not go naked for years and then buy...


When on vacation... I saw a Judge Judy that made me laugh... there was one guy who had a car towed by his AAA account... Judy asked 'can you have someone else's car towed?'.... her bailif said 'yes'.... she said something like 'then why would anybody have a account... just one person in America can have an account and everybody can use it'....


I feel that so many people want to have one account and use it... but they do not want to pay...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #19
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
The KFF report doesn't show anything surprising. It's basically "Americans want stuff, don't want to pay for stuff." If you asked me if I'd like to eat dinner at Ruth's Chris every night I'd say yes, but if you asked me I wanted to pay to eat at Ruth's Chris every night (and maybe pay for a few of my buddies while I'm at it), I'd say no. Nothing out of the ordinary there...
The KFF poll makes no mention of people not wanting to pay.
__________________
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #20
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,406
Take out employer subsidy – make health care benefits taxable income. Eliminate provider multiple tier pricing – just one price. Do away with insurance group pricing differences. Just price for admin cost differences. That will substantially level the playing field.

Then we have to address a basic social inconsistency. Very poor people with no assets are eligible for publicly paid healthcare – Medicaid. Lower income people get no public assistance but cannot pay for healthcare so they get little or none. This is a perverse incentive. So, extend Medicaid into lower income people.

Then we can expect service providers to stop cost shifting.

The gov’t can act to reinsure catastrophic coverage. That substantially reduces the risk to intermediators.
__________________

__________________
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Updated KFF on health care reform MichaelB Other topics 2 04-30-2010 08:33 AM
Long-Term Care - Part of Health Care Reform Bill chinaco Health and Early Retirement 3 07-19-2009 03:53 PM
Health Care Reform in ICU haha Health and Early Retirement 1 07-09-2009 12:23 PM
Health Care Reform Rich_by_the_Bay Health and Early Retirement 121 06-22-2009 03:57 PM
Health Care Reform --- Will it happen after the election? chinaco Health and Early Retirement 20 02-19-2008 08:42 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:36 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.