Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Back to the topic.

My personal plans assume that the Dem's health care bill isn't going to happen. Given the gridlock described above, I don't see any meaningful changes for the pre-65 group until we're out of that group 4 years from now. This means we'll be spending about $25,000 per year in premiums and deductibles for a few years.

Medicare Part A has a trust fund that's projected to go to zero in 2017
Under the intermediate assumptions the HI trust fund is projected to be exhausted in 2017, 2 years earlier than in last year’s report, reflecting much lower projected payroll tax income as a result of the recession.
When the trust fund goes to zero, the Secretary won't have the legal authority to write checks. I think both sides in Congress view that as a political disaster, but I'm expecting them to wait 3-4 years to deal with it, probably after the next prez election.

I'm guessing they'll expand means testing significantly. I think this attempt at health care reform has proved that there is no political support for anything else. That's a conservative assumption for me because I have above average means. From a pure financial standpoint, I'd defer SS as long as possible, thereby spending down assets. (However, health issues could trump that analysis.)

Looking at the other "parts" of Medicare:

Medicare Part B isn't officially as bad. However, that's because the official projections use current law on physician's pay, and Congress routinely does one-year overrides on the law. Therefore, I'm figuring that parts A&B are about the same.

Part C is Medicare Advantage plans. AFAIK, these plans cost the taxpayers more than traditional medicare - the Dem's bill reduced their support. This is one area where I could see R's & D's agreeing (reluctantly). So I'm not planning on using a Medicare Advantage plan when I get there.

Part D has no dedicated funding hence no trust fund. (It is funded by borrowing). There's political support for expanding it (reducing the donut hole), I think they're going to run out of money.

So I'm figuring all parts of Medicare will probably be hit about the same as Part A and I should plan on means testing for all of it.

It's hard to come up with numbers, but I'm taking a wild stab at a present value of $50,000 - $100,000.

Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!