Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How Do You Prefer To Vote?
Go In Person To Vote 78 63.41%
Vote By Mail or Absentee Vote 41 33.33%
I Never Vote 4 3.25%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #21

We've always gone in person. If there was a line, it was short, 10 minutes or less. Polling places everywhere I've lived were in schools, which are closed on election days.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here in PA we have to vote in person unless not physically able to come to the polls. I hate it--it's very hard to research the local candidates. In California, our garage was a polling place from the time I was 6 years old.

Started voting absentee in California during my residency, and never stopped. It was nice sitting at the kitchen table with DH deciding how to vote on all the ballot measures and candidates.

CA is excellent at providing information about the elections. In PA we don't get a sample ballot so we have to rely on the newspaper, which I don 't buy. Walking into the polling place without being able to know exactly who/what is on the ballot is undemocratic.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Old 10-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #23

I'll be voting absentee. I am not pleased with the way things are, and I don't want the other candidates, so no-vote on those lines. I hope that is accepted.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Always. And usually a few days early.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Last big election I voted early (early voting is an option at a limited number of places here) as we were going to be out of town. The wait in line was 2 hours and when I finally got to the voting area, the judge decided my signature did not look like the 20 year old signature in the record book. Grrrr. Bring on online voting.

Regular voting otoh is a breeze.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #26

I usually vote absentee as I'm on the road and it's tough to be home on a Tuesday to vote.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
The wait in line was 2 hours and when I finally got to the voting area, the judge decided my signature did not look like the 20 year old signature in the record book. Grrrr. Bring on online voting.

Regular voting otoh is a breeze.

You're lucky. They'd probably think I was John Wilkes Booth from my signature.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I regard voting as a tremendous privilege, and as dumb as it may sound to some, I *want* to go in person. I get a kick out of walking in there on Election Day along with a large number of neighbors, some of who I recognize; getting my name crossed off the roll; walking into that voting booth; and voting in person. I have never had to wait very long at all....What a great celebration of freedom and of being an American citizen. I'm sure citizens of other free countries feel the same.
+1
I enjoy the process and am one of those that vote in every single election. I appreciate it as an opportunity that so many in the world don't have.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #29

I have voted by mail due to military assignments. That won't change since I've moved back home...especially when I see the LONG lines on election day!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
You're lucky. They'd probably think I was John Wilkes Booth from my signature.
Someone in Chicago is already voting under that name. Several times each election. Is that you?
Old 10-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I ****hate**** waiting for anything.

Absentee/mail in ballot all the time.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Someone in Chicago is already voting under that name. Several times each election. Is that you?

Don't mind me. I'm enjoying the play.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #33

I vote the only way one can vote in Oregon, by mail.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #34

I've always voted in person, even when I lived in Houston and the lines were sometimes very long. Now that I live in the central/east Texas countryside, I drive to the county court house to vote (about 15 mins away) and where there is never a line for anything. They usually have 10 to 12 voting booths and I've never seen a line (even to show my ID to vote )
Old 10-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Here in PA we have to vote in person unless not physically able to come to the polls. I hate it--it's very hard to research the local candidates...In PA we don't get a sample ballot so we have to rely on the newspaper, which I don 't buy. Walking into the polling place without being able to know exactly who/what is on the ballot is undemocratic.
Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
In my part of Pennsylvania, you can do a mail-in ballot if you are away on vacation or sabbatical. You can also go online and search for your county's sample ballot. Then scroll through to find your town's sample ballot. I'm pretty sure they also list, below the link for the sample ballot, if there are any referendum questions for particular towns. See if your county has this online.
I vote in person, it's only a 10 minute walk to the firehouse which is our polling station. I live in a small borough and there's never a wait to vote. I got roped in to fill in as a poll worker last year......it's like watching paint dry. It was the longest day of my life. A few people in the morning, a couple more at noon and almost everyone else was there by 5.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In person. The polling place is 2 doors away, across the street. What could be easier ?
Old 10-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
In person. The polling place is 2 doors away, across the street. What could be easier ?

Maybe if you were in jail.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I cant remember the last election I missed and like going to the polls. As I've gotten older, I reflect that my grandparents and father immigrated and became naturalized citizens. They were so proud to be US citizens and cherished their right to vote. They would take me to the polls with them so I guess it's my personal tradition.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #39

We vote by mail in my state.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

We vote in person- we're in a small town and there if there is a wait, it's very short. Plus, I'm retired so not in a hurry to begin with!