Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How Do You Prefer To Vote?
Go In Person To Vote 78 63.41%
Vote By Mail or Absentee Vote 41 33.33%
I Never Vote 4 3.25%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #41

As far as voting in person goes, perhaps it should be separated by early voting and voting on Election Day? More people I know actually use early voting these days, at least where and when it is available.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've always voted in person. Probably will continue to do that, unless the lines become unreasonable. I don't anticipate that around here, though.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Early and often. Actually, as an Oregonian who is also out of state in November, by mail.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I usually vote in person now that I'm in a rural area and the polling place isn't crowded. But many years ago I attempted to vote in an election in a growing area where the county officials badly misjudged the turnout at the local precinct. I showed up to vote after work only to find the line out the door and halfway down the block, and decided to sit this one out. Afterwards it was reported that the last in line didn't get to cast their vote until just prior to 10 PM - long after the winner had been announced...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #45

Texas has early voting which I do in person. There is seldom a line. Once in a great while, we've voted on the actual election day and there were absolutely no lines. I think most people early vote in Texas.

Absentee ballots are avilable for those over 65 and those out of their area on election day. I don't think it's heavily reviewed on who claims to be out of theri voting area.

Sample ballots are on line. The actual ballot changes by precinct since there are so many water boards, school districts, cities that vary within any county.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:51 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am an election volunteer. So every election I get to see our democracy in action. It is a great privileged to work the vote. I wish there was a higher turnout, but all I can do is make my vote and then make voting as easy as possible for other voters.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

I generally vote in the manner of our people, by filling in small ovals on a sheet of paper.

It is our way.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I generally vote in the manner of our people, by filling in small ovals on a sheet of paper.

It is our way.
I prefer filling small ovals on paper as opposed to the computer kiosk. Our polling place has a choice of paper ballot or computer kiosk (for the gutsy). The election workers talked me into going with the computer kiosk last time - it malfunctioned. So I had to do a redo on paper. I'm going straight to the paper ballot this election.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Generally in person on election day. I have worked as poll worker and poll watcher before and for those elections I voted early.

I missed this years primary and I felt bad about it, I was going to be on the mainland and missed the deadline to get an absentee. It was only the 3rd or 4th time I missed voting in my life
Old 10-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

The entire state of Oregon is vote by mail. It is convenient and cheaper to administrate. I used to go to my local polling place and had great fun gossiping with my neighbors and poll workers. Unfortunately my favorite poll worker has passed away (Mickey Loloich's Mom) so voting by mail is OK.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #51

Used to be permanent absentee since that was before early voting and I traveled a bunch. Now do early voting in-person when it is convenient. Never go on election day.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #52

We waste so much time, effort, and money on voting. We, as voters, do a horrifically bad job at selecting the best candidate as proven by the fact that in over 99% of the races, the candidate that spends the most money ends-up winning. So we all could all save a lot of time and get a better result if we sampled and trained a subset of voters instead of letting everyone vote.

What if, when you register to vote, your name goes into a list where a healthy subset would be randomly selected to cast a vote? Very much like jury duty...by law, you are required to do it.

Those selected would be required to go to "voting school" for, say, one week, where they would be briefed on the issues of the day. To keep the playing field even on the issues, maybe a wikipedia-style source (crowd sourced) could be used as instructional background material. Also, each person running for office would assemble a "pitch" that would be played for those people in the voting school. The politicians would also be required to fill-out a questioneer similar to the one the VoteSmart people use (tries to get at where the politician stands on various issues). These selected voting school individuals would be sequestered, so no politicians would know or be able to contact (bribe) them. The voting school people would become informed voters, then cast an informed vote.

What a concept...voting for someone not because you've seen more of their ads or signs, but because you've studied their past actions and their stated positions!
Old 10-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
What a concept...voting for someone not because you've seen more of their ads or signs, but because you've studied their past actions and their stated positions!
Dream on! That will happen when
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flying_Pigs.jpg (167.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Dream on! That will happen when
Agreed that it will never happen. But the Industrial Engineer in me can't help but point out inefficiencies.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Reason enough to stop voting altogether...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I'm of a like mind, but I do vote, but vote for someone who will "never win"... The " third party candidate". I don't see it as a "wasted vote" because I figure it's the best way to flip the bird at our screwed-up system. And maybe if enough of us flip the bird at 'em, they will ease toward doing what is right for us instead of right to keep getting re-elected and lining their own pockets.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
That's another answer to the problem posed by Sengsational. If people who won't take the time to adequately inform themselves can just be encouraged to avoid voting . . . unfortunately, people's motivation to vote sometimes seems inversely proportional to their understanding of the issues.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm of a like mind, but I do vote, but vote for someone who will "never win"... The " third party candidate". I don't see it as a "wasted vote" because I figure it's the best way to flip the bird at our screwed-up system. And maybe if enough of us flip the bird at 'em, they will ease toward doing what is right for us instead of right to keep getting re-elected and lining their own pockets.
Yep, I've voted third-party many times, for that reason, and with that results...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
That's another answer to the problem posed by Sengsational. If people who won't take the time to adequately inform themselves can just be encouraged to avoid voting . . . unfortunately, people's motivation to vote sometimes seems inversely proportional to their understanding of the issues.
True enough, though my point was that many of the candidates, independent of party, have little to nothing to recommend them... IMHO, of course. We do still have statesmen/women, but they're overwhelmed by party machinery, lobbyist money, and, frankly, some are just plain worthless. I'm not entirely sure it's ever been much different.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #59

Quote:
I've thought about doing that too but it just seemed like a pointless exercise. Sort of like voting for the "regular" candidates.

So what I do is vote for the one I think will do the least amount of damage.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've thought about doing that too but it just seemed like a pointless exercise. Sort of like voting for the "regular" candidates.

So what I do is vote for the one I think will do the least amount of damage.
I don't want to stray into politics too far, but my thinking is that the two major parties tend to play "good cop / bad cop" with the citizenry. Thus, I look at the two groups as a single unit who's primary motivation is to keep things as they are (always tipping back and forth between just the two of them). Their primary goal in life is to keep (or get) their life-long political career going, and the needs of the populace is secondary. I do not think any of that can be said for third party candidates, because they "can't win". And, as I said earlier, I do think that the two major parties look at how many of us are thumbing our nose at them through third party voting.