Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How Do You Prefer To Vote?
Go In Person To Vote 78 63.41%
Vote By Mail or Absentee Vote 41 33.33%
I Never Vote 4 3.25%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

How Do You Vote?
Old 10-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

How Do You Vote?

I just applied to be able to vote by mail in all elections through 2016. The wait to vote at the polling locations was very lengthy (over 2.5 hours) when we last voted, and we don't want to go through that again.

Just curious how many prefer to vote by absentee ballot (mail) or in person.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

By mail

Old 10-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #3

I vote in person. Small town so I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes. Non-presidential elections i've never waited more than a minute or 2. If I had to wait more than 30 minutes i'd do it by mail.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

I normally vote in person during the early voting period. I usually pick a time to vote when I'll already be downtown near our local government building and not make a special trip. Typically no wait and a 5 minute process.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
Administrator

I regard voting as a tremendous privilege, and as dumb as it may sound to some, I *want* to go in person. I get a kick out of walking in there on Election Day along with a large number of neighbors, some of who I recognize; getting my name crossed off the roll; walking into that voting booth; and voting in person. I have never had to wait very long at all. There was quite a line at the last Presidential election, IIRC, but it moved along briskly.

To me, it feels like walking across that stage to get a diploma. Even at age 66, it's so, so cool! What a great celebration of freedom and of being an American citizen. I'm sure citizens of other free countries feel the same.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #6

This is the first time I have voted by absentee ballot. Just applied for it yesterday. It would be a 3-day drive to get there to vote in person...
Old 10-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got some voting reminders (register for absentee ballots, robocalls). Didn't like the "spam" so now I'm thinking about voting for the opposite party... Nothing like a little gridlock
Old 10-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #8

I'm a lemming of W2R. I vote every election, in person. Here in San Diego most polling places are in someone's garage. (No issue with needing HVAC at election time.) Some area's it's at the school auditorium... but in my 'hood it's all garage based polling places.

By voting in person I got to see the fiasco of the new voting machines that didn't work 8 years ago. My polling place is on the next block over - I can see it from my backyard... but it's a bit longer to walk... so I usually bring my dog... get a two-fer - dog walk and I vote.

Growing up we had the polls in our garage for about 15 years. My mother worked for the registrar of voters - but other neighborhood folks acted as polling officers so she could be troubleshooting the elections.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

In person, usually, and early if I'll be out of town on election day. Like others have said--I enjoy the "community ritual" of it, and want to participate in/encourage the continuance of this tangible, physical event even as the rest or our lives seems to slip into the virtual world. I want to see my neighbors--there's not enough of that these days.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #10

Always in person, and always the first day of early voting. Never have to wait more than a few minutes. It is a privilege I do not take for granted.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #11

The days of Mr. Smith goes to Washington is over so I don't vote anymore.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Early voting periods usually go 10-14 days 7AM to 7PM. I've NEVER had a problem voting in person.

Mike
Old 10-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #13

How Do You Vote?

I go in person. I'm usually one of the first few voters at our small precinct polling place - the township road commissioner's office. I too enjoy the 'ritual' of it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #14

Another citizen here that likes to vote and, when possible, does so on voting day in person.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Even though there is almost never a line at my current polling place, I vote by mail more often than not. Just a habit I picked up during a military career when it was impossible to get to my polls.

When we first moved here, I usually went in person, but the poll workers were so incompetent and officious that I reverted to my old practice of getting an absentee ballot.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #16

I drive about 10 minutes and vote in person.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #17

In Seattle vote-by-mail is the only option, excepting a few "boutique" polling places for the visually impaired.

Before we went to absentee only, I spent one summer training the people who man the polling stations, back when they were just starting to roll out the electronic voting machines.

Most of the poll workers were elderly and viewed the annual ritual as a chance to connect with their neighbors, although we had a small group of volunteers who were just plain rabid about the democratic process and wanted to make sure it was done right.

It was an interesting process, running the polls.

I like absentee though. I'm not sure how many of my peers vote, so I hassle them over social media.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #18

I vote in person on Election Day at the voting location a short walk from where I live. It is a Middle School but where in the school we vote has varied over the years and depending on the type of election (school budget, primary, special election).

When I was working full-time or, for a few years, working on Tuesdays in my part-time years, I had to vote after I got home from work. Here in NY the polls are open until 9 PM so I always had time. Some years, though, the polls were pretty busy after 7 PM. But I never had to wait more than 10 or 15 minutes.

Since I ERed, I can now stroll over there at 10 AM when it is not busy. I am in and out in 5 minutes most of the time. NY changed its voting to optical scan so many people can work on their votes at the same time at the many "privacy stations" scattered around the large voting area. I did have to wait for a few minutes one year because all of them were occupied and an open one repeatedly was on the other side of the large room so someone else beat me to it LOL!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortInSeattle View Post
In Seattle vote-by-mail is the only option, excepting a few "boutique" polling places for the visually impaired.

Before we went to absentee only, I spent one summer training the people who man the polling stations, back when they were just starting to roll out the electronic voting machines.

Most of the poll workers were elderly and viewed the annual ritual as a chance to connect with their neighbors, although we had a small group of volunteers who were just plain rabid about the democratic process and wanted to make sure it was done right.

It was an interesting process, running the polls.

I like absentee though. I'm not sure how many of my peers vote, so I hassle them over social media.
In 2001, I was a volunteer poll watcher at the closing hour. All I had to do was to make sure nobody was denied entrance as we closed the doors at 9 PM. Then, they opened up the back of the machines (these were the ancient lever machines, NY had not adopted its optical scan system) and copied down numbers for each lever according to its row and column position. I looked to see the poll inspectors were writing down the numbers correctly (I wrote some down myself for my own curiosity) although I could not monitor every machine throughout the room. I did have some help from other poll watchers. It was a fascinating experience overall.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Have voted absentee ballot in every election for the past 30+ years. My transient military career meant I was rarely a resident of the state or country in which I resided at the time. Now that I'm retired, I still vote by mail-in ballot, guess it's a matter of habit and convenience now. Just got an email from the county today informing me that my ballot will be mailed to me on Monday for the November elections.