Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2016, 07:36 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
That could mean either 1) everyone gets 75% of promised benefits; 2) 75% of people get full promised benefits and 25% of people get zero; or 3) something in between.
The "75% of people get full promised benefits and 25% of people get zero" looks like a winner in an election. Who can resist getting 75% of the popular vote?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2016, 04:57 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The "75% of people get full promised benefits and 25% of people get zero" looks like a winner in an election. Who can resist getting 75% of the popular vote?
I've already been told to my face that I should have my SS taken away because I'm "Rich and don't deserve it".

I replied that I don't know who that fellow "Rich" is, but I'm Marko and I DO deserve it.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I've already been told to my face that I should have my SS taken away because I'm "Rich and don't deserve it".

I replied that I don't know who that fellow "Rich" is, but I'm Marko and I DO deserve it.
+1. I think SS will mostly survive as is as long as people are receiving "their" money in the form of payments based to a certain extent on their prior contributions. If the connection to contributions is severed i.e. it becomes solely a welfare transfer payment then it'll go the way of the dodo.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

For those who haven't already retired and believe that life for the "millenial" and later generations is or will be tougher than in the past, are you doing anything to mitigate it?
AnonEMouse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEMouse View Post
For those who haven't already retired and believe that life for the "millenial" and later generations is or will be tougher than in the past, are you doing anything to mitigate it?
I'm a champion for DB plans
Old 02-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
As in you suggest your kids take jobs with pensions?
AnonEMouse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEMouse View Post
As in you suggest your kids take jobs with pensions?
I don't have any kids - can't afford them
Old 02-29-2016, 05:58 AM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
As someone from Illinois, I prefer the DC benefit to prevent "fuzzy math" that our local politicians are oh so fond of. Much like cashback credit cards, when its easier to compare the benefits you're able to make more informed decisions which can lead to better competition for the best employees/customers.

But hey, if you have a job that has a fully funded pension, private or public, more power to you, they're certainly tempting
Greencheese is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-29-2016, 06:26 AM   #129
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I don't have any kids - can't afford them
+1
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #130

I've been hearing that Social Security will be insolvent in 30 years for the past 30 years. It hasn't happened yet. This problem can easily be fixed by Congress. If only they would read the preamble if the Constitution every day. Especially the part about promoting the general welfare and securing the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity. There is a lot that can be done to correct the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2016, 04:24 AM   #131
Dryer sheet wannabe

It is definitely harder for young people financially now than it was in 1975. Adjusted for inflation:

* The price of a public 4 year college education has increased by 138% since 1975
* The price of a private 4 year college education has increased by 157% since 1975
* Payroll taxes have increased from 9.9% to 12.4% since 1975
* The maximum taxable income for social security has increased from $64,516 (CPI adjusted 2015 dollars) in 1975 to $118,500
* The median single family home has increased from about $150,000 to over $200,000 since 1975
* From 1975 to 2005, healthcare spending per capital has increased by over 255%

At the same time, median household income adjusted for inflation has been somewhere between flat and +25% over the last 50 years.

Obviously everyone has anecdotes of ridiculous people, but it would certainly make it a lot easier to save in general if young people had all the extra money from those fixed costs if they were still at 1975 levels.
Droo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 09:56 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

+1, Marko. I have been paying in to SS for over 50 years. I found that if I had taken that money and invested it, I would be way ahead.
Someone else here had a great Quote-"I am not rich, I am poor with a lot of money"
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2016, 07:50 PM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

A 401k with employer “matching” can be a great deal, but absent such an account a lot can be done with an IRA.

When I set up my first IRA (alas, too many decades ago), it was self-directed with Charles Schwab. Something like 20 years ago we migrated to a custodian that allowed greater choices than Schwab, including using the IRA to purchase rental real estate. That option worked out well for us.

Re a 401k, my “gripe” would be that the typical custodian selected by the employer has minimal investment options. While I’m not that excited about just securities, if I went back into business I would consider a 401k account thru a place like Charles Schwab, where the employees could have a very broad selection, vs a typical one company, or something so limited as the five options in the federal Thrift Savings Plan. To me, ideally the 401k custodian would be willing to work with any investment that is not prohibited under IRA rules…
unno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2016, 09:18 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droo View Post
It is definitely harder for young people financially now than it was in 1975. Adjusted for inflation:
. . ..
* The price of a public 4 year college education has increased by 138% since 1975
* The price of a private 4 year college education has increased by 157% since 1975
. . . .
* The median single family home has increased from about $150,000 to over $200,000 since 1975
. . . . .
but it would certainly make it a lot easier to save in general if young people had all the extra money from those fixed costs if they were still at 1975 levels.
Is our modern put-upon young person going to pay the same interest rates as young people paid in 1975? Mortgages then were 9%, and the payment (30 yr fixed) on that $150K house was $1,207. At 4% today, our young person's $200K house comes with a mortgage payment of $954. Put that $250 difference per month against the principal and today's young person will own his home many years before his 1975 counterpart.

Student loan rates are also a lot lower. And student loan money is a lot easier to get than in 1975 (surely a double-edged sword).
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2016, 09:27 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unno2002 View Post
Re a 401k, my “gripe” would be that the typical custodian selected by the employer has minimal investment options. While I’m not that excited about just securities, if I went back into business I would consider a 401k account thru a place like Charles Schwab, where the employees could have a very broad selection, vs a typical one company, or something so limited as the five options in the federal Thrift Savings Plan.
I can understand your reasoning, but my major gripe about 401K plans is high costs. While some employees might appreciate a huge spectrum of investment options, in the aggregate most would do a lot better with just a few prudent, low-cost choices (like the federal TSP--and they have more than 5 options). I don't know that employers >should< be paternalistic and just offer a few reasonable low-cost funds and some CDs, but I feel confident that most employees would end up ahead if employers did so.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

In 1985 I felt lucky to be granted a 12.75% mortgage.

And I grumbled at the generation ahead of me, for driving up house prices. They had it so easy, I thought at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Is our modern put-upon young person going to pay the same interest rates as young people paid in 1975? Mortgages then were 9%, and the payment (30 yr fixed) on that $150K house was $1,207. At 4% today, our young person's $200K house comes with a mortgage payment of $954. Put that $250 difference per month against the principal and today's young person will own his home many years before his 1975 counterpart.

Student loan rates are also a lot lower. And student loan money is a lot easier to get than in 1975 (surely a double-edged sword).
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
In 1985 I felt lucky to be granted a 12.75% mortgage.

And I grumbled at the generation ahead of me, for driving up house prices. They had it so easy, I thought at the time.
DW was ecstatic when she bought her first house in 86 and got 8.5%

We just refied a jumbo 10/1 ARM at 3%
Old 08-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unno2002 View Post
A 401k with employer “matching” can be a great deal, but absent such an account a lot can be done with an IRA.
not really, I think IRAs are pretty crappy, pre-retirement - the deduction limits are way too low

same for 401ks - I'd be a lot happier if the 402g and 415c limits were repealed
Old 08-02-2016, 09:18 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
They don't even need to get rid of 401k's. One option would be to increase IRA contribution limits to the same level as 401k/403b/etc and keep the same rules (if you're not covered by a workplace plan, tIRA contributions are 100% deductible, otherwise subject to income limits).
I agree, that would be a simple fix that would *mostly* eliminate the unfairness of allowing some people to save more in tax deferred retirement plans simply because it is offered to them by their employer. I think all workers should have the option to save for retirement in a tax deductible plan up to the same limits offered by employer sponsored retirement plans.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #140
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
What do engineering interns make these days? Google suggests anywhere from $20-$30/hour -- don't know if this is accurate.
Our company starts (1st rotation) at $22/hour, increasing from there each term.
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply