Join Early Retirement Today

In what month and year does Obamacare go into effect?
Old 08-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

In what month and year does Obamacare go into effect?

I know that different parts of the plan are rolling out on different dates. Assuming any legal challenges fail, I would like to know in what month and year could I purchase health insurance through the Obamacare plan.

Also, if I leave my employment prior to that date, will I still be eligible for COBRA based health insurance, if I pay the COBRA premium, for up to 18 months prior to the initiation of Obamacare plan of insurance?

The start date for Obamacare initiation will play a role in my departure date from employment.

Thank you for your advice.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

This should be able to tell you everything you need to know about the implementation schedule for the new healthcare act: Implementation Timeline - Kaiser Health Reform

Edit: Looks like Jan 1, 2014 is the date you can begin to purchase guaranteed issue individual health insurance.

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #3

Cobra has not changed and continues in full force. We are dealing with regulations that are not yet effectively in place so there may be changes prior to full implementation, as well as unforeseen issues that show up the first couple of months. Coverage and pricing are also unknown. I would not abandon job-related health care until these things were clearer.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter777 View Post
The start date for Obamacare initiation will play a role in my departure date from employment.
You may have noticed that there are efforts to repeal the legislation and find parts or all of it unconstitutional. I wouldn't plan too heavily on any pieces of this legislation until it has passed through the Supreme Court and we know the outcome of the election in 2012.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would not drop current coverage (i.e., quit work) until I had a workable solution in place.

I would not plan on using those state healthcare exchanges until you are sure the legislation will survive and your state implements it.

You can check to see if your state has a plan to implement the exchanges.

You could also check on individual policy directly with an insurance company. You should probably talk with an insurance agent to get the details.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

We"re in the same boat. We're waiting until after the 2012 election to see where the bill goes. I saw an estimate this morning that the SC should have heard the case and made it's ruling by July of next year. Thirty five states have established transitional high risk pools in the meantime and 11 states have some form of guaranteed issuance already (although neither of the states that I want to live in fall into that category). I'm not sure if the HR pools will disappear if the bill is overturned, but I am quite sure that there will be no replacement bill. I wish it would get settled!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella_Barbone View Post
I wish it would get settled!
But if the SC gave their decision promptly, we might have the impression that they hadn't really thought about it all that much -- a political whim. This way, after nearly a year, we will know that they've been deeply deliberating, deliberating, thinking, thinking.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Well, presumably Justice Kennedy is pondering, pondering, pondering, because I'm fairly certain that the other 8 have made up their minds.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This should be able to tell you everything you need to know about the implementation schedule for the new healthcare act: Implementation Timeline - Kaiser Health Reform
Thanks, REW, that's a very useful link.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Obamacare
do you mean the Affordable Care Act?
Old 08-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #11

It might also be wise to figure in the implementation date of TEOTWAWKI on December 21, 2012.

2012 phenomenon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #12

2014 is the date I have heard for full coverage. When in 2014? I am not sure.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #13

Let's keep politics off this thread please, the OP asked a good question that many are interested in.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Let's keep politics off this thread please, the OP asked a good question that many are interested in.
Thanks for your "guidence"...
Old 08-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut
2014 is the date I have heard for full coverage. When in 2014? I am not sure.
Right, various aspects phase in between last fall and 2018, but the important clause -- guaranteed issuance -- is scheduled to become law Jan 1, 2014 [MODERATOR EDIT]. Repeal would be just about impossible since the Senate currently runs on supermajority rules, but loss of the individual mandate with a Supreme Court ruling would probably make the whole plan unsustainable pretty quickly. I understand that Costa Rica has an excellent healthcare system ....
Old 08-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

GregLee, are you thinking all but Kennedy will support the ACA? That would be my guess but...
Old 08-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella_Barbone View Post
I wish it would get settled!
For those looking for a SCOTUS decision in the near term so they can make plans, that's not likely. I won't go into politics pro/con or Dem/Rep here, but there's a good case to be made that proponents of the AHCA should/will seek to avoid a Supreme Court decision before the 2012 election, and that they will take steps to slow the process down in order to achieve this result. Those who oppose the law would prefer a quicker decision, but the more powerful "tools" are at the disposal of those who want the decision to be delayed.

It is fair and all part of the way the system works. But it means it will be a bit longer before anyone should make concrete plans.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter777 View Post
I know that different parts of the plan are rolling out on different dates. Assuming any legal challenges fail, I would like to know in what month and year could I purchase health insurance through the Obamacare plan.

Also, if I leave my employment prior to that date, will I still be eligible for COBRA based health insurance, if I pay the COBRA premium, for up to 18 months prior to the initiation of Obamacare plan of insurance?

Thank you for your advice.
I suspect lots of people continue working primarily to get access to group health insurance. When so-called "Obamacare" passed, I began thinking that after July 1 2012 (e.g. 18 month COBRA eligibility period before pre-existing condition underwriting goes away) we would see a large drop in the labor force participation. In fact, the CBO estimated 800k jobs would be "lost" due to this legislation passing. I wonder if those job "losses" are really voluntary retirements of people who were only working for the insurance.

As of right now, I hope to be one of those ER-people, but I think its wiser to wait until the SC decision and election are known.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
I suspect lots of people continue working primarily to get access to group health insurance. When so-called "Obamacare" passed, I began thinking that after July 1 2012 (e.g. 18 month COBRA eligibility period before pre-existing condition underwriting goes away) we would see a large drop in the labor force participation. In fact, the CBO estimated 800k jobs would be "lost" due to this legislation passing. I wonder if those job "losses" are really voluntary retirements of people who were only working for the insurance.

As of right now, I hope to be one of those ER-people, but I think its wiser to wait until the SC decision and election are known.
My Firecalc number puts me in the class of 2013, so I might become one of the 800K statistics you quoted, if the law stays. I would be fine to give up my job to anyone unemployed and qualified to do my job. I think that would help the society in a small way.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
I've sometimes wondered this, too. If -- *if* -- the law is upheld by the Supreme Court, a lot of folks who are only still working for health insurance may start planning to head for the exits after 7/1/2012. If so, it might help the unemployment problem a little bit. The only question is, would businesses backfill most of these positions?

If the "individual mandate" piece of the law is thrown out in court, the whole thing becomes unworkable as there's no way you can eliminate medical underwriting without a universal mandate. So in reality, I'm not fully counting on this becoming law in 2014, but we'll see and roll with the punches accordingly.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote