Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Inequality For All
Old 03-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Inequality For All

The movie Inequality For All was recently added to Netflix. I had wanted to see it when it first came out in theaters, but it only played for a very limited time. So it was good to finally see it after hearing much about it.

The film is hosted by Robert Reich, former US Secretary of Labor. He explains his theories on why the wealth distribution has changed so substantially over the past fifty years in this country. It focuses on the 99% vs the 1%, and his theories on how our country got there. It is told from the perspective of him giving a lecture at UC Berkeley to a large group of students, while cutting away to live footage and graphics to illustrate his points.

I found it very enlightening, although I was left wondering what to do about the situation after I finished watching. It definitely is worth taking the time to view if you have access to the movie.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tempting to watch other than Reich is a bit of a loony bird.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #3

Moving this thread to the "FIRE Related Political Topics".

Old 03-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
The movie Inequality For All ...

The film is hosted by Robert Reich, former US Secretary of Labor. He explains his theories on ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'll try to watch it. But I'm in pb4uski's camp, on Reich. I don't expect that he will be 'explaining his theories', but will be 'rationalizing his personal view of the world, and presenting cherry-picked data filtered through his own brand of prescription tinted glasses to defend that view'.

I recall listening to Reich on NPR years ago when I was in the car. Fortunately, I was parked, waiting to pick the kids up from dance class, because I probably would have crashed the car other wise. He said something I agreed with! I almost lost it!

Now I can't recall what it was he said exactly, but I do recall it was also memorable because while I agreed with it, it was pointed at corporations, but the same concept should (IMO) be pointed at governments. But I suspect Reich would not agree with that!

But honest, I'll keep an open mind!

-ERD50
Old 03-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

NB4 Porky...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 03-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was left wondering what to do about the situation after I finished watching.
Thanks for your review of the movie. I am quite interested in that topic and will be sure to watch it.

I think time plus changing demographics will alter American politics, taxes, and distribution of wealth in the long run -

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/13/us...an-births.html

Unless, as Stephen Colbert put it, science finds a way for Hispanic women to give birth to old white men.

In the short run, while the U.S. may have issues with wealth inequality, the happiness inequality gap may not be quite as large. After a certain income level, studies show more money does not bring more happiness anyway. One common figure mentioned in the news is $75K, but we have many members here who have food, shelter, medical care plus all the "necessities of the soul" on household spending levels much less than that.

I think just posting here about the advantages of living within ones means actually does help many people learn to be savers and achieve happiness through financial security.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
After a certain income level, studies show more money does not bring more happiness anyway. One common figure mentioned in the news is $75K, but we have many members here who have food, shelter, medical care plus all the "necessities of the soul" on household spending levels much less than that.
Yes, I do believe that having close family and friends who you enjoy being with and who you can rely on for friendship and support is far more valuable than having lots of money.

But the documentary reminds us that there are still a significant percentage of the population that does not have enough money to secure shelter and food. It's pretty tough to find happiness under those circumstances.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But the documentary reminds us that there are still a significant percentage of the population that does not have enough money to secure shelter and food. It's pretty tough to find happiness under those circumstances.
Yes, I agree with you 100% on that point. Without that there is still a happiness gap. People need the basics covered to be happy, like health care, a safe place to live, shelter and healthy food.

But I have realized after paying for college that it doesn't take a huge amount of money for college kids to live and have all the basics, even if the shelter is just one side of a dorm room. Our kids and their friends aren't depressed living like that. They actually seem quite happy.

I have considered working with charities that provide tiny houses for homeless people -

Tiny houses helping with homeless problem in U.S. - CBS News

If you look at the non-school related costs of living even around U.C.L.A., an expensive city in an expensive state, you can have all the bare bones necessities for a pretty low spending level -

https://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/budget.htm

If you have reasonable costs for medical care. The ACA tax credits and Medicaid expansion are at least helping with that.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
NB4 Porky...
If I'm going to watch the movie and comment, I better be quick about it!

-ERD50
Old 03-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I have found that Robert Reich gives consistently clear, well-thought out explanations on many subjects. I see nothing loony about him whatsoever. [mod edit]
Old 03-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #11

Frankly, I'll not watch the movie. I find it really tiresome to listen to "rich" folks whine about inequality. I'd be impressed if instead shedding crockodile tears, they would share their wealth with the poor and downtrodden.

Reportedly Reich's net worth is around US $4 million and is, as far as I lnow currently paid by UCLA Berkeley a handsome sum. I do not begrudge his wealth. I wonder how much of his wealth goes to those he talks of not having enough.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #12