Inequality For All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ready

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The movie Inequality For All was recently added to Netflix. I had wanted to see it when it first came out in theaters, but it only played for a very limited time. So it was good to finally see it after hearing much about it.

The film is hosted by Robert Reich, former US Secretary of Labor. He explains his theories on why the wealth distribution has changed so substantially over the past fifty years in this country. It focuses on the 99% vs the 1%, and his theories on how our country got there. It is told from the perspective of him giving a lecture at UC Berkeley to a large group of students, while cutting away to live footage and graphics to illustrate his points.

I found it very enlightening, although I was left wondering what to do about the situation after I finished watching. It definitely is worth taking the time to view if you have access to the movie.

The movie Inequality For All ...

The film is hosted by Robert Reich, former US Secretary of Labor. He explains his theories on ...

Tempting to watch other than Reich is a bit of a loony bird.

I'll try to watch it. But I'm in pb4uski's camp, on Reich. I don't expect that he will be 'explaining his theories', but will be 'rationalizing his personal view of the world, and presenting cherry-picked data filtered through his own brand of prescription tinted glasses to defend that view'.

I recall listening to Reich on NPR years ago when I was in the car. Fortunately, I was parked, waiting to pick the kids up from dance class, because I probably would have crashed the car other wise. He said something I agreed with! I almost lost it! :LOL:

Now I can't recall what it was he said exactly, but I do recall it was also memorable because while I agreed with it, it was pointed at corporations, but the same concept should (IMO) be pointed at governments. But I suspect Reich would not agree with that!

But honest, I'll keep an open mind! :LOL::LOL:

-ERD50

I was left wondering what to do about the situation after I finished watching.

Thanks for your review of the movie. I am quite interested in that topic and will be sure to watch it.

I think time plus changing demographics will alter American politics, taxes, and distribution of wealth in the long run -

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/13/u...-white-americans-more-deaths-than-births.html

Unless, as Stephen Colbert put it, science finds a way for Hispanic women to give birth to old white men. :)

In the short run, while the U.S. may have issues with wealth inequality, the happiness inequality gap may not be quite as large. After a certain income level, studies show more money does not bring more happiness anyway. One common figure mentioned in the news is $75K, but we have many members here who have food, shelter, medical care plus all the "necessities of the soul" on household spending levels much less than that.

I think just posting here about the advantages of living within ones means actually does help many people learn to be savers and achieve happiness through financial security.

After a certain income level, studies show more money does not bring more happiness anyway. One common figure mentioned in the news is $75K, but we have many members here who have food, shelter, medical care plus all the "necessities of the soul" on household spending levels much less than that.

Yes, I do believe that having close family and friends who you enjoy being with and who you can rely on for friendship and support is far more valuable than having lots of money.

But the documentary reminds us that there are still a significant percentage of the population that does not have enough money to secure shelter and food. It's pretty tough to find happiness under those circumstances.

But the documentary reminds us that there are still a significant percentage of the population that does not have enough money to secure shelter and food. It's pretty tough to find happiness under those circumstances.

Yes, I agree with you 100% on that point. Without that there is still a happiness gap. People need the basics covered to be happy, like health care, a safe place to live, shelter and healthy food.

But I have realized after paying for college that it doesn't take a huge amount of money for college kids to live and have all the basics, even if the shelter is just one side of a dorm room. Our kids and their friends aren't depressed living like that. They actually seem quite happy.

I have considered working with charities that provide tiny houses for homeless people -

Tiny houses helping with homeless problem in U.S. - CBS News

If you look at the non-school related costs of living even around U.C.L.A., an expensive city in an expensive state, you can have all the bare bones necessities for a pretty low spending level -

https://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/budget.htm

If you have reasonable costs for medical care. The ACA tax credits and Medicaid expansion are at least helping with that.

Last edited:
Tempting to watch other than Reich is a bit of a loony bird.
I have found that Robert Reich gives consistently clear, well-thought out explanations on many subjects. I see nothing loony about him whatsoever. [mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly, I'll not watch the movie. I find it really tiresome to listen to "rich" folks whine about inequality. I'd be impressed if instead shedding crockodile tears, they would share their wealth with the poor and downtrodden.

Reportedly Reich's net worth is around US $4 million and is, as far as I lnow currently paid by UCLA Berkeley a handsome sum. I do not begrudge his wealth. I wonder how much of his wealth goes to those he talks of not having enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom