Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
I am also curious if the representatives who ran off were compensated during that period.
Yes, they were/are..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #242
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I'm pretty sure I saw on last night's "Rachel Maddow Show" that the first of recall campaigns succeeded in gathering enough signatures a month ahead of the deadline and am curious about what the mood in Wisconsin is with a bit of time passed since the events surrounding the collective bargaining protests occurred. Any Badgers have updates?
So, ya want updates, do ya? The publishing of the bill was blocked by a temporary restraining order from a Madison circuit court judge, the request was made by the local DA. Both judge and DA are Democrats, and the judge has strong union ties. There have been a couple hearings and she ruled the injunction stays in place. The bill needs to published to become law under state statute. There seems to be a lot of discussion as to whether a local circuit court judge can block a bill made by the legislature as there is no legal precedent for it. However, it is Madison, Wisconsin, also nicknamed "the Berkley of the Midweat" so it surprises none of us...........An appeal was made to a court of Appeals committe, who kicked it to the Wisconsin Supreme Court, who has yet to decide if they want the case. It appears the bill will not be ruled on for up to 2 months.

NO legal action against the 14 senators who ran away to Illinois, apparently they were too radical even for Illinois politicians, so they gave them back........

We have a Supreme Court Justice race being held tomorrow, a Republican incumbent is up against a Democratic challenger who has never been a judge. However, she has a good chance of winning due to recent events.

My prediction? None of the legislation passed by the Wisconsin legislature will ever become law. Obstructionists will block everything in the courts, and our Governor will have his hands tied. The Dems are buying time until they can either get recall elections going or until the 2012 state elections.

I am beginning to believe that Chicago politicians are above the board folks.........

I am not making this stuff up..........

Old 04-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #243
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks very much for the concise update, FinanceDude - very interesting. We outside of WI will be watching.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
My prediction? None of the legislation passed by the Wisconsin legislature will ever become law. Obstructionists will block everything in the courts, and our Governor will have his hands tied.
Yea for the good side.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #245
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Yea for the good side.
I guess you don't believe in the democratic process?

-ERD50
Old 04-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I guess you don't believe in the democratic process?
Sure I do. Say, you're not trying to imply that the rule of law is not part of the democratic process, are you?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #247
gone traveling

Quote:
Yea for the good side.
So, what do you think about Obamacare being thrown out by multiple judges? Still "yea for the democratic process"?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #248
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sure I do. Say, you're not trying to imply that the rule of law is not part of the democratic process, are you?
Well, the bill came up to be voted on. That's the democratic process, and the rule of law, as I understand it. Vote on it and present it to the executive branch for signature or veto. Attempt to over-ride the veto.

There is a very good legitimate reason to require a quorum for a vote. We don't want a group to plan to get a law passed by 'sneaking' it in when some of the dissenting votes are not there. But in this case, the voters had plenty of notice to show up for the vote. I feel a minority of the Representatives abused the spirit of the law requiring a quorum.

And the noisy protesters represent a minority of a minority. If they get their way, I'd call that anarchy. The representatives and the Governor were voted in by the residents of Wisconsin. Those reps should do the job they were elected to do. Regardless of whether you or I agree with the law. We aren't dictators.

-ERD50
Old 04-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
So, what do you think about Obamacare being thrown out by multiple judges? Still "yea for the democratic process"?
Absolutely. You won't catch me being deliberately inconsistent. Win some, lose some.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I feel a minority of the Representatives abused the spirit of the law requiring a quorum.
I'll have to concede that an abuse of the spirit of the law may have occurred.
Quote:
And the noisy protesters represent a minority of a minority. If they get their way, I'd call that anarchy.
Would you? I don't really understand why that is anarchy. Is it the noisiness?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #251

While I appreciate the beauty and friendly people of Wisconsin, I would not want to live there while the current governor is in office.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #252
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
While I appreciate the beauty and friendly people of Wisconsin, I would not want to live there while the current governor is in office.
Luckily, you can make 49 other choices! It's nice to have a big country. Lots of experiments. Same with counties within each state. Some of our big cities have chosen a particular political path over the last 50 years, and now a lot of their residents are deciding that path is a dead end. It offers no hope to their neighbors and kids. Property is cheap right now in Detroit.

From a very good recent blog post by Walter Russel Meade at American Interest:
Quote:
The Census reported that waves of blue state blacks fled the stagnant job opportunities, high taxes and rotten social conditions of the mostly blue northern states to seek better lives for themselves in the south. . . .Blacks across the North are fleeing the urban paradises of liberal legislation and high public union membership for the benighted suburbs. . . .Blue economic policy has cut the creation of new private sector jobs to a trickle in our great cities, while the high costs of public union urban services (and policies that favor government employees over the citizenry at large) impose crippling taxes and contribute to the ruinously high costs that blight opportunity. All the social welfare bureaucracies, diversity counselors and minority set-asides can’t make up for the colossal failure of blue social policy to create sustainable lower middle class prosperity in our cities.
Some cities/counties/states will vote themselves into terrible shape. As long as they don't ask other locations to bail them out, nobody should have any objections.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Its easy to armchair quarterback from 3000+ miles away.......

Old 04-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #254
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yea for the good side.
The other bills coming are to pass a law requiring a photo ID when you vote (majority of states have this) and concealed carry (many states have this too)..........doubt either will pass.......

Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Luckily, you can make 49 other choices! It's nice to have a big country.
I couldn't agree more!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #256
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Believe me, it was a LONG EIGHT YEARS when "Diamond Jim" Doyle was in office, off the top of my head, he:

Negotiated long-term gaming compacts directly with the Indian nations (illegal under state law, only the legislature can do this)

Raided the state gas tax fund (Transportation Fund) of over $1 billion to pay for projects not related to roads, and gave the money to school districts.

Approved many NO-BID projects and gave them to his largest political supporters.

Raided a state fund set aside to pay victims of medical malpractice of $215 million, the state Supreme Court overturned the ruling but the fund has yet to be replentished.

Passed most major legislation between 2and 3am at the Capitol, and allowed virtually no discussion from Republican lawmakers because there was a majority in the Senate and Assembly......

I could go on and on. The only folks who liked him were unionized state employees.........

Old 04-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #257

My best wishes for the citizens of Wisconsin to get things sorted out. My earlier comment was about the current governor, not the prior one. You have to start where you are.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Its easy to armchair quarterback from 3000+ miles away.......
So, you mean, since I don't live in the 48 contiguous states, the true America, I don't really have a right to an opinion? Why don't you just say so? --- don't just hint around.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #259
gone traveling

Quote:

Things are getting pretty bad when one bought-and paid-for judge can overturn legislation passed by an elected majority of bought-and paid-for politicians...
Old 04-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #260
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So, you mean, since I don't live in the 48 contiguous states, the true America, I don't really have a right to an opinion? Why don't you just say so? --- don't just hint around.
Not at all, you just seem to be making blanket statements without any facts to back them up...........what does "yea, for the good side" mean, in your opinion?

Closed Thread