Is there any benefit to AARP?

Just curious if there are any other AMAC members among us, besides myself.

+1, my assessment as well. I like discounts as much or more than anyone, but I can’t overlook their politics to get them - their myopic views on Soc Sec are shameful and I’m a senior. There are plenty of other avenues to discounts.

I would like to know more about these "myopic views" of AARP on Social Security. Can you give me some examples so I can look more closely at this? Thanks!

I despise AARP.
A lobbying organization designed to steal money from children. Your grandchildren.

I hope they take enough from the children and grandchildren to pay me back for all the taxes I had to pay to support them...

I have been a member since I was 40. I had to lie on the application as AARP wants you to be 50, to be a member. Outback steakhouse has a 15% discount (or maybe 10%?)

I have received many hotel discounts. Now I am a disabled Vet, I get many military discounts and I do not need AARP as much, but will likely renew again.

I would like to know more about these "myopic views" of AARP on Social Security. Can you give me some examples so I can look more closely at this? Thanks!
Hard to fully elaborate without inviting Porky, have you looked into AARP’s positions and actions on entitlements? Unless they’ve changed their position, they’ve advocated for preserving entitlement benefits as is indefinitely regardless of what it means to working generations who will have to pay for it. They’re not interested in shared sacrifice period. That’s myopic, selfish IMO.

AARP recently announced its staunch opposition to any reductions in benefits for seniors, saying, "Our message to the super committee today is clear: No cuts to Medicare or Social Security benefits."

It's also hard to imagine support among the younger generation for major reductions in entitlement spending on them while exempting seniors, considering the wide gap in wealth between older and younger Americans.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/aarp-position-on-social-security-and-medicare-is-not-realistic/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/aarp-social-security-campaign_us_56c3854fe4b0c3c55052e81e

https://www.aarp.org/politics-socie...-aarp-stands-on-medicare-social-security.html

Last edited:
I joined when I was 50... seemed like the thing to do. I stopped after 5 or so years... the benefits of membership were negligible since most discounts overlap with AAA and their publications are just so-so... hardly worth $16 a year and junk mail from them was annoying as well.

Besides, I found myself really disliking their stances on political issues... too one-sided with no consideration of the greater good.

Very glad I quit. Never again.

I'm surprised at the number of AAA members. I'm going to have to start a new thread.

No, you need to have an agent call or visit. But I didn't have a problem with this. I contacted several agents not associated with AARP and they all told me they could not come close to the AARP rates. AARP's LTC policies are through Genworth.

Thanks. I didn't even know AARP still had policies through Genworth.

I'm a bit surprised they haven't been able to negotiate better discounts. It's got to be a pretty large organization with a lot of members. So far the discounts mentioned pretty much sound like run of the mill discounts that you could get by just looking around the internet a bit or using some Groupon deals.

It's likely that AARP negotiates larger endorsement compensation from these business rather than larger discounts for the membership.

I'll repeat myself; their position is "DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING, EVER" for beneficiaries. Which is clearly unsupportable with the upcoming insolvency of medicare and SS. In 1958 when AARP was founded there were about 5:1 payees to beneficiaries for SS. Now there are less then 3:1 and we are headed for 2:1. As far as I can tell, AARP refuses to recognize this simple math.

I'm not saying all adjustments should come from beneficiaries, but as best I can tell AARP is saying all adjustments should come from taxpayers.

DDad had AARP to get United Health Sup that was very good. We too found out he could drop AARP and keep UH, which he did. Spouse & I still have mbrshp it’s included in some other deal. I read the newspaper tonight cover to cover. IMHO Total waste. I have benefited from the discount directly on hotel websites.

The discount on 1 hotel stay per year is usually enough to pay for the membership (though we usually use it multiple times per year). I like the magazine.

My husband tried to use it to buy alcohol when he got carded at the grocery store earlier this year. It didn't work.

We find that for hotels that AAA and AARP almost totally overlap and we have AAA so AARP adds little... if we didn't have AAA then totally agree.

Not a member, and no plans to join, as I see minimal benefit. But I am curious about all who complain about AARP not considering the “greater good”, as the royal we keep electing “my way or the highway” partisans...

I use it all the time. Here in Philly I get discounts at the movies (saw star wars for 6 bucks and get discounts on the concession stand). I don't have AAA as my car insurance gives me free roadside assistance. Also use it for theme park ticket discounts.
Lol not sure how they are "stealing" money from my grandkids as it was 10 bucks. I spend more than that on soda

Hard to fully elaborate without inviting Porky, have you looked into AARP’s positions and actions on entitlements? Unless they’ve changed their position, they’ve advocated for preserving entitlement benefits as is indefinitely regardless of what it means to working generations who will have to pay for it. They’re not interested in shared sacrifice period. That’s myopic, selfish IMO.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/aarp-position-on-social-security-and-medicare-is-not-realistic/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/aarp-social-security-campaign_us_56c3854fe4b0c3c55052e81e

https://www.aarp.org/politics-socie...-aarp-stands-on-medicare-social-security.html
I have to ask, where are all these self sacraficing seniors who are willing to have their SS benefits cut? Because the seniors in my family will slit your throat before you can finish the statement.

I find people who use the "greater good" argument usually mean "it won't hurt me so go ahead"

I totally admit, yep I want every last drop of my "entitlement "

Last edited:
The discussion has shifted into entitlement reform, so the thread has been moved to the FIRE and Policy forum.

Guess what? 54 and never, ever got a solicitation from AARP.

I believe this is because I got us on the DMA "do not junk mail me" list.

Peace is bliss. Sounds like if I contact them or sign up, that will open up floodgates since I'll have a "relationship" with the organization. No thank you.

I know little about AARPs lobbying regarding Social Security and Medicare, but when I look at their website, these are the things they say they are campaigning for:

• Achieve long-term solvency and adequacy. Social Security should be sufficiently financed to ensure solvency for the long-term. Solvency proposals must ensure meaningful benefits for future generations.
  • Reaffirm Social Security’s fundamental character. Social Security should continue to provide a stable foundation for retirement income. It should remain a partnership among individuals, employers and the federal government. It should also maintain its role in providing protection for workers and families affected by death or disability. All covered workers should contribute equitably to the program and receive benefits.
  • Ensure protections for those most in need. Reforms should take into account the needs of those most reliant on Social Security and those who have difficulty postponing retirement.
  • Recognize the value of Social Security’s core elements. Social Security should continue to reward work. The key elements of Social Security’s successful program structure should be preserved: progressive, defined benefits that cannot be outlived; inflation protection; and benefits related to earnings.
  • Make improvements to reflect today’s workforce. An updated Social Security program must address the economic and demographic changes over the last 80 years to be able to respond to the needs of future beneficiaries and their families.
  • Ensure fairness. Changes to the program should be implemented gradually and should protect current beneficiaries and near retirees.

I don't see "Don't change anything ever" nor do I see "steal from grandchildren"

Are there some other places I should go to learn more about AARP lobbying that some posters are complaining about?

Speaking for myself and those I have discussed this with in person, the problem with AARP is its actions not the vague boilerplate on its website. its so vague in fact, that they can and have since the 1983 to 1986 reform of SS, opposed any actual changes.

You can find AMAC's proposal here :https://amac.us/social-security/

it is much more specific and bipartisan in its endorsements. A few highlights are a COLA tiered to income (AGI), with interestingly a 1% min for all, which is certainly better than what those on SS have been getting recently, a gradual increase in FRA to age 69, and a whole lot more detail that you can find at the above link. its not perfect IMHO, for example so allowance will have to be made in the tiered COLA maximums if/when inflation takes off, but its a real good start.

AARP holds a number of political positions that I don't endorse. So I will never join.
Oh, if only I could stop their constant junk mail. It never lets up. They certainly "kill a lot of trees."

The two or three hotel discounts a year pay for the membership and I don't know who else is going to be lobbying against cutting Medicare, Medicaid, and SS next year. So I'll join again.

Back
Top Bottom