Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

AARP lobbies for people. not organizations, animals, public lands, or corporations. Very few of the lobbyist in Washington lobby for actual people. I don't expect to agree with every position AARP holds, but I do appreciate their effort on the behalf of us senior citizens.

When my current AT&T contract runs out, the AARP cell phone plan is very good, and I'll change to that.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2017, 06:17 PM   #82
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
AARP does three things:
* Lobbies at the federal level regarding senior issues (they were the first grey panthers)
* Sells membership data and the licensing rights to use their logo (this is where they make their money)
* Funds a charitable foundation that acts to support seniors who are at the extreme low end of income with food, housing, extra income, and isolation

So for $16 you are helping with their overhead. They used to sponsor annual conferences with speakers. Cost was $25 to attend for 3 days, with discounted hotel accomodation nearby, and a HUGE vendor area. Again most of the income did not come from the attendees.

As others have said, their publications are mediocre, and this includes their web site. They are making efforts to educate the public about fraud prevention, etc. But overall, most of the members here don't benefit from their discount programs, as many are available just for attaining age 60 or so. But for those who are not as astute as those on this forum, they do provide a service.

You have to decide if you think it's worth $16 a year.

+1
imokurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:19 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
...In the last election the AARP asked for politicians to state what they stand for regarding these issues so that voters could make an informed decision.
That's not lobbying. That's passing the buck to the politicians. Asking THEM to explain to THEIR constituents what they stand for. Something they should be doing without any prodding.

For AARP to earn their keep, they'd have to actually DO something when a politician replies with a meaningless talking point, doesn't reply at all, or votes for legislation which is against AARP's goals.

My contention is that, if they say anything bad about a politician, they're guaranteed to lose 40% of their customers (whichever party that politician happens to belong to.) So they say and do nothing.

Quote:
...When the legislature starts reducing benefits of the poor elderly in order to finance the massive tax breaks for the rich ( I am afraid this is coming soon) I do hope AARP will lobby against this and I plan to volunteer to help in their lobbying efforts.
Don't start down the path of calling Porky now!

But without suggesting they will or won't, IF our fine elected officials do propose legislation that can demonstrably hurt seniors, it'll be interesting to see if AARP has the, uh, testicular fortitude to say something unequivocal about it.

My prediction is they will say something noncommittal like "Check with your congressman about their position on this, and tell them what you think."

I don't need a lobbyist to tell me that. And it's not what I call advocacy.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:03 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I get a few discounts and read the magazine they mail out. Don't agree with all their opinions but have no plans to cancel my subscription.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Some people said they won't buy AARP due to politics, and they can get the same discounts thru AAA anyway. I think it's worth mentioning that AAA is not apolitical. They use member fees to lobby for the interests of drivers -- and against bicyclists and the environment ( https://www.betterworldclub.com/road...cts-about-aaa/ ).
slowsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:41 PM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

We had AAA for many years. Their usefulness pretty much went away with the advent of on-line trip planning and owning more reliable cars.

They locked into some political posturing that was likely influenced by their advertisers. Dropped them. We will never pay for AAA again.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:52 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I bought a 5 year membership in AARP at $12/yr

So if you look around it can be cheaper than $16/yr.

I read the magazine and paper, occasionally I do find an interesting article, good toilet reading.
We have gotten a few discounts on things, like restaurants and hotels - the 15% at Denny's is handy.

I may not agree with everything they lobby or support, but I agree with enough of it that I'll stay a member.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:34 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
15% off at Denny's!
Denny's has their own gold senior card for 10% off. Get it stamped each visit for a free meal after 9 times.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:36 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Their United Health Care Medicare supplement plans are supposed to be among the best. They are community rated, not age rated. I have UHC now and my father had the AARP UHC supplement plan. No problems with them. The One Exchange plans are all through second rate companies known to be difficult. I may hold my nose and join AARP if the supplement plan is really that much better.
I have the United Health Care Medicare plan from AARP and have never been an AARP member. I just googled it and signed up.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:28 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

One benefit of AARP that no one has mentioned is their participation in lawsuits on behalf of seniors. Currently they are involved in over 100 state and federal lawsuits--usually by filing an Amicus Brief but sometimes AARP actually initiates lawsuits. Examples of lawsuits they are involved in include elder abuse, nursing home negligence, age discrimination in the workplace, pension protection, senior fraud. There is a a long list of lawsuits AARP is involved in on their website. I am glad my small dues amount is going for this type of action.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:50 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I bought a 5 year membership in AARP at $12/yr

So if you look around it can be cheaper than $16/yr.

I read the magazine and paper, occasionally I do find an interesting article, good toilet reading.
We have gotten a few discounts on things, like restaurants and hotels - the 15% at Denny's is handy.

I may not agree with everything they lobby or support, but I agree with enough of it that I'll stay a member.
We got ours for $9.80 a year for a 5 year membership.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:12 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Like most things, we’re going to have differing views, discounts vs politics for many - so discussing it here isn't permitted (understandably). And most of us are unlikely to change our views

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:02 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Like most things, we’re going to have differing views, discounts vs politics for many - so discussing it here isn't permitted (understandably). And most of us are unlikely to change our views
I have a differing view...

Seriously, I had hoped this thread would change my views. I'd love to find some value in AARP. I think it's a great idea and I try to look beyond all the negatives (already well documented here and in the other thread) to find some reason to keep sending in my dues.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:03 AM   #94
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
The discounts we have used have easily saved us more than 16 bucks it cost us to join.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:08 AM   #95

Quote:
...usually by filing an Amicus Brief but sometimes AARP actually initiates lawsuits. Examples of lawsuits they are involved in include elder abuse, nursing home negligence, age discrimination in the workplace, pension protection, senior fraud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

Seriously, I had hoped this thread would change my views. I'd love to find some value in AARP...
You don't think some of the stuff AARP does (see highlighted section above) has value?
Old 12-31-2017, 02:17 PM   #96

Certainly your results may vary but I have found benefit to both AAA and AARP from a discount perspective. A few bucks one way or another adds up and more than covers the cost for us.
From a philosophical or political stand point my views on the SS and medicare issue are known. Believe it or not while I'll be OK I do care about those who may pay the price.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
You don't think some of the stuff AARP does (see highlighted section above) has value?
I didn't see anyone who suggested they don't provide any value. Some folks can accept the benefits AARP offers and overlook other activities, some can't. Not categorizing AARP, but even the most universally offensive organizations must provide value to someone...

Old 01-01-2018, 12:57 PM   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Denny's has their own gold senior card for 10% off. Get it stamped each visit for a free meal after 9 times.
We prefer the 15% off.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
I have to ask, where are all these self sacraficing seniors who are willing to have their SS benefits cut? Because the seniors in my family will slit your throat before you can finish the statement.

I find people who use the "greater good" argument usually mean "it won't hurt me so go ahead"

I totally admit, yep I want every last drop of my "entitlement "
+1000!
Old 01-01-2018, 01:06 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
I have to ask, where are all these self sacraficing seniors who are willing to have their SS benefits cut? Because the seniors in my family will slit your throat before you can finish the statement.

I find people who use the "greater good" argument usually mean "it won't hurt me so go ahead"

I totally admit, yep I want every last drop of my "entitlement "
Regardless of what it costs our children, grandchildren, etc.?

FWIW, I think there should be shared sacrifice for payers and payees to extend solvency, and there will have to be a phase in (e.g., those well into depending on SS shouldn't have their benefits summarily cut). And we don't have children/grandchildren, but I still don't think it's fair to the generations that follow ours. Anyone who hasn't known for decades that something needs to be done with entitlements is willfully ignorant.