Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
... Come to think of it, does anyone in the middle rant on? ...
Heck, being in the middle doubles your rant opportunities!

Those ^%#$^@*(&(@ left wingnuts want to do what !!!?
Those ^%#$^@*(&(@ right wingnuts want to do what !!!?

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Luckily its easy to say its all the government's fault. Darn Taxes taking all my money. If nothing else you can always complain that the government takes too much money and usually you can get a universal agreement on that. Its my usual go to small talk conversation if the weather topic doesn't work

Old 02-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I like DW's approach to these folks.

"Really? What specifically makes you think so?"

Nine times out of ten, it comes down to something they heard on some talk radio show.

So that would lead to:

"But what have you personally seen that makes you think so?"

And when those don't work, it's just time to walk away.
+2. Most of the people I encounter with holier-than-thou political views, right or left, are parroting the views of others. If you ask them specific questions or ask them to explain further, they're lost (German Shepard look ) and they'll end the conversation quickly, no conflict required.

Even some very smart people (inexplicably IMO) confine themselves to listening only to politically like minded sources, fail to test their own views, and they're often not that hard to trip up either. Those exchanges often end based on some unquantifiable "truth" that amounts to 'just because it's the morally right thing to do' - even if the economics make no sense at all...a face saving stalemate.

...the underlying economics is often the Achilles of many extreme view political wannabes too. Their "convictions" often evaporate when the source is confronted with the associated spending, revenue, or scale.

Might help, might not. If you're looking for a universal one liner, I don't have it.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Good thing the post office never gets blamed
Old 02-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Or they cite their faith. Requires no explanation, and is of course infallible.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+2. Most of the people I encounter with holier-than-thou political views, right or left, are parroting the views of others. If you ask them specific questions or ask them to explain further, they're lost (German Shepard look ) and they'll end the conversation quickly, no conflict required.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Just tell him you have to go... and excuse yourself to go finish cleaning your guns...
Because the voices told me to.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Because the voices told me to.
Just hope they don't want to tell you about what they hear:what:
MRG
Old 02-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I've tried saying, "I'm afraid I don't share your point of view," with an apologetic
smile on my face, and a friendly tone to my voice.

This serves several purposes for me: I am responding to what I perceive as obnoxious talk,
and am doing something about it, yet I am not setting out to reject or hurt the other person,
merely pointing out that our views differ.

I tried this once on a person with whom I was unfamiliar who incorrectly thought
I would share his views due to our similarity in skin color. He was stopped in his
tracks, and somewhat rattled, but did not become angry with me. I left the
encounter feeling calm, whereas had I not responded, I would have felt irritated
with myself thinking that the other person might have thought I agreed with him!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I ask about the weather forecast. No matter what else they say, I talk about the weather. Doesn't take long.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

You know, I have heard other people do this very thing to head-off a dicey conversation. Few of us, it seems, can resist chipping in on the topic of weather. Then again, someone who is really upset will complain about changing the topic. What does one do then?

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
I ask about the weather forecast. No matter what else they say, I talk about the weather. Doesn't take long.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I don't even vaguely understand "issues" like this. I just try to be sure that I am not perceived this way by people I care about, mostly my family and close friends. Random people are rarely capable of making sense anyway. IF there are 35-40 years between you and your kids, there are going to be some meaningful differences in outlook. I always strive to keep these minor of at least to downplay them. pPople are more important to me than my opinions.

Without this, I would almost never have conversations with most of the people I know. Seattle is probably one of the bluest cities in the US, if I ever told the truth about my political opinions I would be iced immediately. It does help if a conservative has a girlfriend (boyfriend) that she(he) not be an extreme liberal.

Ha
Old 02-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
You know, I have heard other people do this very thing to head-off a dicey conversation. Few of us, it seems, can resist chipping in on the topic of weather. Then again, someone who is really upset will complain about changing the topic. What does one do then?

Amethyst

Cut your losses? Change the subject again? Clam up?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Amethyst
I imagine that tactic doesn't work to well in San Diego!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I don't even vaguely understand "issues" like this. I just try to be sure that I am not perceived this way by people I care about, mostly my family and close friends. Random people are rarely capable of making sense anyway. IF there are 35-40 years between you and your kids, there are going to be some meaningful differences in outlook. I always strive to keep these minor of at least to downplay them. pPople are more important to me than my opinions.

Without this, I would almost never have conversations with most of the people I know. Seattle is probably one of the bluest cities in the US, if I ever told the truth about my political opinions I would be iced immediately. It does help if a conservative has a girlfriend (boyfriend) that she(he) not be an extreme liberal.

Ha
The person described in the OP sounds like a serial complainer (and yes, he might even complain about his cereal! < a tip to the grammar/spelling thread). Either avoid those people or change the subject, 'discussion' isn't what they are after.

But I like probing issues like this to see how other people I share this globe with think, and to test my own thinking. Especially someone outside my generation or background. For me, it's kind of fun, and challenging to think of ways to make a point (or just get the person to question their view) w/o coming across as confrontational (I often fail!). Sometimes there's no right/wrong, or any need to attempt to change the other person's mind, it's just interesting to see the differences.

Like that thread on T-AL's book and 'embellishment'. I'm almost stunned to see how strongly some people feel that a book like that absolutely must be the literal truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. That level of artistic license seemed normal to me. I don't there is any right/wrong there, but I never would have thought people would feel that strongly, and I just find that interesting.

-ERD50
Old 02-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Old 02-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

When people complain about their financial situation and blame the govt, I explain to them its their fault for filling their house with imported goods.