Join Early Retirement Today

John Gault Speaks Up - He must be stopped
Old 03-25-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

John Gault Speaks Up - He must be stopped

John Gault is speaking up and he must be crushed. This man is only able to quit because he has saved his money and invested it. The government needs to enact laws that take away not only his bonus but his savings. Then his American dream will become a nightmare as he must continue to work for AIG.

Why? Because is all the other John Gaults out there quit, the Ponzi scheme would collapse. That would mean that all of us that are retired or planning to do so would be in trouble. Who would be left to pay all the taxes.

See post #11 about the Ponzi scheme
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ore-43334.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/25/op...ntis.html?_r=1

DEAR Mr. Liddy,
It is with deep regret that I submit my notice of resignation from A.I.G. Financial Products. I hope you take the time to read this entire letter. Before describing the details of my decision, I want to offer some context:
++++++
You and I have never met or spoken to each other, so I’d like to tell you about myself. I was raised by schoolteachers working multiple jobs in a world of closing steel mills. My hard work earned me acceptance to M.I.T., and the institute’s generous financial aid enabled me to attend. I had fulfilled my American dream.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I assume you are talking about John Galt from Atlas Shrugged.

My question about the AIG employee is "Did he really 'create wealth' for anyone except himself and his employer?" It seems to me that trading commodities is 99.9% a zero-sum game. Traders provide a public service by providing liquidity, but they'd be willing to do that if they earned $100k per year. His big income does not prove that the rest of us should be terribly concerned if he quits.

(That doesn't mean I agree with after-the-fact punitive taxes. I'm simply questioning the analogy to the novel.)
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

That's a classy letter that says everything perfectly. Good for him. If he's good at his job he'll likely be hired by someone els, but I'm sure he knows that a public letter like this will reduce his market value to future employers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
Traders provide a public service by providing liquidity, but they'd be willing to do that if they earned $100k per year.
I guess these for-profit companies are just not too bright. Here they have a very competitive, high-stakes, zero-sum game (options trading) which requires extensive specialized knowledge in order to out-predict the competition, and they could be getting the same talent whether they pay $100K or $1 million. I wonder why they never thought of that?
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #4

Is it just me, or do elements of this AIG mess show the dangers of when gov't gets involved in business. AIG made a business decision to honor bonus commitments (Debatable whether it was a good one). Now that gov't is involved it isn't looked at with a business eye. It is looked at with a political eye. Can good business decisions be made with a political eye?
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Is it just me, or do elements of this AIG mess show the dangers of when gov't gets involved in business. AIG made a business decision to honor bonus commitments (Debatable whether it was a good one). Now that gov't is involved it isn't looked at with a business eye. It is looked at with a political eye. Can good business decisions be made with a political eye?
AIG created its own mess when they were picking up nickels in front of the steam roller. "Look at how slow it is. It's like free money!"

There are plenty of good MBAs out of work. Supply/demand dictates that salaries and bonuses will decrease.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I guess these for-profit companies are just not too bright. Here they have a very competitive, high-stakes, zero-sum game (options trading) which requires extensive specialized knowledge in order to out-predict the competition, and they could be getting the same talent whether they pay $100K or $1 million. I wonder why they never thought of that?
How'd that super-elite talent work out for them?
Old 03-25-2009, 12:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
You are too funny.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #8

Quote:
AIG created its own mess when they were picking up nickels in front of the steam roller. "Look at how slow it is. It's like free money!"

There are plenty of good MBAs out of work. Supply/demand dictates that salaries and bonuses will decrease.
Absolutely AIG made their own mess. My point is: With the Gov't stepping in to bail them (and banks and car companies and etc...) out, it is buying ownership/control in them. These businesses may not now be run with a strict eye towards business. Politicians will now feel they should have a say in how things are done. Can good business decisions be made with a political eye?
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
I assume you are talking about John Galt from Atlas Shrugged.

My question about the AIG employee is "Did he really 'create wealth' for anyone except himself and his employer?" It seems to me that trading commodities is 99.9% a zero-sum game. Traders provide a public service by providing liquidity, but they'd be willing to do that if they earned $100k per year. His big income does not prove that the rest of us should be terribly concerned if he quits.

(That doesn't mean I agree with after-the-fact punitive taxes. I'm simply questioning the analogy to the novel.)
"I started at this company in 1998 as an equity trader, became the head of equity and commodity trading and, a couple of years before A.I.G.’s meltdown last September,"

It was equity and commodity trading.

You need to do more research on commodity trading; your assumption is not correct.

Also, your assumption that "they'd be willing to do that if they earned $100k per year." does not reflect how labor compensation works in the USA.

The issue is not about his "big income".

I did spell Galt incorrectly in my post.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

This Galt guy must be a Superman. All of a sudden, the dude seems to be everywhere...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Absolutely AIG made their own mess. My point is: With the Gov't stepping in to bail them (and banks and car companies and etc...) out, it is buying ownership/control in them. These businesses may not now be run with a strict eye towards business. Politicians will now feel they should have a say in how things are done. Can good business decisions be made with a political eye?
Career politicians probably aren't the best people to make good business decisions. In fact, it sounds like a disaster.

Of course, the business people/MBAs in charge of those companies obviously weren't the best, either.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
You need to do more research on commodity trading; your assumption is not correct.
Unless the trader is hedging (i.e., is an oil producer or a farmer with oranges), it is indeed a zero-sum game. The IRS makes a distinction between hedgers and traders.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Unless the trader is hedging (i.e., is an oil producer or a farmer with oranges), it is indeed a zero-sum game. The IRS makes a distinction between hedgers and traders.
What is that distinction and what does it mean to the marketplace?
Old 03-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #14

Quote:
What is that distinction and what does it mean to the marketplace?
Hedging transactions are not subject to MTM accounting. Also, of course, a hedger can hold the future to expiration and make delivery. Traders have to exit the contract before expiry so that a tanker of oil doesn't show up in their driveway.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hedging transactions are not subject to MTM accounting. Also, of course, a hedger can hold the future to expiration and make delivery. Traders have to exit the contract before expiry so that a tanker of oil doesn't show up in their driveway.
I'm not meaning to be thick here.
What important insight does this info add to this thread?
Old 03-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is looked at with a political eye. Can good business decisions be made with a political eye?
No, and this will not end well, either.....

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #17

Quote:
I'm not meaning to be thick here.
What important insight does this info add to this thread?
You questioned Independent's assumption about commodities trading being a zero-sum game. I disputed your contradiction of his assumption.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, in the options-trading arm of AIG, it sounds like they did okay (if the guy's letter is to be believed).

If you mean AIG overall, it looks like it has worked out great. If the "game" had continued, they'd all be fabulously wealthy. The black swan came along and they lost the bet (which does not mean it was a bad bet). Yet still the government is riding in to cushion their fall. Crazy like a fox, they is.

The suckers are you and me and whoever pays taxes.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
It looks like it has worked out great. If the "game" had continued, they'd all be fabulously wealthy. The black swan came along and they lost the bet (which does not mean it was a bad bet). Yet still the government is riding in to cushion their fall. Crazy like a fox, they is.

The suckers are you and me and whoever pays taxes.
Don't all those guys pay taxes too?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You questioned Independent's assumption about commodities trading being a zero-sum game. I disputed your contradiction of his assumption.
I still don't get it.
Can you give more info and explanation?
txs