Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't read the whole thread but what keeps you from filling it out and giving not quite fully accurate information? In many decades from now, one of your decendents checking their geneology might get a bit confused thinking your answers were correct.

On the other hand, why not just fill it out and be done with it. If it's the same one I got, it's not a big deal. Nobody can take advantage of you for what's on that form. Theoretically, it's supposed to be confidential for something like 70 years.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I really don't want to fill it in with erroneous information for a couple of reasons. The philosphical reason is that -while I don't want to participate in the survey, I have no reason to want to mess it up, either. The practical reason is: if you don't provide answers, the fine is $100. If you provide inaccurate information, the fine is $500. I'll stick with the low cost alternative. (By the way, this is not the short form census that every has to fill in every ten years. I've already filled in two of those, because I live in one state and work in another. This is a long form census for randomly selected households that ask everything about you, your income/income sources, and your life in excruciating detail, down to and including what time you leave for work and how many minutes you commute each day)

Actually, it is not held confidential at all. According to both the Census Bureaus and my Congressman, your name and address are not released, but all other information is available to anyone. It is used by the Federal, State and local governments for demographic analyses for planning, resource allocation, etc. Don't particularly mind that, however it is also available to anyone requesting information (specific example quoted to me was WalMart, who use it to decide where to locate new stores). Not that interested in sharing extremely detailed information about myself that only my wife, FA and CPA know.
EllisWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt View Post
I really don't want to fill it in with erroneous information for a couple of reasons. The philosphical reason is that -while I don't want to participate in the survey, I have no reason to want to mess it up, either.
So how much are you willing to spend for "victory" in terms of time, money, and liberty?

As far as the government can tell, I filled out mine with perfect accuracy. Not that I've heard from anyone wanting to discuss my responses.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords - there's no "victory" involved - I just want them to leave me alone, but don't want all my private information available for all to see. Hadn't decided what I was willing to pay to not provide my personal information, but as it turns out, $100 seems more than reasonable to make them go away.
EllisWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote