Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2016, 10:46 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,428
So just this year we've lost members of the Eagles, Motorhead, Bowie, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Jefferson Airplane, and now the Supreme's. Rough year.
__________________

__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,644
RIP.

Even though I vehemently disagreed with most of his controversial decisions I found them fascinating - read the gun rights decision front to back. Despite his serious, contentious manner in his decisions he was a warm, outgoing person. Best buds with Ginsberg so he must have been charming.
__________________

__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2016, 08:53 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Sad to hear, and what a loss for our country. I will definitely miss his dissents most of all. He was so articulate, clear spoken and consistent in his interpretation of the constitution.
__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Citizen of Texas
Posts: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Sad to hear, and what a loss for our country.

clear spoken and consistent in his interpretation of the constitution.
+1
__________________
Car-Guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2016, 02:33 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Sad to hear, and what a loss for our country. I will definitely miss his dissents most of all. He was so articulate, clear spoken and consistent in his interpretation of the constitution.
Was that the case in the last few years!

Supposedly when he was in the minority in some big recent cases, he stood and ranted about the majority decision.

Anyways he was the avatar for originality, which is a laughable concept.
__________________
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,603
Scalia was a brilliant man, regardless of whether his opinions matched yours or mine. I'm glad that AFAIK he led a happy life and died easily.
__________________
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
So just this year we've lost members of the Eagles, Motorhead, Bowie, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Jefferson Airplane, and now the Supreme's. Rough year.
Natalie Cole also.

The reports are that Justice Scalia died of a heart attack.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2016, 08:40 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
zinger1457's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Still, some jurists retired. An example is Sandra O'Connor. I remember her because she is from my state. She retired in 2006, is still alive and 85 now.
As I recall the main reason she retired was to help care for her husband who had Alzheimer's. Since the average age of the justices is around 75 years old I'm surprised we don't hear of any of them being diagnosed with Alzheimer's or dementia since it apparently affects one in three seniors.
__________________
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2016, 11:02 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Was that the case in the last few years!
IMHO, yes. He never held back when he didn't agree with a decision and he would clearly state why.
__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2016, 11:08 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ExFlyBoy5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
IMHO, yes. He never held back when he didn't agree with a decision and he would clearly state why.
I enjoy reading his dissents...he was an incredibly smart man.

I am a bit interested as to why no autopsy, though. I am obviously NOT trained in anything remote to pathology, but I would think that when someone of that great importance dies, that an autopsy would be performed. I can see a special on History Channel in 20 years about the "great mysterious death of Justice Scalia."

I will also say that it's a bit disheartening to see his death being politicized SO QUICKLY after his death. He was a great man...can we not remember/celebrate that for a few days first? Oh well, I guess that doesn't sell "clickbait."
__________________
Founder and Head Lounger @ The Life of Leisure Institute
Retired in 2014 at the Ripe Age of 40.
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2016, 11:17 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I am a bit interested as to why no autopsy, though. I am obviously NOT trained in anything remote to pathology, but I would think that when someone of that great importance dies, that an autopsy would be performed. I can see a special on History Channel in 20 years about the "great mysterious death of Justice Scalia." (
He was 79, obese, a long time smoker, and reportedly was under the care of a physician for several "chronic conditions". His death may have been entirely predictable to his doctor. If he was a regular Joe Blow, there would be no controversy. Coroners have the right to evaluate the probabilities and make this decision. As a former healthcare provider, I was often frustrated when the Coroner did not order an autopsy, but there was nothing I could do about it if the family didn't want one.
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post

I will also say that it's a bit disheartening to see his death being politicized SO QUICKLY after his death. He was a great man...can we not remember/celebrate that for a few days first? Oh well, I guess that doesn't sell "clickbait."
Agree completely, nothing is sacred anymore in this country. As to the autopsy, thought I heard his family did not want that done.
__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2016, 11:27 AM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ExFlyBoy5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
He was 79, obese, a long time smoker, and reportedly was under the care of a physician for several "chronic conditions". His death may have been entirely predictable to his doctor. If he was a regular Joe Blow, there would be no controversy. Coroners have the right to evaluate the probabilities and make this decision. As a former healthcare provider, I was often frustrated when the Coroner did not order an autopsy, but there was nothing I could do about it if the family didn't want one.
I didn't realize he was a smoker, but yes even the obesity would be a great indicator of his health status. I also understand that if he was "some dude" there wouldn't be controversy. I am not even sure there is here...but I would guess that some media outlets will latch on to it just to get viewers. I suppose it brings back some of the memories of the Ron Brown plane crash...there is still controversy over that, even though we all know that running a jet into the side of a mountain at several hundred miles an hour will most likely kill you.
__________________
Founder and Head Lounger @ The Life of Leisure Institute
Retired in 2014 at the Ripe Age of 40.
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I didn't realize he was a smoker, but yes even the obesity would be a great indicator of his health status. I also understand that if he was "some dude" there wouldn't be controversy. I am not even sure there is here...but I would guess that some media outlets will latch on to it just to get viewers. I suppose it brings back some of the memories of the Ron Brown plane crash...there is still controversy over that, even though we all know that running a jet into the side of a mountain at several hundred miles an hour will most likely kill you.
And here I didn't even know there was any controversy. I mean, I assumed there would be arguments and political battles about his successor (who nominates one, can they pass, etc), but other than that I haven't seen anything other that a few "I didn't always agree with him but he was a good justice" articles. Y'all are watching the wrong shows (or reading the wrong blogs). If you just immerse yourselves in class television like The Walking Dead, Dr. Who, or (thanks Sarah) Kung Fury you won't have to get all upset about the opinions of know-nothing-but-sell-everything talking heads and news readers. Just a suggestion. Ignorance of current culture truly is bliss.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ExFlyBoy5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
And here I didn't even know there was any controversy. I mean, I assumed there would be arguments and political battles about his successor (who nominates one, can they pass, etc), but other than that I haven't seen anything other that a few "I didn't always agree with him but he was a good justice" articles. Y'all are watching the wrong shows (or reading the wrong blogs). If you just immerse yourselves in class television like The Walking Dead, Dr. Who, or (thanks Sarah) Kung Fury you won't have to get all upset about the opinions of know-nothing-but-sell-everything talking heads and news readers. Just a suggestion. Ignorance of current culture truly is bliss.
Hey...I'm not buying into the conspiracy theory at all, but it's now one of the top 'news' stories on CNN. That's pretty sad IMHO.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
__________________
Founder and Head Lounger @ The Life of Leisure Institute
Retired in 2014 at the Ripe Age of 40.
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #36
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I am a bit interested as to why no autopsy, though. I am obviously NOT trained in anything remote to pathology, but I would think that when someone of that great importance dies, that an autopsy would be performed.
I was a bit surprised to see that as well but as Meadbh notes it is up to the coroner or medical examiner or whatever the title is there. Where I worked it was rare for them to order an autopsy if the attending physician was willing to sign the death certificate and then only if there was clear possibility of the death being from other than natural causes.

You are correct though that the decision will give conspiracy theorists something to debate for a long time.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2016, 03:52 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
RIP.

Even though I vehemently disagreed with most of his controversial decisions I found them fascinating - read the gun rights decision front to back. Despite his serious, contentious manner in his decisions he was a warm, outgoing person. Best buds with Ginsberg so he must have been charming.
And, apparently, he had a hand in recommending that President Obama nominate Justice Kagan.
I will miss Justice Scalia a lot. I hope they are still producing jurists like him somewhere--regardless of their "politics" (or "philosophy").
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
I'm impressed that there are many here who have read and analyzed Justice Scalia's legal opinions.

What do YOU do all day? ;-)
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 09:46 AM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Hey...I'm not buying into the conspiracy theory at all, but it's now one of the top 'news' stories on CNN. That's pretty sad IMHO.
And that's why news networks are verboten in our household.

I'm with Harley. I'm too freaked out watching The Fall right now anyway to pay attention to "news"!
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 10:48 AM   #40
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm with Harley. I'm too freaked out watching The Fall right now anyway to pay attention to "news"!
What a good show, eh?
__________________

__________________
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saudi Justice , Execute the Witch poboy Other topics 0 02-15-2008 08:23 AM
Texas Justice..... Texas Proud Other topics 14 02-11-2008 02:48 PM
CD's at Pentagon and Justice Gearhead Jim FIRE and Money 17 03-29-2007 08:34 AM
Justice Scalia on C-Span mickeyd Other topics 32 02-23-2006 11:52 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:42 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.