Katrina 5 Years Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckeye

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just watched Brian Williams Katrina special. We can deliver aid to foreign nations immediately but our own citizens can't get food or water for days. I had begun to forget how bad it was and it was bad.

I did not watch the show.

I live in the hurricane affected Gulf Coast. Our citizens fend for themselves and help others in most cases. They do not rely on the government except perhaps those that rely on the government in good times anyways. Also, because of States rights relief efforts in many cases are complicated. Citizens need to make sure their elected Governor is up to the task.

Pakistanis do not believe the US is getting aid to the flood victims there, so the US does not deliver aid immediately to foreign nations. For example, BBC News - Pakistani flood victims' anger at US

I will never forget Katrina. The images of destruction. Survivors in the Astrodome. It's just overwhelming. I know many, many people have yet to put their lives back together.:'(

I get more angry than sad when thinking about Katrina. I can still drive around the cities where I live and see blocks and blocks of empty lots with little more than foundations on them. When I go inland a little farther, I can see abandoned houses that because of the delay in insurance reimbursement and FEMA's updated flood maps sat empty and wet for many months. The end result is a structure that might have been able to have been saved is now good for scrap. I hear residents of New Orleans whine that their houses were flooded. Most of the ones in my area got washed away. I didn't live here when Katrina hit, but I had vacationed here, so I can see the difference.

I get angry at the people who demand the federal government step in and do something, when in reality it is the local people/agencies/community that needs to step up and provide assistance.

I will never forget Katrina. The images of destruction. Survivors in the Astrodome. It's just overwhelming. I know many, many people have yet to put their lives back together.:'(

And my question would be why:confused: Not sure, but I still think there are people getting free housing (had a debate about this with someone this morning... he thinks so)... there should be a limit to how long you can get free stuff from the gvmt... just me...

My original post was regarding the first few days and weeks.

My original post was regarding the first few days and weeks.

I saw a comment by some talking head this weekend... they were not that sympathetic to the plight of some... their comment was based on the TV showing some lady pleading for someone to come and get her... and he said that there was three days of warnings of how bad it was going to be... and that if you wanted to stay there... you need to plan ahead and fend for yourself...

Yes, it was very bad... worse than most thought IMO...

I also wonder how quickly we actually deliver the foreign aid to others... the pictures seem to say they are in trouble even days later...

I can still remember playing golf the week following Katrina. Every single person in the foursome commented they were ashamed how the US government mismanaged the whole fiasco. It was nothing short of shameful.

I can still remember playing golf the week following Katrina. Every single person in the foursome commented they were ashamed how the US government mismanaged the whole fiasco. It was nothing short of shameful.

Any discussion of how the local & State governments mis-managed the whole fiasco?

-ERD50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom