Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
So do rich, or even many upper middle class Americans.

And while we are congratulating ourselves on literacy, we should likely admit that it is not very good, especially considering how much we spend on public education- highest in the world per student. There is almost no aspect of public services in which the US gets performance for all the money it throws at the problems.
are you thinking that our kids would be better educated if we got rid of public schools? i think not, i think a far fewer children would go to school if families were required to pay tuition for private schools.

so are you suggesting that we dont have any public services? that would really cut the government spending and then no tax increase would be needed. in fact tax cuts would be in order, atleast till some other country overruns us, since we will have no defense.
__________________

__________________
jdw_fire is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #282
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
I'd say the correct word is "deferred". We currently allow step up in basis at death (one of those things that makes zero sense to me and should be changed), other than that, cap gains eventually get paid.
well you can use a charitable remainder trust to get around ever paying the cap gains.
__________________

__________________
jdw_fire is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #283
Recycles dryer sheets
Retch The Grate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain View
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post


You might want to bone up on your facts there, Retch.
Pretended to be about lowering government expenditures and fiscal responsibility but instead oversaw incredible increases in federal expenditure and debt? Yeah, thanks I know what they did. They violated the core promise of the Republican party and put us into this debilitating debt situation that has ballooned to the point where we can't escape. The impressive thing about Bush the younger is that he did that after Clinton had things looking like we were actually going to pay off our national debt in a decade or two.
__________________
Retch The Grate is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #284
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,068
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #285
gone traveling
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
One 'o yer Texas neighbors, REW ?
__________________
Westernskies is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #286
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I concur. Taxes on Roth IRA's will creep in like a slow moving cancer and, as you say, will not be applied directly to withdrawals but will involve withdrawals counting as income for determining Medicare premiums, eligibility for deductions, etc. I dread this.
I agree with this, but there is a good chance that I may have no need for withdrawals from my Roth- but it will still be there compounding tax free, and If I do need it it will be because my other sources are down and hence I have at least a shot at staying below the level of confiscation.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #287
gone traveling
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I agree with this, but there is a good chance that I may have no need for withdrawals from my Roth- but it will still be there compounding tax free, and If I do need it it will be because my other sources are down and hence I have at least a shot at staying below the level of confiscation.

Ha
Sounds good, ha, but unless you're living in a cardboard box (well, maybe one of those big fancy refrigerator boxes ) mandated means testing will catch you in the confiscation net.
__________________
Westernskies is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #288
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Missionfinder, you seem not to grasp the concept of spending OPM "Other Peoples Money"; the mission statement of the HTFC " higher tax fan club".

It's easy to be sanctimonius when it's not your money....
Yeah, Milton Friedman (great book, BTW):



missionfinder is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #289
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retch The Grate View Post
... had things looking like we were actually going to pay off our national debt in a decade or two.
Yep, if only that bubble could have kept going for another decade or two! Hard to imagine that, and imagine the pop when that sucker burst! I'd expect the real fire and brimstone stuff, biblical proportions, cats and dogs sleeping together...

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline  
Old 03-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #290
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retch The Grate View Post
The impressive thing about Bush the younger is that he did that after Clinton had things looking like we were actually going to pay off our national debt in a decade or two.
I remember the Clinton plan, paying off the debt was based upon the stock market returning 12% a year or some astronomical number like that...looks like Clinton was a little off.........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline  
Old 03-01-2011, 01:58 AM   #291
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire View Post
are you thinking that our kids would be better educated if we got rid of public schools? i think not, i think a far fewer children would go to school if families were required to pay tuition for private schools.
Are you suggesting that private schools be banned by a "big brother" style government thats out to control our every thought?
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline  
Old 03-01-2011, 02:01 AM   #292
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Are you suggesting that private schools be banned by a "big brother" style government thats out to control our every thought?
nope, where did u get that? i didnt even come close to saying that. talk about someone twisting my words, wow.
__________________
jdw_fire is offline  
Old 03-01-2011, 02:08 AM   #293
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire View Post
nope, where did u get that? i didnt even come close to saying that. talk about someone twisting my words, wow.
Just a little turn around! (Ref your post #281) where what you did was "wow-wow-wow."
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline  
Old 03-01-2011, 02:38 AM   #294
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Just a little turn around! (Ref your post #281) where what you did was "wow-wow-wow."
what are you talking about? did you even read what ha wrote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
And while we are congratulating ourselves on literacy, we should likely admit that it is not very good, especially considering how much we spend on public education- highest in the world per student. There is almost no aspect of public services in which the US gets performance for all the money it throws at the problems.
it sure looked to me like he was slamming public schools, as well as anything funded by the government. as such i think my questions to him were appropriate.

if you or ha (or anyone) have a suggestion for improving the performance we get from public services by all means speak up, but not paying for them or running up the national debt cus you dont wanna collect the taxes necessary to pay for them isnt the solution.
__________________
jdw_fire is offline  
Old 03-01-2011, 02:47 AM   #295
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire View Post
what are you talking about?
I was simply asking you whether you wanted private schools to be banned because they aren't funded by tax dollars and therefore are somewhat less subject to strict government control of academic content, religious content, political views, etc. I was asking because of the postition you were taking.

Remember, if we slam the doors on private schools, taxes collected for education don't increase. The folks with children at the private schools are already paying for the public schools as well. When the troops are sent in to nail the doors shut on private schools, the local public schools will have to accomodate the influx of students with no additional revenue. That won't be a good thing.
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline  
Old 03-01-2011, 02:53 AM   #296
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I was simply asking you whether you wanted private schools to be banned because they aren't funded by tax dollars and therefore are somewhat less subject to strict government control of academic content, religious content, political views, etc. I was asking because of the postition you were taking.
what "position" am i taking? the position that i dont want big deficits? that i want us to pay for the government we want (or have chosen to have)? how do you jump to thinking i dont want private schools from that? just cus i dont want public schools to go away? that is a pretty big (falacious) assumption! i never said anything about closing private schools!
__________________
jdw_fire is offline  
Old 03-01-2011, 02:58 AM   #297
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire View Post
what "position" am i taking? the position that i dont want big deficits? that i want us to pay for the government we want (or have chosen to have)? how do you jump to thinking i dont want private schools from that? just cus i dont want public schools to go away? that is a pretty big (falacious) assumption! i never said anything about closing private schools!
So, do you want private schools banned or not? Personally, even though I had to gut it out in the Chicago Public School system from K to 12, I think it would be a mistake to get rid of private schools. We just need to keep working on improving the public schools to where their performance is commensurate with their current cost.
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline  
Old 03-01-2011, 03:02 AM   #298
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
So, do you want private schools banned or not?
NO! i do not want private schools banned, those are your words not mine! like i said i never said anything about banning private schools. where did you come up with that?
__________________
jdw_fire is offline  
Old 03-01-2011, 03:04 AM   #299
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire View Post
NO! i do not want private schools banned
Good decision. We agree then.
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline  
Old 03-01-2011, 03:15 AM   #300
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Good decision. We agree then.
how bout you answering my question
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire View Post
NO! i do not want private schools banned, those are your words not mine! like i said i never said anything about banning private schools. where did you come up with that?
what you did in these last few post is what is disappointing about some of the people on this board. you appear to jump to conclusions about someone elses thoughts without any good reason. if you were to do that out in the "real" world it would be slander. and yet you dont seem to feel at all bad about totally misrepresenting my views.
__________________

__________________
jdw_fire is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rich Falling Behind Super-Rich? Andy R Other topics 1 09-15-2009 09:46 PM
Tax on rich will bring in 63.67B per year dex FIRE and Money 193 03-04-2009 09:19 AM
How rich are you? teejayevans FIRE and Money 0 04-04-2007 11:25 AM
BECOME RICH AND STAY RICH idevision Young Dreamers 12 07-27-2005 04:41 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:54 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.