Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
So do rich, or even many upper middle class Americans.

And while we are congratulating ourselves on literacy, we should likely admit that it is not very good, especially considering how much we spend on public education- highest in the world per student. There is almost no aspect of public services in which the US gets performance for all the money it throws at the problems.
are you thinking that our kids would be better educated if we got rid of public schools? i think not, i think a far fewer children would go to school if families were required to pay tuition for private schools.

so are you suggesting that we dont have any public services? that would really cut the government spending and then no tax increase would be needed. in fact tax cuts would be in order, atleast till some other country overruns us, since we will have no defense.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
I'd say the correct word is "deferred". We currently allow step up in basis at death (one of those things that makes zero sense to me and should be changed), other than that, cap gains eventually get paid.
well you can use a charitable remainder trust to get around ever paying the cap gains.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #283
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post

You might want to bone up on your facts there, Retch.
Pretended to be about lowering government expenditures and fiscal responsibility but instead oversaw incredible increases in federal expenditure and debt? Yeah, thanks I know what they did. They violated the core promise of the Republican party and put us into this debilitating debt situation that has ballooned to the point where we can't escape. The impressive thing about Bush the younger is that he did that after Clinton had things looking like we were actually going to pay off our national debt in a decade or two.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #284
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Old 02-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #285
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
One 'o yer Texas neighbors, REW ?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #286
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I concur. Taxes on Roth IRA's will creep in like a slow moving cancer and, as you say, will not be applied directly to withdrawals but will involve withdrawals counting as income for determining Medicare premiums, eligibility for deductions, etc. I dread this.
I agree with this, but there is a good chance that I may have no need for withdrawals from my Roth- but it will still be there compounding tax free, and If I do need it it will be because my other sources are down and hence I have at least a shot at staying below the level of confiscation.

Ha
Old 02-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #287
gone traveling

Quote:
I agree with this, but there is a good chance that I may have no need for withdrawals from my Roth- but it will still be there compounding tax free, and If I do need it it will be because my other sources are down and hence I have at least a shot at staying below the level of confiscation.

Ha
Sounds good, ha, but unless you're living in a cardboard box (well, maybe one of those big fancy refrigerator boxes ) mandated means testing will catch you in the confiscation net.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #288
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Missionfinder, you seem not to grasp the concept of spending OPM "Other Peoples Money"; the mission statement of the HTFC " higher tax fan club".

It's easy to be sanctimonius when it's not your money....
Yeah, Milton Friedman (great book, BTW):

Old 02-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #289
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retch The Grate View Post
... had things looking like we were actually going to pay off our national debt in a decade or two.
Yep, if only that bubble could have kept going for another decade or two! Hard to imagine that, and imagine the pop when that sucker burst! I'd expect the real fire and brimstone stuff, biblical proportions, cats and dogs sleeping together...

-ERD50
Old 02-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #290
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retch The Grate View Post
The impressive thing about Bush the younger is that he did that after Clinton had things looking like we were actually going to pay off our national debt in a decade or two.
I remember the Clinton plan, paying off the debt was based upon the stock market returning 12% a year or some astronomical number like that...looks like Clinton was a little off.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 03-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #291
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire View Post
are you thinking that our kids would be better educated if we got rid of public schools? i think not, i think a far fewer children would go to school if families were required to pay tuition for private schools.
Are you suggesting that private schools be banned by a "big brother" style government thats out to control our every thought?
Old 03-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #292

Quote:
Are you suggesting that private schools be banned by a "big brother" style government thats out to control our every thought?
nope, where did u get that? i didnt even come close to saying that. talk about someone twisting my words, wow.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:08 AM   #293
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
nope, where did u get that? i didnt even come close to saying that. talk about someone twisting my words, wow.
Just a little turn around! (Ref your post #281) where what you did was "wow-wow-wow."
Old 03-01-2011, 01:38 AM   #294

Quote:
Just a little turn around! (Ref your post #281) where what you did was "wow-wow-wow."
what are you talking about? did you even read what ha wrote?

Quote:
And while we are congratulating ourselves on literacy, we should likely admit that it is not very good, especially considering how much we spend on public education- highest in the world per student. There is almost no aspect of public services in which the US gets performance for all the money it throws at the problems.
it sure looked to me like he was slamming public schools, as well as anything funded by the government. as such i think my questions to him were appropriate.

if you or ha (or anyone) have a suggestion for improving the performance we get from public services by all means speak up, but not paying for them or running up the national debt cus you dont wanna collect the taxes necessary to pay for them isnt the solution.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #295
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
what are you talking about?
I was simply asking you whether you wanted private schools to be banned because they aren't funded by tax dollars and therefore are somewhat less subject to strict government control of academic content, religious content, political views, etc. I was asking because of the postition you were taking.

Remember, if we slam the doors on private schools, taxes collected for education don't increase. The folks with children at the private schools are already paying for the public schools as well. When the troops are sent in to nail the doors shut on private schools, the local public schools will have to accomodate the influx of students with no additional revenue. That won't be a good thing.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:53 AM   #296

Quote:
I was simply asking you whether you wanted private schools to be banned because they aren't funded by tax dollars and therefore are somewhat less subject to strict government control of academic content, religious content, political views, etc. I was asking because of the postition you were taking.
what "position" am i taking? the position that i dont want big deficits? that i want us to pay for the government we want (or have chosen to have)? how do you jump to thinking i dont want private schools from that? just cus i dont want public schools to go away? that is a pretty big (falacious) assumption! i never said anything about closing private schools!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:58 AM   #297
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
what "position" am i taking? the position that i dont want big deficits? that i want us to pay for the government we want (or have chosen to have)? how do you jump to thinking i dont want private schools from that? just cus i dont want public schools to go away? that is a pretty big (falacious) assumption! i never said anything about closing private schools!
So, do you want private schools banned or not? Personally, even though I had to gut it out in the Chicago Public School system from K to 12, I think it would be a mistake to get rid of private schools. We just need to keep working on improving the public schools to where their performance is commensurate with their current cost.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:02 AM   #298

Quote:
So, do you want private schools banned or not?
NO! i do not want private schools banned, those are your words not mine! like i said i never said anything about banning private schools. where did you come up with that?
Old 03-01-2011, 02:04 AM   #299
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
NO! i do not want private schools banned
Good decision. We agree then.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:15 AM   #300

Quote:
Good decision. We agree then.
how bout you answering my question
Quote:
NO! i do not want private schools banned, those are your words not mine! like i said i never said anything about banning private schools. where did you come up with that?
what you did in these last few post is what is disappointing about some of the people on this board. you appear to jump to conclusions about someone elses thoughts without any good reason. if you were to do that out in the "real" world it would be slander. and yet you dont seem to feel at all bad about totally misrepresenting my views.
Closed Thread