Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Making a living using Tax Payers- Survey
Old 11-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Making a living using Tax Payers- Survey

Hello,

Just how many of you here earned some sort of income via "tax payers money". I live near the DC area and it seems like up to 80% of the people here are depending in some finance support by tax payers. No wonder the country is suffering. There is NOT enough people just making living in the private sectors.

Here are some of the folks that "Making a living using Tax Payers". Don't mean to offend anyone. My apology if I rub you the wrong way.

Teachers
Professors
School staffs
Army forces
Police
Firemen
County employees
State employees
Federal employees
Government contractors
VA staffs doctor, nurses..
politician
The list goes on and on...

enuff

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #2

If you don't mean to offend, maybe a term other than "using taxpayers" would be a better choice?

This thread is a variation on an old (and legitimate) issue -- the declining fortunes of private sector Middle America compared to public sector Middle America. I know I feel like I've been getting screwed. But dividing and conquering us by separating us into "public" and "private" camps and encouraging us to fight against each other doesn't help us, and it only encourages the corporate, economic and political elites who benefit when we fight with each other instead of coming together to see what they are doing to us.

We in the middle class are being given a smaller slice of the pie than ever in the last few decades, but instead of asking why our slice is so much smaller now, we fight with each other over who gets how much of this smaller piece. That makes little sense, IMO. Shouldn't we both be asking why we get so much less pie now? When we "us versus them" each other in the middle class, treating each other as the enemy, we are playing right into the hands of the elites.

Let's not make this a "government worker bashfest," though -- thanks!

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 11-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat
Hello,

Just how many of you here earned some sort of income via "tax payers money". I live near the DC area and it seems like up to 80% of the people here are depending in some finance support by tax payers. No wonder the country is suffering. There is NOT enough people just making living in the private sectors.

Here are some of the folks that "Making a living using Tax Payers". Don't mean to offend anyone. My apology if I rub you the wrong way.

Teachers
Professors
School staffs
Army forces
Police
Firemen
County employees
State employees
Federal employees
Government contractors
politician

enuff
Maybe this article will make you feel a little better, as apparently there are not as many workers on the tax payer dole as there used to be.

http://www.politifact.com/new-jersey...00000-public-/
Old 11-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Hmm... for the past few months, the private economy has been generating about 125,000 new jobs each month. Not as many as needed but certainly better than zero. However, public sector jobs have been decreasing at the rate of about 30,000 per month. This has wiped out about 25% of the gain from the private sector.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

With the exception of the military, many / most of those jobs are unionized. Unions tend to contribute more to one party than the other. We are nearing an election. Get the drift?
Old 11-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I make a living from my work, effort and knowlege. The taxpayers (who include me!!) pay me for that. Each day I earn my pay, so the dollars are no longer the taxpayer's but mine. If they want to keep their dollars they can fire me. And that has been happening!! Though not to me yet.

In my home state the governor and legislature do not want to raise taxes so they have cut the budge at least twice and will do it again this month. As a result, many public employees have been laid off, or not rehired, or are working shorter hours. Many public services have been cut way back. What protects me? I am certified to teach math and chemistry and computer tech skills. And I am going to retire at the end of this year so why bother firing me?
Old 11-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tax payers also include:
Teachers
Professors
School staffs
Army forces
Police
Firemen
County employees
State employees
Federal employees
Government contractors
politician

It's not like one group pays taxes and the other does not...we all pay taxes.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I think it is the use of taxpayer dollars, not the fact that some people are paid from them, that is the real issue. Unfortunately, most of these public servants have little say over that. The boss says drive to 24th and Elm and fill the pothole and we do that, even if the street is to be dug up the next day.

Imagine this: Our soldiers in Afghanstan have to drive the Taliban out of an area. They do their best, but the Taliban is still there. Do we say "Those lazy soldiers! Eating up taxpayer dollars when they cannot do their jobs! What is wrong with those guys? Let's cut their budget so they have fewer bullets, less rations, and more holes in their boots. That will teach them!"

No. We blame their commanding officers, the generals and leaders in the Pentagon. We blame the people who are supposed to know what to do with the efforts of our brave soldiers. This included Generals and the Sec. of Defense and all the politicians who approve things like wars, budgets, defense outlays, etc.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Let's not make this a "government worker bashfest," though -- thanks!
Good luck with that.

OP couldn't even be bothered to add a survey like he claimed in his title.

Maybe this thread should just be moved to the political forum now so that I can get on with ignoring it...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
But dividing and conquering us by separating us into "public" and "private" camps and encouraging us to fight against each other doesn't help us
Quote:
We in the middle class are being given a smaller slice of the pie than ever in the last few decades, but instead of asking why our slice is so much smaller now...
So you are ok with divide and conquer "rich" vs "others" but not gubmint teat vs private sector.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by engprodigy View Post
So you are ok with divide and conquer "rich" vs "others" but not gubmint teat vs private sector.

Someone's headed this way...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pigmobile.jpg (48.0 KB, 3 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #12

This thread was doomed from the start.

Closed Thread