Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There's probably a class of people out there that, if it were available recreationally, might try it to address minor health issues, probably ingesting the kind with the lower psychoactive effects. There seems to be a lot of anectodal experience that it helps with a wide variety of conditions. This route would be for people that didn't want to go through the medical channels; finding a doctor that will prescribe it is a battle some folks might not be willing to fight just to give it a shot to see if it's effective.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
finding a doctor that will prescribe it is a battle some folks might not be willing to fight just to give it a shot to see if it's effective.
Finding a doctor to prescribe MJ is easy in places where it is available by prescription. For almost any cause, including asthma. Often, a building next door to the MJ 'pharmacy' will house a doctor that gives prescriptions.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 11-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I think MJ is past the tipping point. I can't imagine that the federal government will ever crack down, they realize states need the revenue - if anything, look for the feds to figure out their own cut of the taxation.

Isn't it weird that our society is on the verge of simultaneously outlawing tobacco and legalizing marijuana?
Old 11-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #24

Marijuana in Retirement

Should legalize and tax it, IMO. Govt is not effectively stopping it legally

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 11-26-2014, 12:48 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
I think MJ is past the tipping point. I can't imagine that the federal government will ever crack down, they realize states need the revenue - if anything, look for the feds to figure out their own cut of the taxation.

Isn't it weird that our society is on the verge of simultaneously outlawing tobacco and legalizing marijuana?
The Gov really makes out on the tax on tobacco, and it's unlikely it will ever be outlawed. MJ may be the next candidate for federal taxing (a few years out, though).
Old 11-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thank you for all of the interesting and thoughtful responses.

There appear to be a lot of variables involved with marijuana. Potency, and differences in strains - some of which reportedly promote relaxation, others which are more energizing.

I know people who do brilliant software engineering while under the influence of potent marijuana. Which amazes me - back in "the day", for me personally, pot and any kind of analytical work was definitely a disastrous combination.

No, I was more the type to get stoned occasionally and become kind of shy and stupid - but highly appreciative of music, art, and nature!

I may need to research the Washington State driving-under-the-influence-of-pot rules more carefully. I do remember that medical marijuana users were [U]opposed[I] to the initiative legalizing recreational use. Their objection was based on allegedly over-strict and non-evidence based new DUI rules. (I don't know if those rules, now in effect, are being enforced as written.)

I have encountered some reports that marijuana can have a protective effect with regard to Alzheimer's, though some would find that highly counter intuitive. But, opining re: the health impact of pot overall, is way out of my scope of expertise. Certainly taking smoke into one's lungs can't be good.

Once again, thanks to all for taking the time a reply. You give me plenty to ponder, and re-ponder...........
Old 11-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

No, I was more the type to get stoned occasionally and become kind of shy and stupid - but highly appreciative of music, art, and nature!

Sounds like me back in the day
Old 11-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #28

If (or perhaps I should say when) my state (CA) fully legalizes it, such that I can walk into a dispensary or store and buy an edible or a few joints without having to sign anything, then I can see myself enjoying it very occasionally. Call me paranoid, but I don't want my name to be on any list of known MJ users, even if it is just very occasional use.

I don't really like altering my consciousness significantly for long though, so can't see it being anything other than a once in a while thing. I suspect that I'll do it for fun a few times after it has been legalized for recreational use in CA, and then most likely never touch it again. Heck, anything over a half-glass of wine alters my consciousness more than I'd like it to!
Old 11-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrallight View Post
Certainly taking smoke into one's lungs can't be good.
No need to smoke.

Eat it baked, get baked
Old 11-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
...Call me paranoid, but I don't want my name to be on any list of known MJ users, even if it is just very occasional use.

I don't really like altering my consciousness significantly for long though, so can't see it being anything other than a once in a while thing. ...
1. Pay cash too. (Don't use your debit card.)
2. The high, even at today's higher potency, supposedly lasts one to two hours at most--a lot shorter than alcohol intoxication. Additional "hits" equal a longer effect, obviously. (Dunno why a cop, even a DRE one, would suspect you're under the influence the next day should you get into a fender-bender for any reason. An accident with serious injuries may result in a blood test and that may result in a different story altogether. How often does that happen in your life?)
3. Here in Washington state the salesmen are usually pretty good at explaining the different strains and their effects. "Altering consciousness significantly"? Unless it is a strain that affects (relaxes) the body more than the mind, at most you just over-think stuff, not hallucinate or "get weird." (You may get paranoid, however. Neil Young then suggests you eat a few black peppercorns--per an interview on the Howard Stern Show.)

From what I hear.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
2. The high, even at today's higher potency, supposedly lasts one to two hours at most--a lot shorter than alcohol intoxication. Additional "hits" equal a longer effect, obviously.
True, but I was thinking about the length of the state of altered consciousness from edibles, which would be my preferred method of ingestion. I am a big lightweight too. I still remember a visit to Amsterdam about 10 years ago. Half of a space cake put me out of commission most of the night and made me feel uncomfortably "out of it" much of the next day too. Thankfully, my SO wasn't affected, and was able to drive us back to Paris.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Is sitting around smoking pot, eating and watching TV a complete waste of time? When you are 18 you think you have a lot of time. When you are 60 you ain't got that much time left.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #33

Never smoked pot, but have smoked cigarettes for a short period. I've also tried hookah pipes, and enjoyed them. Hookahs are known to be almost as dangerous, if not as dangerous, as cigarette smoking. Is the same not true for a marijuana vaporizer? They work on similar principles albeit through different means...
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All I have to say is please pass the potato chips...for the 10th time...
Old 11-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
If (or perhaps I should say when) my state (CA) fully legalizes it, such that I can walk into a dispensary or store and buy an edible or a few joints without having to sign anything, then I can see myself enjoying it very occasionally. Call me paranoid, but I don't want my name to be on any list of known MJ users, even if it is just very occasional use.

I don't really like altering my consciousness significantly for long though, so can't see it being anything other than a once in a while thing. I suspect that I'll do it for fun a few times after it has been legalized for recreational use in CA, and then most likely never touch it again. Heck, anything over a half-glass of wine alters my consciousness more than I'd like it to!
Yeah, they will put you on a list and throw up road blocks all over the state looking for you.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

In my retirement, I am in the "if it feels good do it" camp. I did in it my 20's, stopped until retirement in my 50's. What's not to like?

I think the idea that something could be listed as a Schedule 1 drug and legal some states is crazy. Sometimes states rights issues seem silly to me.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beststash View Post
In my retirement, I am in the "if it feels good do it" camp. I did in it my 20's, stopped until retirement in my 50's. What's not to like?

I think the idea that something could be listed as a Schedule 1 drug and legal some states is crazy. Sometimes states rights issues seem silly to me.
+1.......Gee, I would never guess you might enjoy, BestSTASH!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beststash View Post
In my retirement, I am in the "if it feels good do it" camp.
I've never done it but would readily try it .. IF it were truly legal. But will be damned if I'm gonna risk a run-in with the criminal justice system just for a "Test Buzz" .

The old line about "you can get drugs anywhere in America" is lost on me. I do not know where I would go to just "get" some MJ or a joint or two.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #39

One of the benefits of edibles in places where it has been legalized like Colorado is that the THC content is listed on the packaging so you know what you're getting. I did read a report where lab test showed a lot of inaccuracies in the amount of THC listed on edibles but that should improve over time. I could see it becoming similar to taking a drink where you know what the alcohol content is and have a pretty good idea what the effects will be and be able to control it. And like alcohol no doubt many will abuse it.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Yeah, they will put you on a list and throw up road blocks all over the state looking for you.
I know, I know - it's irrational of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
The old line about "you can get drugs anywhere in America" is lost on me. I do not know where I would go to just "get" some MJ or a joint or two.
If you're ever in the Bay Area, you can try the park next to my house when school gets off in the afternoon (or the area on the east end of the Golden Gate Park, known as "hippy hill", at around 4:20 every afternoon).