Marijuana in Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious if anyone knows about the differences in health consequences of ingested vs smoked? I can see smoking causing lots of damage--our lungs weren't made to breath smoke and particles. The O2 deprivation and presence of CO are also issues.

But ingested? I think you would just get the effects (good and/or bad) of the THC and anything else in the plant.

Anyone know the differences or can you point me to a good reference?

Well, since until this year it's been pretty much impossible to do any science regarding pot, there's not a lot out there. But here's an article that covers the health benefits of eating pot - Cannabis is Key to Good Health When We Eat it vs. Smoke it | Collective-Evolution.

Obviously smoking causes you to get a lot of carcinogins that you wouldn't get from eating it. Vaping removes that issue, although personally I prefer to smoke it. If you're an every day smoker it's bad for your health, basically the same as being a cigarette smoker, although rolling a joint bypasses all the additives the tobacco companies load into a cigarette. But nobody smokes as much pot as cigarette smokers do tobacco. If you did you'd be something like Blueskies123 imagines all pot smokers are.

If you are like me, and smoke a couple of hits a couple of times/week (the mythical casual toker), I don't think the smoking does anything significant. Especially in retirement. I'm sure I used to get far more lung damage from pollution in my daily commute than I do catching an occasional small buzz now.

Why do any of you want to sit around smoking pot? Ok, if you want to do this once a month and balance it with helping in a VA clinic and working with homeless that is fine but I cannot help but read into these message that you all want to vegetate in front of the TV. Do you all not see the horror?:nonono:
Well hello there Blueskies123, and welcome to the forum. Please feel free to introduce yourself to us in the "Hi, am" thread. Let us know a bit about yourself, whether you're ER'ed yet, or planning to, things like that. A brief "Hello" and an introduction is always nice in any group before you start telling us what you think of us all, don't you think? :LOL:

Well hello there Blueskies123, and welcome to the forum. Please feel free to introduce yourself to us in the "Hi, am" thread. Let us know a bit about yourself, whether you're ER'ed yet, or planning to, things like that. A brief "Hello" and an introduction is always nice in any group before you start telling us what you think of us all, don't you think? :LOL:

+1.......Thanks, Major. I was about to say this new guy is a little rude for a newbie.:cool:

Why do any of you want to sit around smoking pot? Ok, if you want to do this once a month and balance it with helping in a VA clinic and working with homeless that is fine but I cannot help but read into these message that you all want to vegetate in front of the TV. Do you all not see the horror?:nonono:

You sound like you need a little mellowing out :LOL:

You mean like these ladies?

So awesome.
We have a fair number of friends that smoke, though some use vaporizers. I'm kinda ho-hum about it, not a big deal in our circle, nobody really considers it more or less than drinking beer or wine.

I generally don't partake, because it makes me more introverted, which is not the desired effect. Edibles, if you know how strong they are, are probably a better choice. I had a great time with the rice krispy cake purchased at a music festival, and a disastrous time once with a friend's homemade brownie. :hide::blink:

"Introverted?" Hmmmm...that must be some pretty strong $h!t. :LOL:

BTW, great video. I bet the brunette grandma on the left was a firecracker 30 yrs ago. Heck, she probably still is!

I am so suggestible that someone could hand me a regular brownie, tell me it's full of cannabis, and I would be in redeye heaven for a few hours.

I think I only partook in social situations, and doubt we could get the band back together again, so probably wouldn't use it very much. I think Firesign Theatre is just as great without the enhancement, anyway. Not sure about some of the music, though.

I am so suggestible that someone could hand me a regular brownie, tell me it's full of cannabis, and I would be in redeye heaven for a few hours.

I think I only partook in social situations, and doubt we could get the band back together again, so probably wouldn't use it very much. I think Firesign Theatre is just as great without the enhancement, anyway. Not sure about some of the music, though.
Well, you could always revisit an album side or two at a time.
img_1523245_0_36bf32faf1ab6882834b8ca30350af1c.jpg

I found out by accident that a couple hits does wonders for minor arthritis discomfort. One knee had gotten so bad that I could not stand up from a crouched position. The dr gave me some meds that took care of it, if I took them. I don't take meds, period! withholding the long story details, I found a little pot made the pain go away. I also found that I could bend my fingers again, as I had not been able to bend my fingers to play my guitar for a couple years. long story short, a couple one hit bowls after work and I play my guitar for an hour or so (and my wife says I'm getting better/more creative). go take another hit and cook supper. I also smoke a bowl before I wax my car, mow my yard, or my 4 mile weekend walks. I was once a runner, marathon and such and quit because of the knee pain. I can now run again but only 3 miles so far--I would rather walk for enjoyment. My lungs are fine! I have been smoking regularly now for 2 years. I grow my own and that is more fun than smoking it! I never get wasted. I only smoke enough to adjust.

I found out by accident that a couple hits does wonders for minor arthritis discomfort. One knee had gotten so bad that I could not stand up from a crouched position. The dr gave me some meds that took care of it, if I took them. I don't take meds, period! withholding the long story details, I found a little pot made the pain go away. I also found that I could bend my fingers again, as I had not been able to bend my fingers to play my guitar for a couple years. long story short, a couple one hit bowls after work and I play my guitar for an hour or so (and my wife says I'm getting better/more creative). go take another hit and cook supper. I also smoke a bowl before I wax my car, mow my yard, or my 4 mile weekend walks. I was once a runner, marathon and such and quit because of the knee pain. I can now run again but only 3 miles so far--I would rather walk for enjoyment. My lungs are fine! I have been smoking regularly now for 2 years. I grow my own and that is more fun than smoking it! I never get wasted. I only smoke enough to adjust.

As to your last two sentences.....Yeah, Right!

I don't take meds, period! withholding the long story details, I found a little pot made the pain go away.
Isn't pot a med? I'm not criticizing - if it works for you, that's great but the way I see it, you do take meds, because you take pot to ease the arthritis pain.

I should have said prescription meds, even though I won't take aspirin, vitamins or other non-natural, man made poor house promoters.

However, should there be a real need, I might.

DW has terrible neuropathy in her legs and feet from all the chemotherapy that she has received over the last 5 years. I'm trying to talk her into going to Colorado for a "ski" vacation :) seriously, she needs some relief (and sleep), this might just do the trick.

Cigarette smoking is legal as well but the health ramifications are horrendous. Why smoke weed? Is it worth the health risk? Is smoking in "moderation" okay? Is there even any such thing as smoking in moderation?

> Is there even any such thing as smoking in moderation?

I never understood the attraction of sucking high temperature smoke right into my lungs. Right up there with sticking dirty needles into my arm. Good times all around.

> Is there even any such thing as smoking in moderation?

I never understood the attraction of sucking high temperature smoke right into my lungs. Right up there with sticking dirty needles into my arm. Good times all around.

You put ice in the bong... :cool:

Smoking pot has absolutely nothing in common with mainlining street drugs with a dirty needle...

Smoking pot has absolutely nothing in common with mainlining street drugs with a dirty needle...

Sure it does....they are both very unhealthy. And on a side note.....my BIL has been smoking weed every day for the last 30 years and he says he does not find it habit forming at all.:blush:

As a proponent of legalizing this and all "fun" drugs, I disagree. Most street drugs are used to alter consciousness, and most smokers/eaters of marijuana (at least from what I've seen/read) use it for that reason, just like many/most users of alcohol. But no one can reasonably dispute the fact that marijuana is less risky than most drugs, even if an uncontaminated supply is used in a sanitary manner. This, of course, includes my daily drug of alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom