Join Early Retirement Today

Millionaire Cop next Door : Karlgaard Digital Rules
Old 07-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Millionaire Cop next Door : Karlgaard Digital Rules

Forbes Magazine article explains the latest batch of millionaires in the USA society
The Millionaire Cop Next Door Digital Rules - Forbes.com

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
gone traveling

Which also brings into the question of the value of any public/private pension plan.

In another article I read today, current average SS benefits are a bit less than $1k/month.

Being generous (hey, it's your money ), let's say it is $1k/mo, or $12k/year.

Using the 4% "magic withdrawl" number (e.g. multiplying $12k * 25 years), we get an initial value of $300k. For a couple, double that to $600k.

Include other retirement income and possibilty for conversion of assets (such as a reverse mortgage), a lot of folks have quite substantial "inferred assets".

It dosen't take away the "sting" of the article, but it does show how Mr/Mrs "Average" also have a bit of inferred wealth.

You don't have to be a public worker to get the benefits of one (however, I still wish I retired from a government job )...

Old 07-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Many of my friends are retired cops from NYC and Nassau County on Long Island NY. The NYC cops do OK but the gold is in Nassau County and also Suffolk County out on Long Island. Most of my friends retired 20 years ago at around 41 after 20 years. Most are receiving around 130K a year with a full Cola. Also Medical with dental and eyeglasses and death benefits. These pensions can also be extended to the spouse. If they live for another 40 years can you imagine how much $ this is worth.

That's why people are paying 20K in taxes on a small Cape Cod home with maybe 70X100 property. How much longer can this go on?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Include other retirement income and possibilty for conversion of assets (such as a reverse mortgage), a lot of folks have quite substantial "inferred assets".

It dosen't take away the "sting" of the article, but it does show how Mr/Mrs "Average" also have a bit of inferred wealth.
Good point, these articles never seem to do a very good job of apples-to-apples. But I suspect that is because accuracy would weaken the punch of the headline.

-ERD50
Old 07-19-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

As Michener said of the Missionaries to Hawaii: "They came to do good... and did very well."
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Good point, these articles never seem to do a very good job of apples-to-apples. But I suspect that is because accuracy would weaken the punch of the headline.

-ERD50

Except that a number of these people are also eligible for SS... the pension is the only difference...

And if they do not have SS... they did not pay for it either... that is a lot of money at 15%...
Old 07-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Except that a number of these people are also eligible for SS... the pension is the only difference...

And if they do not have SS... they did not pay for it either... that is a lot of money at 15%...
You are right. It ALL needs to be taken into account. Too much work for a journalist, I guess. Hmmm, I might start another thread on that....

-ERD50
Old 07-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
That's a rather huge difference, wouldn't you say?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #9

I can't think of too many weeks that went by in which someone didn't remark to me, "I wouldn't do your job for a million dollars."

Turns out I was.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I can't think of too many weeks that went by in which someone didn't remark to me, "I wouldn't do your job for a million dollars."

Turns out I was.

Thumbs Up.gif
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
and....
Old 07-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Which also brings into the question of the value of any public/private pension plan.

In another article I read today, current average SS benefits are a bit less than $1k/month.

Being generous (hey, it's your money ), let's say it is $1k/mo, or $12k/year.

Using the 4% "magic withdrawl" number (e.g. multiplying $12k * 25 years), we get an initial value of $300k. For a couple, double that to $600k.

You don't have to be a public worker to get the benefits of one (however, I still wish I retired from a government job )...
that same cop has social security as well!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
That's a rather huge difference, wouldn't you say?

Sure... but I was pointing out that it really was more of an apples to apples comparison... SS is either part of the person package and they paid into it like we did... or it is not... and they did not pay into it...

What someone needs to do is calculate how much was contributed by the employee and then calculate the true value of the pension above that amount.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkcaptiva View Post
that same cop has social security as well!
Ok - then he is the multi-millionaire next door ...
Old 07-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #14

That article is funny. It uses a cop's salary from a high paying area. Far from a realistic example. If I had stayed with either of my local agencies I would have made 15k or 20k in pension depending on the agency. In my current federal gig, I can expect to make about 40k (including military time purchased) in pension after 30 years on the clock. Of course that is not including social security or TSP. I'm not complaining, just saying I'm far below the 80k in pension.