Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We have family in Pawtucket and have spent a lot of time in Rhode Island--grandparents grew up in and retired to Woonsocket so every three or four years my family would vacation there. Rhode Island is a beautiful and unusual state in many ways.
AHA, now you can be our Gaspar's Chourico connection. We could gang together and place a bulk order direct to the factory

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Never have escaped New England's clutches. I spent the first 30 years in various Boston neighborhoods, the second 30 in a nearby suburb. DW and I talk about moving sometimes to a small place on the water somewhere, but that somewhere would still be in NE. Yeah, winters can be awful and summers are short and sticky, but while San Diegans may say seasons are overrated, we like having 4 seasons, are invigorated by them. An occasional bad weather day just makes us appreciate the good ones that much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 12:09 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Mom born in Laconia. I would visit with family during growing up years. Older relatives are dying so not the vibrant excitement that I used to know as a child. But oh does New England capture my heart.

Here's a post I did in my blog of New England ~5 years ago: Uncommonly Brilliant: Appalachian Spring
Old 09-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

From a recent bike trip on the East Bay bike trail. Photo was taken in Bristol RI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0811141020.jpg (202.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 09-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Just one day in MA

Since being semi-retired and living in Central MA we are doing alot of day trips and one thing that is great is that w/i two hours we can be in NYC, Kennebunckport ME., Burlington VT., Fracona Notch NH, Newport RI. We leave @ 9am and then start to return home ~ 7pm - missing the commuters.

Attached are some photo's along two bike trails - the Cape Cod Canal and another one in central MA. One was Monday and other Tuesday this week!

And no - I did not catch those Strippers.

Attached Images
File Type: png BiketrailinMA.png (450.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: png CapeCodcannal.png (66.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: png CCCanalFish.png (83.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

We have lived in MA for more than 30 years now and very much appreciate all New England has to offer. The COL was factored into our retirement plans and so we should not be forced to move in order to maintain our budget.

So far, we have spent a lot of our time, since retirement, seeing many of the sights that New England has to offer. As a taste, here we are, yesterday, on a quick trip around the southern part of Rhode Island (Port Judith lighthouse) ...

--
Wayne.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTimetoRide View Post
We have lived in MA for more than 30 years now and very much appreciate all New England has to offer. The COL was factored into our retirement plans and so we should not be forced to move in order to maintain our budget.

So far, we have spent a lot of our time, since retirement, seeing many of the sights that New England has to offer. As a taste, here we are, yesterday, on a quick trip around the southern part of Rhode Island (Port Judith lighthouse) ...

--
Wayne.
I was their a few weeks ago - very nice area the waves are massive in the winter!
Old 09-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I spent 8+ years in New England, and I can definitely see what all of you like about it.

But as I age, I want to be able to be out walking almost every day, without driving to some recreation area. Snow and ice and slush are a pain, and even sometimes dangerous. I can remember taking some spectacular falls on Boston streets, which I would not want to repeat at my age or older.

Also, I think I would be a poor candidate for snow birding. (Cost, hassle, and preference for having one place)

Ha
Old 09-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #29
gone traveling

We have been somewhere in Western Suburbs of Boston for last 20 years. I like its European look and feel. When I bike/walk through my town I feel fortunate to live in such a nice place.
It is expensive but given good jobs in the area I feel it is better deal than Silicon Valley.
Change of season is another thing I like a lot. Just like home in Europe