Join Early Retirement Today

New Movie "Inside Job" about 08 Economic Meltdown
Old 10-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Movie "Inside Job" about 08 Economic Meltdown

I've seen reviews of this movie "Inside Job" online, but so far it is only being released in a few big cities. It is a documentary about the debacle of 2008, who caused it, who warned everyone about it, who profited from it, who knew what when. Sounds very interesting.

The closest place to see it for me, is New York City, about 100 miles away ! I hope they eventually market it to the mainstream theaters.

Anyone see this movie yet, and where ?

Thanks

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I've seen reviews of this movie "Inside Job" online, but so far it is only being released in a few big cities. It is a documentary about the debacle of 2008, who caused it, who warned everyone about it, who profited from it, who knew what when. Sounds very interesting.

The closest place to see it for me, is New York City, about 100 miles away ! I hope they eventually market it to the mainstream theaters.

Anyone see this movie yet, and where ?

Thanks
Haven't seen the movie, but might.

David Faber of CNBC produced a program on the global financial crisis:

News Headlines

Also, Andrew Ross Sorkin of the NYT has written "Too Big To Fail" on the same subject matter. I have not read it , though.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #3

An awful lot of actual fraud was committed, and some people have been prosecuted, which is good. But a lot of the problem was caused simply by unethical behavior, which was not illegal, for example, the banks giving out loans to deadbeats, after the feds said "don't worry, the American taxpayer will be on the hook, not you". (Fanny and Freddie) .

I want to see the movie because I want to know that other people know what went on here. A lot of unethical behavior, tolerated by regulators, and encouraged by the social engineering of govt (giving mortgages to deadbeats guaranteed by Joe Taxpayer).
Old 10-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Movie website.
Inside Job - Movie Website for the Documentary Film

Where playing:
INSIDE JOB || A SONY PICTURES CLASSICS RELEASE

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Since America no longer makes anything (except intellectual property)... the wealth of the nation is evaporating... American business has turned into little more than gaming and cannibalization of US capitalism.... all the way up to and including legal fraud!

Unless the right changes are made... we may have peaked. From here it is sideways or a slow slide down until the developing world is at par!
Old 10-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post

Thanks for the "Where playing" site. I see it is playing in Pittsburgh at what is probably my favorite theater, Regent Square, on 11-12.
I still haven't seen the new "Wall Street". After reading the reviews, I decided to wait and rent it from Red Box for a buck.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I've gotta see this one, though it looks like I might be waiting for it on DVD or iTunes.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

You mean ACORN didn't do it?
Old 10-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #9

Cattusbabe, Thanks. It's nowhere near me but maybe it will come to my local "art" theater eventually. Or my library.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #10

Thanks for posting the information. I am going for sure.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #11

The movie came to the local art theaters here, and I went to see it. It starts out in Iceland, with 5 minutes of great photography of volcanoes and ice, and relates the economic debacle Iceland went through, prior to the 2008 global spasm.

But the rest of the movie will be boring to anyone not into economics or politics, IMO.

I found it interesting that the film portrayed George Soros (billionaire investor hated by many, accused of manipulating markets with his billions) in a neutral manner, maybe even as a good guy.

Goldman Sachs gets trashed as insiders making money with the old "pump and dump" strategy, knowingly screwing their own clients.

Lots of politicians are named, and exposed for their parts in the debacle. There's no new villain exposed here, and no new scam unveiled, but it's good to have it all packaged up neatly, for public viewing.

I enjoyed the movie. Well done.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

I can't wait to hear more about the movie. Would strongly recommend the book, The Big Short, by Michael Lewis. Fast and fascinating read about what happened, rather incredible how important entities, such as the bond raters completely abrogated their responsibilities.

Bob
Old 11-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #13

any idea when the movie will be out on DVD?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I found it interesting that the film portrayed George Soros (billionaire investor hated by many, accused of manipulating markets with his billions) in a neutral manner, maybe even as a good guy.
I always saw George Soros as a what-you-see-is-what-you-get guy. I never had the impression that he was trying to scam anyone. He was just an investor who was able to take advantage of world-wide imbalances that were there for everyone to see, even if the rest of us couldn't play in the same game.

IMHO it is very hard to "manipulate markets" today. And it isn't necessary.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrarian View Post
I can't wait to hear more about the movie. Would strongly recommend the book, The Big Short, by Michael Lewis. Fast and fascinating read about what happened, rather incredible how important entities, such as the bond raters completely abrogated their responsibilities.

Bob
+1 Lewis is a great story teller.