Join Early Retirement Today

Not in My Backyard
Old 01-18-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not in My Backyard

The greenies want renewable energy. But they have difficulties with conflicting goals.

They don't want the infrastructure in their backyard or in open lands.

Which is worse? Dependence on foreign oil, pollution, greenhouse gases or the new infrastructure to harvest natural energy?

However, the Power Company seems to be up to a little subterfuge... say one thing to get what they want then do something different. They wouldn't lie would they?

Power Struggle . NOW on PBS
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
The greenies want renewable energy. But they have difficulties with conflicting goals.

Which is worse? Dependence on foreign oil, pollution, greenhouse gases or the new infrastructure to harvest natural energy?

However, the Power Company seems to be up to a little subterfuge... say one thing to get what they want then do something different. They wouldn't lie would they?

Power Struggle . NOW on PBS
Start building those windmills off Nantucket.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post

Painting with a bit of a broad brush there, aren't you? I would consider myself an environmentalist and a proponent of renewable energy, but I support nuclear power and wouldn't mind if they put a wind farm in Long Island Sound (which I view from my house).

I do agree that NIMBY'ism, and its more virulent form BANANA (build absolutely nothing anywhere near anything) is a real problem. We as a society are simply going to have to start making realistic choices about what we want (and start properly evaluating the risk associated with each option).
Old 01-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Painting with a bit of a broad brush there, aren't you? I would consider myself an environmentalist and a proponent of renewable energy, ...

We as a society are simply going to have to start making realistic choices about what we want (and start properly evaluating the risk associated with each option).
Does anyone know - is there a term for the kind of "greenies" that I believe Chinaco was referring to? I guess I'd call them hypocrites, but there must be some kind of specific "green hypocrite" or "green clueless" ( for the people who think hydrogen is a readily available, pollution free energy source, or that electric cars are zero-pollution) term in use.

I agree "Greenie" is probably too broad a brush, but I think I know what he means.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I think there are ways to address NIMBYism. If there's a pressing enough need for more power plants, communities can be bribed persuaded to accept a plant in several different ways. Whether through "profit sharing" checks for locals, reduced cost power or just the lure of more jobs, there are ways to "buy" community support.

But in reality, I think NIMBYism tends to wane when the economy is in the dumps. Anything that's likely to produce hundreds of new jobs in a region is likely to be much more popular now than when almost everyone who wants a decent job has one.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Blatantly political and not related to FIRE.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Does anyone know - is there a term for the kind of "greenies" that I believe Chinaco was referring to? I guess I'd call them hypocrites, but there must be some kind of specific "green hypocrite" or "green clueless" ( for the people who think hydrogen is a readily available, pollution free energy source, or that electric cars are zero-pollution) term in use.
Hypogreenies?
Old 01-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

We need nuclear powered retirement!

And we need it now!
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality_of_Apathy View Post
We need nuclear powered retirement!
Anyone who spent 20 years on a Navy submarine might already have it...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How about just 'Hypocrits'?
After all, do you call a preacher that spends donation money on private jets a 'religious hypocrit' or just 'hypocrit'?
I consider myself a 'greenie' as well. However, I have no problem with them building wind generators in my view.
For those that do, I would suggest this; give them a choice. You can either have now power, wind farm, or a coal plant built in your back yard
Old 01-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Does anyone know - is there a term for the kind of "greenies" that I believe Chinaco was referring to?
I believe they would be called "limousine greenies".
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Blatantly political and not related to FIRE.
You have a point. The OP should have mentioned the costs that could affect the retired folk.

This kind of negativism from pseudo-environmentalists could increase energy costs for us. And, if the govt decides to subsidize programs such that we spend $2 to save $1, that could affect us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
How about just 'Hypocrits'?
After all, do you call a preacher that spends donation money on private jets a 'religious hypocrit' or just 'hypocrit'?
Good point - but I'm just looking for a catchy "buzz word".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Hypogreenies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
I believe they would be called "limousine greenies".
Good ones - I really like "limousine greenies"

-ERD50
Old 01-18-2009, 11:27 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I consider myself a 'greenie' as well. However, I have no problem with them building wind generators in my view.
For those that do, I would suggest this; give them a choice. You can either have now power, wind farm, or a coal plant built in your back yard
I live next to a sewage pumping station, and many's the time I've thought about putting 5-10 KW of photovoltaic panels on its big, flat, sunny, wide-open roof when nobody is looking.

My big obstacle has been figuring out how to disguise the power conduit coming over to our house...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:21 AM   #14

Paint the conduit to look like a sewer pipe??
Old 01-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

A lot of our village is rural. One farmer I know had a nice high point on his land that was difficult to grow crops on. Verizon wanted to put a cell tower on it, and were willing to pay him $2500 a month for 99 years.

The zoning commission refused to grant a permit, even though Verizon agreed to disguise the cell tower by making it look like a silo with an American flag flying on top..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does anyone know - is there a term for the kind of "greenies" that I believe Chinaco was referring to?
-ERD50
Watermelons - Green on the outside. Red on the inside.

Sorry, can't take credit for this one. Got it from a neighbor. He (honestly) believes it's not about NIMBY or BANANA but about "destroying America" from the inside. Can't say I fully agree with him, but you have to wonder about folks who decry the use of oil, coal, and even nuclear but don't want "clean" energy either.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My big obstacle has been figuring out how to disguise the power conduit coming over to our house...
Cover it with sewage.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Cover it with sewage.
Cover it in canvas, and let the local art college students paint it to blend in with the surrounding flora.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #19

Quote:
This kind of negativism from pseudo-environmentalists could increase energy costs for us. And, if the govt decides to subsidize programs such that we spend $2 to save $1, that could affect us.
We've been subsidizing oil for a long, long, time. I have the oil depletion allowance on my 1040 to prove it.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
We've been subsidizing oil for a long, long, time. I have the oil depletion allowance on my 1040 to prove it.
And just think, if we didn't subsidize oil, maybe we wouldn't need subsidies on alternative energy. Funny how the "answer" never involves removing anything, it is always to add another thing to counter-act it.

I've never come across clear numbers about the extent of oil industry subsidies (and I'd prefer to exclude military costs, unless they are directly and unquestionably related to oil, just to avoid that whole issue). Anyone got a good link?

-ERD50

Tags
electricity, renewable energy