Obamacare in the supreme ct

Status
Not open for further replies.
You changed the argument again to apply different info. I just corrected your statement about 30year olds and the ability to buy ins. I can certainly accept that you are against the new law. I just provided stats that show that your example of a death spiral in rates for 30year olds is not likely.

You changed the argument again to apply different info. I just corrected your statement about 30year olds and the ability to buy ins. I can certainly accept that you are against the new law. I just provided stats that show that your example of a death spiral in rates for 30year olds is not likely.

Like I said, the subsidies phase out as you get closer to the 400% of FPL mark. $100/mo per person is the breaking point of most younger clients I've worked with. The lower the income, the less they are willing to spend...many want to spend $50-75/mo and no more. Offering them a subsidy to bring their cost to $200/mo or $250/mo or $300/mo will mean nothing because they just won't buy it. As I say, if you can't write the check, then you can't write the check! There is only one way to find out how this plays out in reality versus theory, so I guess we'll see how it turns out if the law isn't overturned.

Last edited:
I guess the following will certainly make those opposed to the new law mad but it is a question I have had. I live in a state that requires you to carry car insurance. I know the states have the right to require you to purchase a product and that the federal governments right to require you to purchase this product is in question but that is not what my comment is about. Once this law went into effect my insurance rates went down as I was no longer paying as high a un-insured motorist premium. why would we not see the same thing with health care as most would now be covered with insurance than are not now?

OK... I have been away on a nice trip and now have a lot to catch up....

But I am surprised that someone did not answer the first part of this post...

There IS a difference between your example and the federal law...

The state does NOT require you to purchase car insurance... it only requires you to purchase car insurance IF you choose to drive a car... if you want to ride a bicycle or a bus or hitch a ride with others, you do not have to buy car insurance...

Now, what the argument is on the one side is that you can not 'opt out' from the health care industry... like you can 'opt out' of driving...

But if you have enough money and pay for all of your health care needs, then why do you have to buy health insurance...

OK... I have been away on a nice trip and now have a lot to catch up....

But I am surprised that someone did not answer the first part of this post...

There IS a difference between your example and the federal law...

The state does NOT require you to purchase car insurance... it only requires you to purchase car insurance IF you choose to drive a car... if you want to ride a bicycle or a bus or hitch a ride with others, you do not have to buy car insurance...

Now, what the argument is on the one side is that you can not 'opt out' from the health care industry... like you can 'opt out' of driving...

But if you have enough money and pay for all of your health care needs, then why do you have to buy health insurance...

I guess they did not as that was not part of the question and I tried to make the point that I was not asking about the legal aspects of the case now. you point on the legality is a whole other discussion that I respect but was trying to avoid as it gets very political per forum rules.

For the same test LabCorp charges 11 times more to a self pay than to the insurance company. For procedures DW has needed hospitals and medical centers refused to provide total cost estimates beforehand. Only the very wealthiest can afford the risk of no healthcare insurance.

Texas Proud said:

The original Mass Health Plan from Gov. Romney had a "post a bond" alternative to buying insurance. The only problem I saw with that was the absurdly small bond amount, only $10,000, and the lack of an adjustment for medical inflation. Oh, and without insurance to negotiate a discount, the bond holder would have paid full list. That $10 grand wouldn't cover the emergency room visit at full rates.

This is true, but today's 20-somethings have their older GenX cohorts to look to. It's fine and good to say "we need to transfer from young to old for the protection of all older generations, including those who are young today" -- except that we GenX 40-somethings have seen that this "deal", whether it is Medicare, SS, pensions or any other number of transfer programs to older people, are getting to be a worse and worse deal for each successive generation. We're old enough to remember the 1980s SS "reform" that raised our taxes, increased our FRA to 67 and being told that would "secure" us for the next 75 years or more (i.e. that would "fix" SS for our lifetimes). Fool me twice, shame on me?

Today's young people can't be faulted for believing that the deal they would get in their elderly years won't be as good as what today's seniors (or my generation, for that matter) will get.

This is one of the ongoing problems with any "generational warfare" issue involving intergenerational wealth transfer -- the "deal" erodes with each successive generation, starting out to be a great deal for the current elderly, a decent deal for the next generation and terrible for the youngest generations. And I think it's why younger people are more likely to think something must be a terrible deal for them if AARP is for it. That's why what we need to do needs to be sustainable across generations, and we need to resist the urge to "increase" the benefits during boom years that never last forever.
+2

I've heard David Brooks state the average 65 year old paid $145K into Medicare and will get $350-450K out of it. That's not sustainable or fair and I am all for changes that would make it all more equitable even though it works against my own 57 yo interests. AARP should be ashamed of their positions IMO, I wish there was a counter organization.

I am all for some sort of universal health care like the rest of the developed world, but we have to deal with costs and increases like they all have. We can't just patch up our private system and institutionalize what we have, it would cost even more than our already higher than every other country health care. Last time I looked we pay about 40% more per capita than any the 2nd highest other country, without results to show for it.

Last edited:
I don't know anyone who is advocating a system that produces massive adverse selection as you are describing here. Yes, if done wrong -- if there is no universal mandate and there are insufficient penalties for going uninsured -- this could happen.

Pretty much everyone who supports a system with no underwriting recognizes that it can not happen without a "universal mandate" -- and the penalty for noncompliance needs to be stuff, at least as expensive as a high deductible health insurance policy would cost. And as I've said before, with public subsidies (or a public option) there are ways to recoup the costs of "unhealthy lifestyle choices" at the cash register.

If we analyze the overall objective of the bill, it was to be able to offer insurance to everyone at a reasonably affordable cost, and to stop the current insurance companies abuses.

I have not seen this problem solved in any other country other than some form of universal care (whether it includes purchasing your own guaranteed policy or one supplied by the government) But I think if you read any books on the subject of health care in these other countries, they all have one common denominator. Everyone must carry a policy, irregardless or age or health. Also, none of them are run for profit. Others are government run like England HSA , similar to our Medicare (only medicare for all, not just the above 65).

And though I agree that the current bill that got passed, has not adequately addressed all the loopholes (such as low penalty fines) or competition. It is a starting point that can hopefully be refined, adjusted and changed for the better as we go forward.

Someone commented that they don't think it right that a young person of say 27 who is healthy be forced to carry an expensive policy the same as a 60 yr.old. Actually that statement as it relates to numbers is not totally correct. If it were correct however, I would still argue that the 27 yr. old will one day soon be 60 yrs. old, and will need the new 27 yr. following behind him to help off set what could be otherwise an unaffordable premium for the 60 yr. old.

Also, I wonder if anyone considered the positive effects of a more uniform employee health insurance cost for employors. We sure would have less age discrimination in the work force. When looking at hiring a 27 year old, vs a 55 year old for the same job paying the same salary, unless you come with some stunning credentials, who do you think is picked? (Especially in a bad job market like now)

As a small business owner once providing health insurance, I sure know that. The first thing the insurance companies did each year before renewal was look at the the ages of all of the employees and how many claims there were last year and if that employee or employees were still on the payroll. They set that new premium for the next year according to those factors.

So as a small business owner, if I want to be able to continue to offer my employees health insurance, or not have my policy purged, what do you suppose I do when I consider who to hire? That unfortunately is an ugly truth.

So if the current bill that requires the young and healthy to join the pool and the mandate that everyone must participate is struck down, then so goes the Pre Existing Condition part, or the Purging of Sick people and small companies.

(Actually what insurance companies do with small companies who have some chronic sick people that they want to get rid of, they raise the new rates so high each year, you are eventually forced to let your policy (or even uglier) your sick employees go. Not a very pretty picture either way.

I agree I don't think we're there yet on the cost issue because the insurance companies still have too much control, no real competition, and will always figure out a way to circumvent the problem to maintain there profits. And rightly so, as they are a For Profit Company, and have shareholders to satisfy, and promised stock options that must be made attractive to hire the best people.

But correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't the Supreme Court only allowed to decide in the legal merit of the case brought before them? And if the issue put before them is whether or not the mandate in the bill is Constitutional, the consequences of them ruling it is not - is of little concern to them (legally speaking)

It will nonetheless be very interesting hearing the arguments coming from each one of the Justices. I wonder if there will be any unexpected surprises in their rulings from either side. I am sure this board will be lit up once again.

Last edited:
So if the current bill that requires the young and healthy to join the pool and the mandate that everyone must participate is struck down, then so goes the Pre Existing Condition part, or the Purging of Sick people and small companies.
If the individual mandate were found to be unconstitutional, the insurance exchanges could still go ahead and be set up. Subsidies (i.e. forced wealth redistribution) could be set up so that no person would pay more than, say, 10% of their income for insurance (and the truly indigent would pay less than that or nothing), and the companies would have to accept every applicant and charge them the same rate. So you'd have a situation where everyone could realistically be able to afford coverage. Those who elect to make a different choice would have no government-supported coverage--not Medicaid, nothing except what they can provide for themselves, get from family or charities, etc. But, because of the premium supports, everyone would be able to afford coverage. At first many folks would skip coverage, and then the consequences of these decisions would become part of the public awareness. Wouldn't that be better than nothing? Would it be better than what we have now? Have we come so far from the idea of people ultimately being responsible for themselves that we won't permit bad decisions to have repercussions in this area as they do in every other aspect of our lives?

If we analyze the overall objective of the bill, it was to be able to offer insurance to everyone at a reasonably affordable cost, and to stop the current insurance companies abuses.

I have not seen this problem solved in any other country other than some form of universal care (whether it includes purchasing your own guaranteed policy or one supplied by the government) But I think if you read any books on the subject of health care in these other countries, they all have one common denominator. Everyone must carry a policy, irregardless or age or health. Also, none of them are run for profit. Others are government run like England HSA , similar to our Medicare (only medicare for all, not just the above 65).

And though I agree that the current bill that got passed, has not adequately addressed all the loopholes (such as low penalty fines) or competition. It is a starting point that can hopefully be refined, adjusted and changed for the better as we go forward.

Someone commented that they don't think it right that a young person of say 27 who is healthy be forced to carry an expensive policy the same as a 60 yr.old. Actually that statement as it relates to numbers is not totally correct. If it were correct however, I would still argue that the 27 yr. old will one day soon be 60 yrs. old, and will need the new 27 yr. following behind him to help off set what could be otherwise an unaffordable premium for the 60 yr. old.

Also, I wonder if anyone considered the positive effects of a more uniform employee health insurance cost for employors. We sure would have less age discrimination in the work force. When looking at hiring a 27 year old, vs a 55 year old for the same job paying the same salary, unless you come with some stunning credentials, who do you think is picked? (Especially in a bad job market like now)

As a small business owner once providing health insurance, I sure know that. The first thing the insurance companies did each year before renewal was look at the the ages of all of the employees and how many claims there were last year and if that employee or employees were still on the payroll. They set that new premium for the next year according to those factors.

So as a small business owner, if I want to be able to continue to offer my employees health insurance, or not have my policy purged, what do you suppose I do when I consider who to hire? That unfortunately is an ugly truth.

(Actually what insurance companies do with small companies who have some chronic sick people that they want to get rid of, they raise the new rates so high each year, you are eventually forced to let your policy (or even uglier) your sick employees go. Not a very pretty picture either way.

I agree I don't think we're there yet on the cost issue because the insurance companies still have too much control, no real competition, and will always figure out a way to circumvent the problem to maintain there profits. And rightly so, as they are a For Profit Company, and have shareholders to satisfy, and promised stock options that must be made attractive to hire the best people.

But correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't the Supreme Court only allowed to decide in the legal merit of the case brought before them? And if the issue put before them is whether or not the mandate in the bill is Constitutional, the consequences of them ruling it is not - is of little concern to them (legally speaking)

It will nonetheless be very interesting hearing the arguments coming from each one of the Justices. I wonder if there will be any unexpected surprises in their rulings from either side. I am sure this board will be lit up once again.

Modhatter,

Thanks for the long, thought-out response, good to see. I will try to respond to each part of your post individually:

I think what you and other ER.org members would consider to be a "reasonably affordable cost" is very different than what the general public would consider reasonably affordable. Sell health insurance for a few weeks and you will see exactly what I mean.

modhatter said:

As we go forward, there is no going back. Once the entitlements of health insurance subsidies are in place, it will be incredibly difficult to take them away. I truly do not think that there is any way for the bill as written to become sustainable over a long period of time. In my personal opinion, the only possible thing that PPACA can lead to when I look 20-30 years down the line is some type of single-payer system.

modhatter said:
Someone commented that they don't think it right that a young person of say 27 who is healthy be forced to carry an expensive policy the same as a 60 yr.old. Actually that statement as it relates to numb[rs is not totally correct. If it were correct however, I would still argue that the 27 yr. old will one day soon be 60 yrs. old, and will need the new 27 yr. following behind him to help off set what could be otherwise an unaffordable premium for the 60 yr. old.

My argument was that a 27 year old is not likely to pay more for health insurance simply to subsidize a 60 year old, which is essentially what this bill requires. While the 27 year old will be 60 at some point and have to deal with these expenses then, the average income of a 60 year old person is much higher than that of a 27 year old. As I posted before, it is incredibly difficult to get someone under 30 years old to spend more than $100/month on health insurance. Trying to explain an HSA plan to someone under 30 is almost like pulling teeth.

modhatter said:

As a small business owner, when all policies become guaranteed-issue in 2014, you will most likely want to purge your employees from the health insurance plan and give them a defined contribution towards their health coverage instead. This eliminates a number of hassles for small employers, such as dealing with rate increases, having to review other coverage options every year, and having to explain to employees why their rates and cost-sharing are both increasing.

modhatter said:

Easier said than done. As stated earlier in this thread, until the marginal cost of the penalty exceeds the marginal cost of not having health insurance, many will choose to have nothing and challenge the IRS to squeeze blood from a turnip.

modhatter said:

The healthcare bill will further decrease competition and leave the individual health insurance market in the hands of 3-4 large insurers. I predict that in 2014, 98% of the health insurance market will be owned by Blue Cross/Blue Shield companies, United Healthcare, Humana, and Aetna. Smaller companies cannot make a profit with an 80% loss ratio requirement. Let's revisit this post in 2014 and see if I'm right.

If the individual mandate were found to be unconstitutional, the insurance exchanges could still go ahead and be set up. Subsidies (i.e. forced wealth redistribution) could be set up so that no person would pay more than, say, 10% of their income for insurance (and the truly indigent would pay less than that or nothing), and the companies would have to accept every applicant and charge them the same rate. So you'd have a situation where everyone could realistically be able to afford coverage. Those who elect to make a different choice would have no government-supported coverage--not Medicaid, nothing except what they can provide for themselves, get from family or charities, etc. But, because of the premium supports, everyone would be able to afford coverage. At first many folks would skip coverage, and then the consequences of these decisions would become part of the public awareness. Wouldn't that be better than nothing? Would it be better than what we have now? Have we come so far from the idea of people ultimately being responsible for themselves that we won't permit bad decisions to have repercussions in this area as they do in every other aspect of our lives?

Again, I think you severely overestimate the number of people willing to pay 10% of their income for health insurance. In my experience selling hundreds of health insurance policies, the average premium tolerance is a maximum of about 5% of total income except for those in bad health whose claims will outweigh any premiums they pay anyway. The way that PPACA is set up, there is a massive marginal tax on anyone who exceeds the subsidy thresholds. Family of 4 making $92k gets a massive subsidy so their cost of insurance doesn't exceed 9.5% of insurance. Family of 4 making $1 over the maximum to qualify for subsidies gets no subsidy at all and pays 100% of their now ridiculously expensive health insurance cost. This difference can be up to $20k/year, believe it or not.

If the individual mandate were found to be unconstitutional, the insurance exchanges could still go ahead and be set up. Subsidies (i.e. forced wealth redistribution) could be set up so that no person would pay more than, say, 10% of their income for insurance (and the truly indigent would pay less than that or nothing), and the companies would have to accept every applicant and charge them the same rate.

Well that's why the participation in the mandate is crucial. Without it, there would be too few people to level the "cost" playing field. That is why it is considered an integral part of the whole bill. The question in my mind is: Is that of any concern to the Supreme Court in their rulings?

You and I have spared before on this subject (health care bill) so I am aware of your sentiments concerning having to pay other peoples bills. You feel everyone should earn their own way, and for the most part, I agree with you. I don't think that everyone is entitled to live in a nice house or drive a nice car, or have great clothes etc.. But where we do differ: I do feel we as a collective society should all have a right to expect at least a basic level of health care. Not necessarily the same level, but at least a marginally acceptable level for sustaining life. All other industrial countries do, and even many third world countries do. We as a county in this big world of ours are very much alone in our thinking otherwise in this matter (or at least half of our country)

And I also happen to feel that this can best be achieved by government collective sharing for the good of "the all." If you don't travel a particular highway in your state, should you not have to be taxed for it. If your house doesn't burn down, and you don't have to call the fire company, should you be reimbursed your tax money? There are some things that can only be best served by everyone putting into the pot. If you eat less, and throw out less garbage should you get a rebate? You get my drift, right?

As for Medicaid recipients. Even though they may be thankful they have it, I would guess that most would trade places with you or me in a heart beat. I think the difference here lies in our "shared list". I think health care belongs on it and you don't. I don't think the poor receiving Medicaide are always getting the same level of care that you and I do and as long as I could afford it, I would probably pay for a private policy myself. But, then again, I sure would want it if had no other options.

Actually dividing the pot up as we have proves to be not very cost effective. The government doesn't collect enough revenue to cover all the health claims that come in at this age group (Medicare -65 and over). Wouldn't it make more sense to consolidate the insurance across the board to include everyone. If you think that the government is incapable of running the show, fine. Let an outside NON PROFIT insurance company do it. (but with strict accountability)

Some countries who have a system like this allow for those who can afford more to buy supplemental insurance that will provide them with more perks (private rooms, better doctor selection, newest drugs not just generic, etc.) The mandatory basic policy premium is deducted from their pay checks weekly, or by weekly or in some cases paid for by the company, and the individual then can if they so choose, up their coverage and chose a supplemental policy of their own which they pay for themselves directly. They can choose any additional level of care that they want. (They earned it) I guess you could say it's a Medicaid for all, and if you can afford more, you get it. The basic policy doesn't allow you to go to Sloan Kettering when you get cancer, you go to your local cancer center in your area. With the supplemental (paid for by the money you have earned through your hard work), you can go to Sloan Kettering. Could you be comfortable with a system like this?

I enjoyed reading about what the Taiwanese government did (I believe it was Taiwan, if my memory serves me right) They were one of the latter nations to tackle the health care issue. They were aware of some of the bad experiences some other countries had with theirs. So they formed a committee to research I think something like 26 different countries, who have had some form of universal health care for a while.

I think it took them almost two years to complete the study, but they physically visited each country, and spoke not only with the health officials, government officials, treasury, but visited the hospitals, talked to the doctors and the staff, the patients, and every component of the industry. They made up a report of their findings from each country - listing how they ran it, what worked and what didn't, and most importantly why.

With this study in hand, they came back to their country and sat down to draw from the mistakes and accomplishments of each countries system, and put together a plan from this information gathered, to incorporate the best of what they found, and avoid the worst of what they found.

Now call me nuts, but doesn't this seem like a very logical approach for refining our own countries future health care needs and dealing with rising costs. :blush:

Just some interesting information for any of you interested.

Last edited:
That is why it [the individual mandate] is considered an integral part of the whole bill. The question in my mind is: Is that of any concern to the Supreme Court in their rulings?
I sure hope not. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think the Supreme Court is in the business of making a law "work", they are there as the arbiter of whether legislation is consistent with the Constitution. Most laws are written with severability clauses to allow the remainder of the legislation to stand if one portion is struck down, that was deliberately not done in this case. If the individual mandate is struck down, it will be up to the Court to decide whether the rest of the legislation stands, but the intent of Congress was clear (by omission of the severability clause).

I do feel we as a collective society should all have a right to expect at least a basic level of health care.

From where does this "right" originate? It's inherently different from the rights expressed in the Constitution, as no one is forced to work for the government for free to pay for them. It might be good if we collectively paid for health care for everyone, we might agree that it would make for a better society, but I think "right" goes much too far.

From where does this "right" originate? It's inherently different from the rights expressed in the Constitution, as no one is forced to work for the government for free to pay for them. It might be good if we collectively paid for health care for everyone, we might agree that it would make for a better society, but I think "right" goes much too far.

You are correct SamClem. It is not a Constitutional Right. I view it more as a moral right on society as a whole. I don't need to consult my Constitution to marry who I want. It is a right that society over time has implied as my human right. Even as little as 25 years ago, the cost of carrying health care insurance for an individual or family, was not the enormous burden it is today. It was very manigable for most up until the last decade. This is a NEW early 21st Century problem that we are encountering which is getting worse every year, and we need to find solutions.

I think a compassionate society should want to find a way to provide a minimum level of health care for it's citizens.

Because our government has failed us for so many years to address this elephant in the room (not politically intended) and actively seek out some workable solutions does not bode well for our government in my mind. It is the governments role to intervene in some matters when their citizens are being hurt or abused. It is their job to govern, and protect, and institute new laws to achieve this when necessary. I think most of us feel (who were in favor of health care reform) that what did get past is better than nothing, and if it took us this long to get this past, we'll take it as a start. I think but can't say with certainty, that the public option was meant to be a stepping stone to an eventual single payer. But they could have pulled the wool over our eyes on that one two. Many say it was really never in the cards to begin with.

The one thing that I do agree with that another poster mentioned which I know is true. It is very hard to take away any subsidies once they are given. Of course the reason for that is a politicians fear of losing his or her seat if they vote in favor of taking something away. So sometimes our Democratic ways has the end result of making sure nothing gets done.

Perhaps though, if it were to prove to be a bad choice or unsustainable, we might at that point be more willing on a more united front to look at and explore some single payer options with some real serious leverage with the pharmaceutical companies as well.

What a great thread!

Whether health care is a "right", moral obligation or not seems secondary at best.

We pay more than 50% more than the next highest developed country and 145% more than the average. And our costs are increasing faster than other developed countries http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0a/Health_care_cost_rise.svg

If we had better results to show for it, the premium might be explainable, but we don't.
  • The US is 20th in life expectancy List of countries by life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • The US is 34th in infant mortality List of countries by infant mortality rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • No other country has anything like the number of medically uninsured as the US, it's unheard of in most other countries. In the US, people who lacked health insurance last year climbed to 49.9 million, up from 49 million in 2009, 16.3% of the population.
  • Our wait times are not shorter than other countries (see below - might have been true once, not any more, though people still use this argument)
  • Medical bankruptcy does not exist in countries with universal health coverage like Japan, Canada, Great Britain, Taiwan, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, Austria, Finland, and France, just to name a quick dozen. But, here in the wealthiest, most powerful country in the world, medical debt forces many people into bankruptcy. The American Journal of Medicine recently published a study showing that medical debt has contributed to over 60% of [US] bankruptcies. [In the vast majority of these cases debtors had other kinds of debt as well, such as credit cards and taxes. But they also had at least some medical debt.] Medical Bankruptcy is No Myth
In other words, there are arguably better models all around us, in practical terms we can do so much better. I wish we could share thoughts on how, but I'd be afraid of having Porky show up...

People like to point to one or two causes, there are probably many more which is part of the reason it's so difficult to address. Some of the factors (in no particular order):
  • lifestyle (obesity, smoking, drugs)
  • high cost and profit for intermediaries (insurance)
  • excessive profit for some product and service providers
  • administrative burden (millions of microplans)
  • high charges for specialized services
  • forced use of expensive specialized facilities for routine medical needs (emergency room)
  • multiple regulations around the country
  • punitive legal awards
  • diagnostic overuse (expensive tests even for routine matters)
  • treatment overuse (especially end of life)
  • excessive unproductive labor vs technology
  • excessive usage

Attachments

• HPE-Access-2011-from-MacBook-Pro.018.jpg
    HPE-Access-2011-from-MacBook-Pro.018.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 5
  • saupload_f1.JPG
    saupload_f1.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Why is health care so expensive in the US? Because it's lucrative and those benefitting from the current system have worked to preserve it as much as possible.

For instance, pharmaceuticals cost way more in the US than in other countries. Big Pharma says US needs to pay higher prices to fund research that everyone benefits from -- that claim is debatable to some, as a lot of the research comes from NIH-funded work.

It's amazing there's no outrage that we're being gouged so the rest of the world could pay less. But what happened, the pharmaceutical lobbyists got to write laws, such as the prescription drug benefit, including clauses that outlaw the ability of the govt. to negotiate for lower drug prices. Plus the federal govt. actively tries to prevent Americans from importing drugs from Canada for lower prices.

What to make of these laws and actions other than they're purely for the benefit of the drug industry at the expense of the people?

Oh and citing the Constitution as not having a right to health care is an expedient way to preserve the current system. THere are a lot of things the govt. does, including many that are supported by "strict constructionists" which are not explicitly spelled out.

That 250-year old document gets trotted out when it's convenient, as if all human wisdom and foresight reached their apex in the 18th century.

That 250-year old document gets trotted out when it's convenient, as if all human wisdom and foresight reached their apex in the 18th century.
It's true--I'm fairly fond of "that 250-year old document." It even has a built-in mechanism to allow for updating it. We all agree that the present health care "system" (ha!) is a mess, so if this is something that we're ready to cede to the government it would seem proper to amend that hoary old document to make everyone's rights and responsibilities more clear. Maybe this high and proper road will get more attention if the Supreme Court invalidates the individual mandate in the present law.

No amendments any time soon.

It's amazing there's no outrage that we're being gouged so the rest of the world could pay less. But what happened, the pharmaceutical lobbyists got to write laws, such as the prescription drug benefit, including clauses that outlaw the ability of the govt. to negotiate for lower drug prices. Plus the federal govt. actively tries to prevent Americans from importing drugs from Canada for lower prices.

I am outraged by it. But it's not all at Big Pharma. Some of it is the price fixing of most other countries that mandate the most they will pay. I just worry that if *every* nation puts significant price caps on new medications, a significant percentage of current R&D gets scrapped.

And some of the outrage is to the legislators who prevent re-importation of medications from places whose drug safety laws are every bit as strong as those in the US, if not stronger.

That 250-year old document gets trotted out when it's convenient

1761?? That was even before the Stamp Act...

Last edited:
I rounded up. I think it was 1787 and final ratification was 1789?

And it's been roughly 100 years since the last amendment?

As for R&D in pharma, it's greatly overrated. They benefit a lot from NIH-funded research and then they get to patent drugs which are slight variations of other drugs, either by the same companies or a competitor. Then they get some favorable patent terms, like keeping certain drugs off generics longer.

Plus their ad budget is larger than their R&D and they concentrate on lifestyle drugs these days. When we had vaccine scares, turned out they stopped making enough of certain vaccines because the profit margins weren't there.

Before the oil industry blew up, Pharma was ridiculously profitable, with oversized compensation for execs.

Pharma isn't the only reason for the high health care costs but it's a part of it. Then you have hospitals and other providers too.

Pharma isn't the only reason for the high health care costs but it's a part of it. Then you have hospitals and other providers too.
There are plenty of reasons. The problem is that these causes are ideologically diverse, and I think too many people only argue for the subset of causes that neatly fit their ideological perspective and dismiss the other ones as insignificant -- or not factors at all since it doesn't fit their agenda. That drives me crazy and I think it's part of the reason we're collectively too ideologically stubborn and intransigent to fix this.

And it's been roughly 100 years since the last amendment?
Even if you don't include the 27th Amendment (which was proposed around 1790, I think), there have been several amendments in the last 100 years -- the most recent (the 26th) in 1971.

There have been six amendments ratified since WW2.

But beyond that I would tend to agree that Washington seems to have no interest in the amendment process -- they prefer to pass Constitutionally questionable legislation and hope the Supreme Court looks the other way.

Last edited:
The problem is that these causes are ideologically diverse, and I think too many people only argue for the subset of causes that neatly fit their ideological perspective and dismiss the other ones as insignificant -- or not factors at all since it doesn't fit their agenda. That drives me crazy and I think it's part of the reason we're collectively too ideologically stubborn and intransigent to fix this.
+1

Like many of the issues that have the US "stuck" at the moment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom