Join Early Retirement Today

Obamas and Wellington/Wellesley
Old 01-27-2009, 07:35 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Obamas and Wellington/Wellesley

Several of us use a combination of Wellington/ Wellesley in our portfolios. For those who think the new pres is pretty sharp, you may be interested in this article....

A look at Barack Obama the investor - MSN Money
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"The two largest assets listed are a checking account with Northern Trust and an account with JPMorgan Private Client Asset Management, each in the range of $100,001 and $250,000."
Wellington and Wellesley are good choices, but when this story was written he had somewhere between $100,001 and $250,000 sitting in a checking account. I'm not sure how smart that is--he had to be earning next to nothing on it (unless the bank is giving him a "special" rate like the one he got for a previous home loan), and at the time this story was written, the amount in this checking account exceeded the then-current $100K limit on FDIC insurance (that is, unless it was a retirement account or was actually more than one account.)
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Obama hasn't been living on the same planet as the rest of us for at least a decade. I wouldn't base anything on what he did with his personal finances.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
but when this story was written he had somewhere between $100,001 and $250,000 sitting in a checking account. I'm not sure how smart that is--he had to be earning next to nothing on it
At least if he still had that in his checking account last year, he didn't lose 35%...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

So, have we decided to bring back the soapbox?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
So, have we decided to bring back the soapbox?
Perish the thought! In just three posts we've explored the limits of FDIC insurance, the relative merits of investments in equities vs. bank accounts, and the fact that political leaders may have differing priorities (and differing access to "preferential financial services") than other people, thus limiting our ability to draw lessons from their personal financial behavior. Lots of information for everyone and not a political comment to be found. Thank goodness!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If I remember well pres. GW Bush also had a significant amount of money invested in Wellington.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Ah! Wellington, a bipartisan mutual fund! Why have I not yet have any money in that?

Just recently, some forum members had the audacity to even ponder the possibility that VG is a Ponzi scheme.

That is now a don't-care question as I know that having top dogs on my side will ensure recovery of my money if, heaven forbid, VG turns out to be a Ponzi scheme. Thanks to all earlier posters.

Samclem is right! It is a shame that this hidden gem of a thread is buried in the vestigial forum of "Political Topics". I propose that it be moved to the main forum of "Fire and Money", as it is of utmost importance to forum members.

And in case Unclemick is not around, psst Wellesley too.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:32 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

"I propose that it be moved to the main forum of "Fire and Money", as it is of utmost importance to forum members."

I posted on "Fire and Money" and someone moved it. Took me a while this morning to find it again!
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
...........<snip>.......... Lots of information for everyone and not a political comment to be found. Thank goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Obama hasn't been living on the same planet as the rest of us for at least a decade. I wouldn't base anything on what he did with his personal finances.

travelover is offline   Reply With Quote