Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

100% agree.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The Medicare premiums are less than a 1/3 of what we pay now, and we still have excellent retiree HI. We have a great retirement lifestyle and our MAGI is nowhere near $170k/year. That is why an extra $84/mo at that income level doesn't seem much to me.
Alan, I appreciate the fact you and I can gaze at some lucky guy making an MAGI of $85k (or $170k if MFJ) and hypothesize that paying a Medicare premium surcharge wouldn't be a big deal for them. And I'm sure folks not living the "great retirement lifestyle" that you and your family enjoy because their retirement income is lower (for whatever reason) are looking at guys like you and I thinking we should pay more. And we probably should.

How much more do you think YOU should be paying given the fact that you're living so much better than the typical American retiree?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

Alan, I appreciate the fact you and I can gaze at some lucky guy making an MAGI of $85k (or $170k if MFJ) and hypothesize that paying a Medicare premium surcharge wouldn't be a big deal for them. And I'm sure folks not living the "great retirement lifestyle" that you and your family enjoy because their retirement income is lower (for whatever reason) are looking at guys like you and I thinking we should pay more. And we probably should.

How much more do you think YOU should be paying given the fact that you're living so much better than the typical American retiree?
I would be quite happy to return to the 28% marginal tax rate we were on before. (We are currently in the 25% bracket)
Old 02-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I would be quite happy to return to the 28% marginal tax rate we were on before. (We are currently in the 25% bracket)
Sounds like our income circumstances are somewhat similar and I could agree to your suggestion without cringing.

I wonder if folks with, say, a retirement income of $25k might think 28% isn't enough and you and I should be up in the 33% bracket? To them, it would appear we could easily afford that. It would be no big deal in their eyes. And perhaps they are correct.

The slope of the graduations in taxes (including the elimination of deductions, higher Medicare premiums, SS taxes, etc., etc.) is always an interesting debate. It's frequently punctuated by feelings of wanting to be left alone while folks earning more pay higher percentages. After all, folks with more than me are "rich."

Edit: Replaced "Medicare surcharge" with "higher Medicare premiums" per the SS web site.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #85

Is the higher premium paid by some a surcharge, or less subsidy? Even the higher rates are far less than equivalent private policies.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I don't disagree but I don't think there are enough retired CEO's to tax to make much difference.
I agree, but at least it's a good faith gesture to younger folks who are going to be asked to sacrifice even more.

I wouldn't touch anyone over 60 and less than about $200K, personally. Again, that's just me, but I'd be a lot more willing to take a whack if I didn't feel like some extremely wealthy people aren't also taking a whack just because they are older.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I agree, but at least it's a good faith gesture to younger folks who are going to be asked to sacrifice even more.

I wouldn't touch anyone over 60 and less than about $200K, personally. Again, that's just me, but I'd be a lot more willing to take a whack if I didn't feel like some extremely wealthy people aren't also taking a whack just because they are older.
It seems like folks under 50 should be able to pay more with no effort whatsoever. They have 15 - 20 working years left to adjust their plans and compensate, so no big deal. No sacrifice involved. Yawn.

We geezers, now we need to be taken care of.

Just kiddin' Zig....... Sarcasm aside, I think you know my real feelings on the subject.