Join Early Retirement Today

Our Glorious Congress at Work
Old 05-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our Glorious Congress at Work

congress refuses to outlaw insider trading for lawmakers: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You're on a roll today.

Quote:
That's right. Members of Congress are currently allowed to profit on insider trading!
Well, of course. I mean, what's the good in being royalty if you don't get some perqs that are denied to the lumpen and regular proles.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
You're on a roll today.

Well, of course. I mean, what's the good in being royalty if you don't get some perqs that are denied to the lumpen and regular proles.
It´s such a relief to know that your congressmen are of the same kind as ours!
Old 05-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #4

Hey Vincente,

Not to highjack this thread, but what is your take on Spain's economic and debt situation. We hear lots about it over here, but I was wondering what the press in Spain is saying, and the general mood of the population. Maybe you could start a new thread?
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Hey Vincente,

Not to highjack this thread, but what is your take on Spain's economic and debt situation. We hear lots about it over here, but I was wondering what the press in Spain is saying, and the general mood of the population. Maybe you could start a new thread?
Hi Indie! According to our media and average public opinion, we are on the recovery path, at a very low speed, lower than France, G. Britain and Germany, but with a smaller national debt. We have our financial and banking institutions under reasonable control. Our problem is unemployment -4,5 millon- and a very rigid flow of cash from the banks demanding all sort of guaranties in order to loan money-despite having been bailed out with our taxes.
Our main source of jobs has been residential building, a bubble that has crashed. We are desperately searchiing for an alternative industry that can induce the same massive capacity of generating jobs.
We are inmersed in the eternal dilemma of reducing public spending/debt without endangering our welfare system. But social cuts and labor restrictions are looming on the inmediate horizon. Though nothing like Greece or Portugal.
But, like many of you, we have an increasing distrust of politicians - and their inablility to control our own financial institutions, let alone the internationsl sharks.
Then, there is this theory/rumor/whatever, than every non Europen nation is conspiring against the euro.....
Old 05-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
You're on a roll today.
Why, yes he is!

and the picture source seems especially fitting to FIRE...
http://www.royalbaconsociety.com/blo...innamon-rolls/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ha on a roll.jpg (23.5 KB, 1 views)
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:47 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Hi Indie! According to our media and average public opinion, we are on the recovery path, at a very low speed, lower than France, G. Britain and Germany, but with a smaller national debt. We have our financial and banking institutions under reasonable control. Our problem is unemployment -4,5 millon- and a very rigid flow of cash from the banks demanding all sort of guaranties in order to loan money-despite having been bailed out with our taxes.
Our main source of jobs has been residential building, a bubble that has crashed. We are desperately searchiing for an alternative industry that can induce the same massive capacity of generating jobs.
We are inmersed in the eternal dilemma of reducing public spending/debt without endangering our welfare system. But social cuts and labor restrictions are looming on the inmediate horizon. Though nothing like Greece or Portugal.
But, like many of you, we have an increasing distrust of politicians - and their inablility to control our own financial institutions, let alone the internationsl sharks.
Then, there is this theory/rumor/whatever, than every non Europen nation is conspiring against the euro.....
glad to hear about the distrust of the politicians. the banksters have quietly taken over much of the industrialized world.

the US is especially bad - as they own the executive branch, most of the legislative...now fixing to get a member on the supreme court. the control over the main steam media is driving traffic to the internet - their ratings and subscriptions are in freefall as people are flocking to the internet for the truth.
endthefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by endthefed View Post
glad to hear about the distrust of the politicians. the banksters have quietly taken over much of the industrialized world.

the US is especially bad - as they own the executive branch, most of the legislative...now fixing to get a member on the supreme court. the control over the main steam media is driving traffic to the internet - their ratings and subscriptions are in freefall as people are flocking to the internet for the truth.
Nonsense, you spout rhetoric but offer no facts.
Politicians who vote for cuts in SS, Medicare, or just about anything else get voted out of office.
Politians have learned that the way no win elections is to give money to the populace. The voting public is who tought the politicians this.
Rather than tilting at windmills, strive to educate people in simple financial matters and we will be better off as a nation.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Nonsense, you spout rhetoric but offer no facts.
Politicians who vote for cuts in SS, Medicare, or just about anything else get voted out of office.
Politians have learned that the way no win elections is to give money to the populace. The voting public is who tought the politicians this.
Rather than tilting at windmills, strive to educate people in simple financial matters and we will be better off as a nation.
what is nonsense? i'll gladly back up any/all claims i make - which do you care to challenge?
Old 05-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Yup... they are a disappointment.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #11

Allright, to start with, define your terms.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but it would be easier to understand just what your points are if you would be clear.
Just who are "banksters"?
What do you mean by "they own the executive branch"?
Why do you think the Internet is a place people can find truth more so than in mainstream media?
Old 05-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Allright, to start with, define your terms.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but it would be easier to understand just what your points are if you would be clear.
Just who are "banksters"?
What do you mean by "they own the executive branch"?
Why do you think the Internet is a place people can find truth more so than in mainstream media?
some of the banksters = the owners of the federal reserve bank of new york. their control is amazing. remember the banker bailout? add a couple more trillion under the table after that. they refuse to tell us who got the trillions -- bloomberg is suing them to find out, has won twice -- but the fed keeps appealing.

320 house members cosponsored a full audit of the fed. it was killed in the senate last week. 60-30 ish vote...so they have an easy majority in the senate. this was just so "we the people" could see what the fed is doing with OUR CHECKBOOK!

executive branch banksters: A List of Goldman Sachs People in the Obama Government: Names Attached to the Giant Squid’s Tentacles | The Seminal
Old 05-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by endthefed View Post
some of the banksters = the owners of the federal reserve bank of new york. their control is amazing. remember the banker bailout? add a couple more trillion under the table after that. they refuse to tell us who got the trillions -- bloomberg is suing them to find out, has won twice -- but the fed keeps appealing.

320 house members cosponsored a full audit of the fed. it was killed in the senate last week. 60-30 ish vote...so they have an easy majority in the senate. this was just so "we the people" could see what the fed is doing with OUR CHECKBOOK!
If you are stating there is corruption in our government you will get no argument from me.
However, if a politician makes a vote which favors a particular company/interest group/group of individuals, I don't think that means said politician is "owned" by them.
If it did, then they are 'owned' by lots of different groups, doesn't it?
Old 05-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Back on our venerable Congress members being beyond the laws that we must abide by, I have been told earlier that they do not have to conform to the Equal Opportunity laws, and can hire anybody they like for their staff. So, this exemption from insider trading does not surprise me, though it is more disgusting.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote