Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
And to think the union folks are recalling our governor here in Wisconsin because instead of 0%. they have to contribute 5.8% of their own pension and 12% of their health premiums.....
Here we go again another state where the employees contribute nothing to their benefits. This is not sustainable. City of Chicago employees contribute 8.5% to 9.5% to their pensions.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #22

The new legislation that is proposed would double Chicago employees contributions toward pension if they want to stay in their current format with existing benefits.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #23

I think it is only right that these people should contribute to their health care and pensions. Who among us hasn't?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Here we go again another state where the employees contribute nothing to their benefits. This is not sustainable. City of Chicago employees contribute 8.5% to 9.5% to their pensions.

I think going from 0% paid towards anything to 5.8% for pension and about 12% is fair. After all, the taxpayers still pay 94.2% of the pension and 88% of their healthcare............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Don't know how widespread it is, but this 'employee contribution' could be window dressing to appease taxpayers if the pensions are outlandish. There is no way any city employee should have a pension of $500K/yr - none. Again, I don't know for sure but IL is well known for political shenanigans. Not sure Chicago is a good example to use...corruption there is legendary even today. Providence probably has nothing on Chicago...

Chicago union officials face criminal probe over city pensions - Chicago Tribune
Quote:
At least eight union officials named in the subpoena who either receive city pensions or are eligible for them also earned credit in union pension funds for the same period of work, despite a state law that was supposed to prevent that. The joint investigation found that some of those labor leaders were participating in up to three pension funds at the same time, accruing retirement benefits that reached as high $500,000 a year.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Don't know how widespread it is, but this could be window dressing to appease taxpayers if the pensions are outlandish. There is no way any city employee should have a pension of $500K/yr - none. Again, I don't know for sure but IL is well known for political shenanigans. Not sure Chicago is a good example to use...
Chicago union officials face criminal probe over city pensions - Chicago Tribune
Leave it to Chicago to figure out "triple-dipping" versus "double-dipping".............

In Wisconsin, goverment retirees are taking their pensions, and a fair number are getting "called back" to their old jobs after a 60 day window. Then they are getting hired at the same salaries as before...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Leave it to Chicago to figure out "triple-dipping" versus "double-dipping".............

In Wisconsin, goverment retirees are taking their pensions, and a fair number are getting "called back" to their old jobs after a 60 day window. Then they are getting hired at the same salaries as before...........

Not just triple dipping... but doing it with the same credits

At least all the double dippers I have heard about had two different jobs and time worked was only credited to one at a time...
Old 02-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Are they ANNUALLY getting 5-6% cola's on their pension? Dont they understand the magic ( or destruction) of compound interest? Their pensions would double every 12 years. Im not a pension basher because I am one, but that is outrageous and destructive for everyone including the pensioners.
From reading the article this is what stuck out like a neon sign to me too. 5-6% a YEAR is insane!
Old 02-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

RE - the two-tier system in IL:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Except for the intergenerational squabbles and resentment it may create when new hires are made to feel like "second class citizens" compared to those grandfathered into the sweetheart deals.
At first I was going to somewhat disagree - the new people sign up for deal B, so that's what it is, get over it, time's they are a-changing', etc,. But...

Say person A is hired in 2010, and works alongside person B hired in 2011 for 30 years. Their career is pretty much identical, but person A will retire with much higher benefits than person B. Yes, that will result in some (very justified, IMO) 'class warfare'. Not good, not right. I had not really thought about that scenario down the road.

They really needed to make the changes apply to everyone for benefits calculated from 2011 forward (no change to what you already earned). But they feared they could not get it passed, would not get re-elected, or that it would be challenged against the IL State Constitution.

As a general rule, anytime a 'gate' is put in place, rather than a 'slope', it creates real problems.

-ERD50
Old 02-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude

If I went back into my public career field, my pension would be suspended immediately, until I quit again. Excellent reason to stay retired!
Old 02-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In the Wisconsin case, it sounds llike the re-hires don't earn any additional retirement, and their health care is already covered by the retiree health care plan, so from the district's standpoint they look like an employee with no benefit costs.

Retired teachers return to classroom - JSOnline

Since the state is already on the hook for the retirees' health care and pension costs, it probably makes sense to choose a retired teacher over a new hire whenever you can.

From the article it doesn't sound like these are always people getting the same position as the one they left.

Quote: