Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legalized?
Yes 112 74.17%
No 26 17.22%
Other/Not Sure 13 8.61%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality_of_Apathy View Post
You can't tax it if it's decriminalized, just if it's legalized.
Decriminalization is not to tax, it's to stop prosecuting users.

Quote:
What tax are you going to be able to levee if you still aren't allowed to buy it?
That's what I meant by "license the production". Like alcohol and tobacco, the tax is on the production, not the consumption.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Decriminalization is not to tax, it's to stop prosecuting users.

That's what I meant by "license the production". Like alcohol and tobacco, the tax is on the production, not the consumption.
I think you've just got the terms mixed up. Decriminalization means not criminally prosecuting the users of the product but instead making it a civil offense. This would not allow people to legally sell the product and so how can you license production of a product but then not allow them to sell it?

Legalization means everything from mandating everyone use it to treating it like an over the counter drug with heavy taxes and limits as to who and how much someone can buy.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Tax dollars and jail space....we have our jails full of people who's only crime was against themselves (possesion) and our government spends billions trying to find all those who do possess. Enough!

Our local prosecutor just tried to send a local grower/user (he had a medical prescription) to jail. They spent a ton on this trial and finally they ruled it was his right. The story headline right next to this was surely about budget shortfalls and service cuts!

It is a no brainer......uh.....now.... what were we talking about? I'm hungry!
Old 04-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Tax dollars and jail space....we have our jails full of people who's only crime was against themselves (possesion) and our government spends billions trying to find all those who do possess. Enough!

Again, I'm for legalization. But in regard to your statement that "we have our jails full of people who's only crime was against themselves (possesion)," it must be different out there on the Left Coast. Here in the Chicago area, possesion of small amounts of marijuana seldom results in any jail time. Must be due to a more progressive attitude here in the Flatlands!
Old 04-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I vote yea to decriminalize the use and license the production.
You want to license the production because.....

So the gov't can keep tens of thousands of drug cops employed only now they're busy checking out home gardens, kicking in homeowner's doors looking for the purple glow of grow lamps coming out from closet doors and emptying your freezer checking to see if any of the crop you harvested from a few container plants on the patio is still there?

Legalize it, let folks grow their own (along with tomatoes and other healthy garden plants) but require licensing to sell it for profit. In other words, handle it like homebrewing your own beer and wine....... OK to make it for yourself but you have to be licensed to go commercial.

JMHO. Gov't is intrusive enough already.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Legalize it, let folks grow their own (along with tomatoes and other healthy garden plants) but require licensing to sell it for profit. In other words, handle it like homebrewing your own beer and wine....... OK to make it for yourself but you have to be licensed to go commercial.
Works for me...
Old 04-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

JMHO. Gov't is intrusive enough already.
That would be my preference.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is the criminalization of marijuana the most hypocritical thing the federal government has done? I don't know, but it's interesting that there's a handful of people receiving legal marijuana courtesy of the government:

Madison NORML: 29 years ago today: First legal federal patient Robert Randall testifies at Wisconsin cannabis hearing

I caught something about this when Penn & Teller were having some television special a while ago. That was something.

There's hemp rope, hemp clothing and even hemp milk being made from seeds shipped from wherever (I saw the hemp milk was shipped from Canada). Companies can't even grow it here for profit, even without any intention of smoking it.

Somewhere, someone in a suit and a large office in an official building in D.C. is getting a huge laugh out of this, I can feel it in my funny bone.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is easy - legalize it completely (not just "decriminalize"). Whatever damage the drug does is less than the damage we do by trying to prohibit it.

HOWEVER, this would be a great time to do something sensible that we didn't do with alcohol. When MJ is legal, we should still ban advertising. Prohibition may create lots of problems, but that doesn't mean we have to allow producers to spend huge amounts of money encouraging people to use it.

I'm old enough to have seen public perceptions of tobacco change. I think a major contributor to that is that we told tobacco companies they couldn't push their product on TV.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
This is easy - legalize it completely (not just "decriminalize"). Whatever damage the drug does is less than the damage we do by trying to prohibit it.
I agree. "Decriminalize" means no change to the status quo other than that there will be no more criminal prosecution related to it (perhaps with some exceptions such as sale to minors and such).

If we're going to do that, we might as well also tax it and regulate its sale -- treat it much the same as alcohol, as others have mentioned -- and put some of the drug gangs out of the MJ business. But as I've said, I'd like to see this rolled out (no pun intended) on a small scale, at the state level, just in case the genie needs to remain in the bottle elsewhere.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Current poll results have 73% in favor of legalization. That's dramatically different from the US population opinion. What's going on with an "Early Retirement" forum that makes us so different?

According to Gallup, legalizing is more popular with people who are: young, male, college educated, "liberal", non-religious, democrats, and westerners. I don't think that we have an unusual number of any of those groups on this forum. (Maybe more college grads, but an older average age.)

Any theories?

Who Supports Marijuana Legalization?
Old 04-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #52

Just to clarify my remark above, there would be one significant difference to how we should treat MJ compared to alcohol -- an absolute 100% ban on its usage in ALL public venues. It would only be allowed in private locations which are not "open to the public."
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 04-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Current poll results have 73% in favor of legalization. That's dramatically different from the US population opinion. What's going on with an "Early Retirement" forum that makes us so different?

According to Gallup, legalizing is more popular with people who are: young, male, college educated, "liberal", non-religious, democrats, and westerners. I don't think that we have an unusual number of any of those groups on this forum. (Maybe more college grads, but an older average age.)

Any theories?

I suspect that the folks on this forum are brighter and more rational than the average US citizen,
Old 04-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Any theories?

Who Supports Marijuana Legalization?
I too was surprised by the results of this poll. One thought that comes to mind is many of us are non-conformists as shown by our desire to leave the structured work environment. We don't like people telling us what to do and how to live our lives. I believe many here who support legalization never used pot and wouldn't start if it was legal - they just don't like the idea of goverment interference in the personal lives of people.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I too was surprised by the results of this poll. One thought that comes to mind is many of us are non-conformists as shown by our desire to leave the structured work environment. We don't like people telling us what to do and how to live our lives. I believe many here who support legalization never used pot and wouldn't start if it was legal - they just don't like the idea of goverment interference in the personal lives of people.
I've never touched the stuff in my life -- not even a single puff -- not even in high school and college, and I have no desire to do so. The closest I've ever come to "using" was getting a few whiffs of the smoke at concerts in my younger days.

I suspect our majority "attitude" is simply that we are well-informed adults who feel capable of making our own personal choices AND willing to be held personally responsible for the choices we make. What I find particularly refreshing here is that this seems to go beyond the usual ideological/political lines and people who are often disagreeing about public policy matters are agreeing here.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #56

We'll know for sure, Zig, if a whole bunch of us vanish when E-R.org has the first "online drug test before posting" feature enabled.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I've never touched the stuff in my life...
Yeah, me too...

I don't look at it as a "liberal" issue. To me, it's the quintessential conservative/libertarian issue. Who is the government to tell you what to smoke, who to screw, what to read, whether you can use birth control?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #58

Quote:
I agree. "Decriminalize" means no change to the status quo other than that there will be no more criminal prosecution related to it (perhaps with some exceptions such as sale to minors and such).

If we're going to do that, we might as well also tax it and regulate its sale -- treat it much the same as alcohol, as others have mentioned -- and put some of the drug gangs out of the MJ business. But as I've said, I'd like to see this rolled out (no pun intended) on a small scale, at the state level, just in case the genie needs to remain in the bottle elsewhere.
The intent of "decriminalize" is to separate use or consumption from production and distribution for purposes of this discussion and attempt to establish something all can agree with.

There is no doubt that the consequences of the criminal part of illegal drug trade lead one to favor the all encompassing legalization.

There is a strong and quite legitimate argument to be made that all drug use should be discouraged with maximum effort. Looking back to times when drugs and alcohol were widely available and not unlawful, large numbers of people consumed regularly and they were often used to exploit or control. Our schoolbooks do not record this ugly part of our history but it was quite tragic for many, especially children. The introduction of distilled liquor in the UK had a similar effect - as did opium use in China.

I don't have my terms mixed up. I think we should decriminalize use - stop prosecuting users. Regarding production and distribution, I am not so clear. Alcohol is not decriminalized - we prosecute underage users - its production and distribution is licensed and regulated, but harmful consumption, such as binge drinking, is quite common, and seems to be much greater than controlled or social drinking among the young.

Regarding production and distribution, I have doubts but lean toward permitting but licensing. This hopefully deprives the criminal world from a source of revenue and shuts down one of those "shady areas" where good folk get hurt for making little mistakes. Still, I acknowledge that this part of the discussion is much more challenging.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #59

Quote:
I've never touched the stuff in my life -- not even a single puff -- not even in high school and college, and I have no desire to do so. The closest I've ever come to "using" was getting a few whiffs of the smoke at concerts in my younger days.
Same here. And I have lived in countries where it was legal but I would rather have my tax dollars spent elsewhere.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #60
gone traveling

Quote:
... people who are: young, male, college educated, "liberal", non-religious, democrats, and westerners. I don't think that we have an unusual number of any of those groups on this forum.
...what have you been smoking?