Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legalized?
Yes 112 74.17%
No 26 17.22%
Other/Not Sure 13 8.61%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The classic brownies vs. bong debate

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
"Obama has already called the drug war an "utter failure."

How often have we heard someone say this? And yet I don't remember anyone saying why it is an "utter failure"
um, because it failed? *shrug*

If illegal drug use were rare, if the drugs were hard to find, then one might be able to claim some success. But the fact is that if one merely *wants* to try a drug it can be found without too much effort. Someone you know knows where to find some. When I 'dropped out' of normal society for awhile in the late 80's (divorce) I was utterly amazed at the availability of drugs. Even though I looked rather clean-cut I was regularly approached by people just wanting to share a joint or trade. As far as they knew I was a NARC and yet it happened a lot. I had easy access through several people to pot, pills and speed. An old acquaintance from school turned out to be a mule who made runs to border towns. The list goes on and on.

I see no difference between the current state of things and if we had no war on drugs at all...

Old 07-18-2009, 11:33 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Just an aside on the Salvia issue. It's a mediocre drug, short lived buzz, not much fun. The states getting involved in outlawing it are creating a situation where the kids are going to try it. "If it's illegal, it must be fun!" I can flat out guarantee that if pot was legal or decriminalized NOBODY would be smoking Salvia. It's just not that good. It's like bathtub gin. Nobody kept drinking it once prohibition was over.
I agree that legal pot would decrease any demand for salvia. But that is an apples/oranges comparison. Salvia is more akin to LSD than pot.

Up until this afternoon I would have agreed re: salvia and legalization. Now I'm not so sure. I think the case can be made for making salvia illegal immediately, all ages, period.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:07 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm totally clean living so I have no interest in pot but....

There are countries that have legalized it and have far far less serious crime than the U.S.

Also think of all the OTHER drugs that are legal like prescription drugs and even alcohol...it might be just a drop in the bucket.

And this is coming from someone who dose not even do caffeine!

Jim
Old 07-19-2009, 04:41 AM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I support the legalization of all drugs but not as a store-front buy. I think that these drugs should be on a prescription and that addiction should be considered as a disease warranting treatment, including providing the drug to the addict when other treatment has failed. The drugs necessary should not be highly taxed and should even be subsidized if an addict is in treatment with a medical doctor.

Why? The best way to get drugs off the street is to make them cheaper for people who must have them. The street drug industry depends on new addicts to maintain profits. If one removes any addict created on the street from the future profit pool of street dealers and their suppliers, the amount of street drugs will decline and the number of new addicts should decline.

I am more concerned about the crime and violence created by the underground drug market than I am about any moral consideration. I also understand that people who develop addictions are unlikely to go cold turkey or to visit a rehab center for serious treatment. If treatment is designed to include the possibility that a person might not be able to kick the drug, the society would be better off supplying drugs to this person than allowing the violence and crime to accelerated year by year.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:41 AM   #86

I voted yes. While in college I had to do a paper on my opinion about this very topic. I hate just giving an opinion without some evidence to back it up. When I looked into the damaging chemicals found in marijuana it turned out they were no more harmful than the combination of cigarettes and alcohol. Most people who go out to party also smoke, so they are in fact receiving the same level of harmful chemicals when they go party as they would if they smoked a little grass. something else I learned was as long as your body contains enough THC to test positive, it effects your ability to perform. So with that, standards would have to be developed for driving, operating heavy equipment, and certain career fields would effectively be prohibited from indulging due to the time it takes to clear the body. We wouldn't want the police, doctors, EMT's, or firefighters working under the influence.

The concept of a gateway drug is very flawed. It works up the chain not down. So if you ask people who use coke how many had used marijuana it works, but if you ask how many people who smoked marijuana if they used any harder drugs, it doesn't work out so well. A better example is with cigarettes and marijuana. Every person possessing marijuana I've arrested, also had cigarettes, but not the other way around. Using the concept of "gateway drugs," cigarettes would be a gateway substance to marijuana use.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:00 AM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Lets-retire, interesting stuff. Thanks.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
Most people who go out to party also smoke, so they are in fact receiving the same level of harmful chemicals when they go party as they would if they smoked a little grass.
I would sure like to hear some proof of this particular "most people..." assertion. For example, in Seattle and maybe across the whole state I am not sure, smoking is banned in any public place, including bars and nightclubs. You can't even smoke within 20 or 30 feet of a door or window! I have gone clubbing on and off during most of my life, and even before the ban I would say at most "some people who go out to party also smoke". As well as some people who do not go out "partying".

Be that as it may, I think drug prohibition is stupid and harmful in a typically authoritarian American way.

Ha
Old 07-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I would sure like to hear some proof of this particular "most people..." assertion. For example, in Seattle and maybe across the whole state I am not sure, smoking is banned in any public place, including bars and nightclubs. You can't even smoke within 20 or 30 feet of a door or window! I have gone clubbing on and off during most of my life, and even before the ban I would say at most "some people who go out to party also smoke". As well as some people who do not go out "partying"
I must admit this is based on personal observation. I doubt anybody has done any reasonable, reliable research. In my defense though the personal observations have been conducted in several states (mostly red states) and at several bars in those states. The few places I have gone where smoking was prohibited inside the bar had crowds just as large outside smoking as they had inside not smoking. Since few non-smoker are likely to go outside to enjoy the fresh air of cigarette smoke, but most smokers will go inside to enjoy the entertainment in a smoke free environment, it is easy to say most of the people attending the entertainment smoke at least while indulging in alcoholic beverages.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
... it is easy to say most of the people attending the entertainment smoke at least while indulging in alcoholic beverages.
Also easy to say that the moon is made of green cheese. See, I just said it!
Old 07-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Also easy to say that the moon is made of green cheese. See, I just said it!
Big difference between what you did and what I did. Support your statement with logic or evidence. Otherwise your just attempting to start an argument that has nothing really to do with this thread.