Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Should possession and use of Marijuana be legal for adults?
Yes, it should be legal 230 68.05%
Sort of, only for medicinal use as prescribed by a physician 24 7.10%
No, but the penalty for possession of small amounts should be minor and not involve jail time 40 11.83%
No, throw the book at 'em. 12 3.55%
Yes, but only for small amounts. 32 9.47%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I just read the above article. If MJ is legalized, it may overtake tobacco as the drug of choice. Are there less harmful substances in MJ's smoke than in cigarette smoke?
I don't see how. It's not like cigarettes where you smoke a pack a day. It's more like alcohol, where you might use in the evenings to relax, or use socially at a party with others. Same with the effects - shouldn't operate heavy machinery while under the influence.

Audrey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #142
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Not really. Smoking anything isn't good for you. However, most people smoke 20-50 times as much tobacco in a day. Also, there are neat devices like vaporizers that allow you to inhale the active ingredient without the smoke. Much healthier (works with tobacco too). Of course, the gov't wants to make them illegal. Can't have someone enjoying themselves without harm. What kind of message would that be sending to the kids?
I'll say let's legalize THC gum and drink. Is it any different than nicotine gum and patches, and caffeinated drink?

That is if THC-induced hallucinations are as harmless as people here keep sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley
I do.
I know someone will say that. However, I do not know any of you in person, so still want to reserve my judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley
Btw, you'd better kiss your jelly donut goodbye, too. They're next.
Hell, but of course! National health care costs keep risin', ya know? Those sugar-loaded foods and drinks are bad for people. And bacon too, good grief, promoted right here in this forum.

In order to free people to do what they want, we need also to free ourselves of the obligation to help them out when they screw up. If people want society to help, in this case with medical costs, they need to understand that it comes with strings attached. For example, I have been paying for my kids' college tuition; I demand a passing grade and a minimum course load. No fooling around and partying on my dime! And they could refuse my money any time.

And to be honest with ourselves, we need to repeal mandatory seat belt laws too. Although I always wear my seatbelt, this is a definite case of a person possibly hurting himself and nobody else. We still allow motorcycles, for crying out loud!

Old 12-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don't see how. It's not like cigarettes where you smoke a pack a day. It's more like alcohol, where you might use in the evenings to relax, or use socially at a party with others. Same with the effects - shouldn't operate heavy machinery while under the influence.

Audrey
MJ is still illegal, and using it still carries a stigma. When it is legalized and abundantly available, I do not see how people will not use it more.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
MJ is still illegal, and using it still carries a stigma. When it is legalized and abundantly available, I do not see how people will not use it more.
Alcohol is legal, but most people don't take 20 - 50 shots per day, like they do with addictive tobacco. Pot compares to alcohol, not tobacco.

I accept that more people will smoke pot if it is legalized, but I doubt people who already smoke it will smoke more than they do now. Legality isn't what makes you stop, getting the buzz you want is.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

As I said, I don't care if people get all the buzz they want at home. I just shudder when I think of anyone out there driving with bloodshot eyes.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Audrey
When did you give up on capitalism?

Also, MJ doesn't have a filter and people inhale it deeper and hold it in the lungs longer than cigarettes.
More info here.
Fact Sheet - MARIJUANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Legalization means that the drug could then be sold in stores with increased distribution, lower cost and easier access. Legalization eliminates obstacles currently with it being illegal - fear of breaking the law, not easy to find for the average person, social stigma, etc. With those and similar obstacles removed more people will use it. In addition, over time it would become more socially acceptable.
So there might not be a black Friday rush on it but usage would increase over time. Also, it isn't just the use of the drug alone but when used with others. That is why caffeinated alcohol drinks were outlawed.

All legalization does is increase the problem and move it around from interdiction to cleaning up the dead, injured and impaired after the harm is done.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
But dex, you are arguing about health effects. By that argument, alcohol consumption should be severely restricted as well as certain food. But those restrictions are against the constitution.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
But dex, you are arguing about health effects. By that argument, alcohol consumption should be severely restricted as well as certain food. But those restrictions are against the constitution.
And you are arguing that all negatives or wrongs are equal and perspective and context are not necessary. By that argument you are correct.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
And you are arguing that all negatives or wrongs are equal and perspective and context are not necessary. By that argument you are correct.
But you are judging that MJ is bad because it encourages smoking. If the MJ is put in brownies, it encourages eating.

Yet ingesting MJ in limited quantities has been shown to be beneficial. Most proposed legislation does specify quantities that could be legal. I know as a non-smoker, I would not start smoking just because it was legal. But I might try some brownies if the government decided to let me...
Old 12-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm.

Montana jurors refuse to convict man found with pot

Quote:
“Public opinion, as revealed by the reaction of a substantial portion of the members of the jury called to try the charges … is not supportive of the state’s marijuana law and appeared to prevent any conviction from being obtained simply because an unbiased jury did not appear available under any circumstances,” the plea memorandum filed by his attorney said.
Quote:
“I think it’s going to become increasingly difficult to seat a jury in marijuana cases, at least the ones involving a small amount,” [District Court Judge] Deschamps said.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... Here in AZ, a proposition to allow the use of marijuana for medical purposes (we are behind CA by a few years) also failed, but with a very narrow margin...
Just found out that I was wrong. Proposition 203 allowing medical use of MJ in AZ passed with a margin of 4300 votes out of 1.67 million. Because of this narrow margin, election officials were not sure until several days after the election, and I did not care enough to follow it. AZ is now the 15th state to allow medical use.

Will see what happens.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:14 AM   #152
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
One other difference is that I have never heard of a 'mean pot smoker", but we all know some mean drunks.
YES.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #153
Recycles dryer sheets

All I know is if they legalize it I am buying stock in Blue Bell Ice Cream and any company who makes Brownie Mix...

: )
Old 12-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Old 01-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #155
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Front hugging is also a gateway drug. Stop it now before you too succumb to more risque activities (including but not limited to pre-marital sex and smoking grass and, eventually, angel dust)!

Old 01-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #156
Recycles dryer sheets

I have mixed feelings on the subject.

Somebody, please - give me a sign!

Old 01-14-2011, 05:37 AM   #157
Recycles dryer sheets

every time CNBC plays that piece with Trish Reagan my wife and I always debate the issue. Given how fast my osteoarthritis is progressing, forget racing - training is now almost impossible, I'm tempted to take a trip to Colorado and give it a try.....just as long as there is an effective, non-smoking, delivery mechanism. and DW comes to believe that it wouldn't be a sin...
Old 01-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #158
Recycles dryer sheets

Well...time to fess up. I use the stuff, primarily for medical reasons. I've suffered from migraines for 35+ years, and have tried every drug in the book - both preventative, and for pain relief. I've seen many doctors, including a neurologist whose life work is migraine. Nothing worked. Best I could do, was dose up on Vicodin, suffer from the nausea it induced, and go to bed for 12+ hours. Even then, it didn't eliminate the pain - just masked it enough to keep me from feeling like jumping off a bridge. And, the Vicodin hangover kept me in a semi-daze for 24 hours after the pain was finally gone.

I'd heard anecdotal evidence of pot's pain relief, but truthfully - I never thought in a million years, it would benefit migraine. Rather, I assumed the opposite...being quite familiar with the drug and how it affected me, I was sure it would make it worse.

One day while suffering from an 9/10 monster and being out of Vicodin, I picked up the phone and called an old friend from high school that I knew still used regularly. He came over, and I gave it a try. The result simply blew me away...the pain was 90% gone within 2 minutes, and completely gone shortly thereafter. The only down side I encountered, if one wants to view it as such - the relief only lasts a couple hours, after which more was required. Still - I can function when high. Obviously, I don't leave the house - but I'm not confined to bed, nor suffering from Vicodin induced dry heaves for hours on end.

Now...the above being said, I'm not one of those "medical only" proponents. I'd be lying if I said I didn't also use it recreationally, although nothing like I did in my youth. Perhaps once a month, at most. I'm not going to apologize for my personal choice of occasional relaxation, and the fact that it's now downgraded to a simple infraction in CA and I keep a tiny amount on hand, allows me to speak about it more openly without concern of legal retribution.

Anyway, at the risk of being labeled the resident stoner, here's something I know a bit about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadera View Post
.....just as long as there is an effective, non-smoking, delivery mechanism.
There is. Edibles are mentioned frequently, but they are complete PITA in my opinion. Effects are slow, often more intense, it's expensive, requires tons of prep if doing yourself, and is tough to dose accurately.

I use a small vaporizer - no smoke, no stink, no coughing/gagging, near instant results, and no cleanup. It's extremely discreet. And, regardless of how one feels about the issue itself...using a vaporizer addresses something that's quite relevant to this place. It's by far and away, the most economical means of delivery. It uses 50-75% less material than any other method. This alone, makes the vaporizer pay for itself in very short order - good pot is not cheap, even in CA where it is abundant.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #159
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
There is. Edibles are mentioned frequently, but they are complete PITA in my opinion. Effects are slow, often more intense, it's expensive, requires tons of prep if doing yourself, and is tough to dose accurately.

I use a small vaporizer - no smoke, no stink, no coughing/gagging, near instant results, and no cleanup. It's extremely discreet. And, regardless of how one feels about the issue itself...using a vaporizer addresses something that's quite relevant to this place. It's by far and away, the most economical means of delivery. It uses 50-75% less material than any other method. This alone, makes the vaporizer pay for itself in very short order - good pot is not cheap, even in CA where it is abundant.

Thanks so much for the reply, I'm going to look into it. Bible thumping DW isn't very hot on the idea but that's a whole different story....
Old 01-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

I second the vapes suggestion. But get one soon. The feds are trying to outlaw them, since the concept of having fun without damaging your health is unacceptable.