Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Should possession and use of Marijuana be legal for adults?
Yes, it should be legal 230 68.05%
Sort of, only for medicinal use as prescribed by a physician 24 7.10%
No, but the penalty for possession of small amounts should be minor and not involve jail time 40 11.83%
No, throw the book at 'em. 12 3.55%
Yes, but only for small amounts. 32 9.47%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #162
Give me a forum ...

This blog post has already gone viral but for those who have yet to read it, here are some guidelines on what the new marijuana laws will do in Washington state.

Marijwhatnow? A Guide to Legal Marijuana Use In Seattle | SPD Blotter

Old 02-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #163
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmm, indeed. I believe this is an example of "jury nullification" and it gives one hope for this police state that our country has become. This (below) video of an amazing speech by David Simon (best known for "The Wire") talks about it, if you fast forward to 53:00 or so. He urges jurors in non-violent drug trials to say "I will not be a party to this". For a longer anecdote about the drug war, back up to 48:00 or so. For a ramble about a lot that's wrong with America today, back up to 0:00.

https://vimeo.com/album/1666538/video/29805278
Old 02-20-2013, 07:14 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post
Hmm, indeed. I believe this is an example of "jury nullification" and it gives one hope for this police state that our country has become.
not quite. They couldn't even seat a jury. Sorta like threatened nullification. I was on a civil jury once that came to a mistrial. In questioning by defense lawyers after the trial I mentioned that I was so outraged at the idiot plaintiff for abusing the system that I gladly would have voted to throw her in jail and that if the case had gone to the jury i would have refused to award one thin dime if i had to sit there until hell froze over. The woman refused to walk 50 feet around to the door of her apartment. Instead she ignored orange cones and stepped over a barrier rope to ascend a busted up stairway that was being replaced. She tripped and aggravated an existing bunion. Some of the other jurors were like, "well, she did hurt herself, shouldn't we at least cover her medical expenses?" Insane. At least they may be getting it right on pot.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #165
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The poll in this thread says almost 70% think marijuana should be legal. Most people on this board are a tad older than the avg of the entire population so imagine what the results would be if it was a poll of all voters. What you have to ask yourself is why are the lawmakers not making it legal? They are supposed to be representing their constituents views. They haven't been doing that for a very long time and I'm not only talking about marijuana.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #166

Just reminding folks this is an old thread.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Today was the first time I've seen this thread.

So I voted on the poll.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #168
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
The poll in this thread says almost 70% think marijuana should be legal. Most people on this board are a tad older than the avg of the entire population so imagine what the results would be if it was a poll of all voters.
Yes, and it's been my impression (perhaps mistakenly) that we're more conservative than the entire population because of a lot of retired police and military (since they can mostly retire with a full ride after 20 years service, if I understand correctly).
Quote:
What you have to ask yourself is why are the lawmakers not making it legal? They are supposed to be representing their constituents views. They haven't been doing that for a very long time and I'm not only talking about marijuana.
Yep, I think that's what bad gov't looks like, and it's tiresome. I think it's a lack pf political courage. If a Democrat proposes legalization, he can be attacked from the Right for being "soft on crime" or the like. That's why it's always been my belief that legalization will come from the Right - sort of like Nixon being the one to normalize relations with "Red" China.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #169
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
The poll in this thread says almost 70% think marijuana should be legal. Most people on this board are a tad older than the avg of the entire population so imagine what the results would be if it was a poll of all voters. What you have to ask yourself is why are the lawmakers not making it legal? They are supposed to be representing their constituents views. They haven't been doing that for a very long time and I'm not only talking about marijuana.
Guess what many of the people on this board were smoking from the late sixties to maybe even today ??
Old 02-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Well we should move this over to the travel section now... Just read today Colorado is ramping up for "Weed Tourism". You will be able to buy it and smoke it legally for recreational use. Just make sure you finish the bag before your departure, as they will not let you take it out of state.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #171
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Well we should move this over to the travel section now... Just read today Colorado is ramping up for "Weed Tourism".
The Colorado Department of Tourism has a new ad campaign. Here's a preview:

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
The Colorado Department of Tourism has a new ad campaign. Here's a preview:

Maybe Hotwire and Priceline can develop a triple savings combo package of hotel/flight/weed for the tightwad "weed tourist".
Old 02-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #173
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I suspect a great many jobs depend on it being illegal. Just watch a few episodes of 'Cops' to see the wasted manpower. Most offenders never see any prison time but they still must be processed through the legal system (more jobs).
Old 02-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

When will it be taxed?

For years I have heard that MJ tax would be a boon to the states. Will current MJ smokers in CO, WA, AZ, CA etc be prepared to fork over an additional $50/oz tax?

Will Med/MJ be taxed the same as Rec/MJ?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
When will it be taxed?

For years I have heard that MJ tax would be a boon to the states. Will current MJ smokers in CO, WA, AZ, CA etc be prepared to fork over an additional $50/oz tax?

If I wanted to go back to consuming a whole package of Oreos in one sitting thanks to smoking weed, I would prefer to pay the tax and be legal. But my guess is what income that is gained by the tax will be lost in bureaucracy additions and quality control supervisors.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
When will it be taxed?

These issues are all being worked out in CO as we speak. Add in the complication that the state will also allow the cultivation of up to 6 plants in a secured area. I can already see the massive sales of lockable self contained hydroponic setups.

Many municipalities in CO have already voted to ban recreational weed dispensaries, smoking clubs, etc. A lot remains to be seen.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #177
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I suspect a great many jobs depend on it being illegal. Just watch a few episodes of 'Cops' to see the wasted manpower. Most offenders never see any prison time but they still must be processed through the legal system (more jobs).
Sure, that's another reason - it's a huge industry, not just the cops but also the lawyers. And of course the prisons. Privatized prisons are utterly shameful. And now we actually have those corporations lobbying to keep activities illegal and to lengthen prison sentences (I believe David Simon talks about this in his speech too, linked in post #163 above).

But I think I've figured out a far simpler reason why marijuana remains illegal. Politicians simply do not do anything unless lobbyists tell them to do it - and of course bribe them to do it, using campaign contributions. I suppose NORML has some lobbyists, but I doubt their pockets are very deep.

Most of the money in MJ is made by the traffickers, and I doubt they have any real incentive, perhaps even a disincentive, to legalize. The parallel with Prohibition (of alcohol) and the big crime syndicates that flourished then (Al Capone, etc) is obvious.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #178
Full time employment: Posting here.

For one who has worked in the criminal justice field, from my 30-plus years of experience, before I ER'd, no one I knew (including prosecutors, defense counsel, judges) ever had any incentive or desire to keep MJ illegal. There were enough other more serious crimes being committed daily to keep them all busy. Too busy. (DWLS cases took up more time for many, anyway. Simple MJ possession cases usually seemed ancillary to other crimes/infractions being committed during the same incident.)

If you have not researched the history of how MJ became illegal and a Schedule I substance, Google, consider the history of alcohol prohibition, Nixon's fixation on demonizing war protestors, and then legislators' historic fear of not being re-elected if they suggest the MJ prohibition law be changed. All that is on the verge of a major shift due, I believe, to a younger generation gaining and exercising more political power--a generation with real life experience (including me) who have not been fooled by past propaganda about the MJ boogey-man.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #179
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
... a generation with real life experience (including me) who have not been fooled by past propaganda about the MJ boogey-man.
True. In a summer program for "gifted" (gotta love that term) children in high school, I was earnestly told that marijuana consumption would cause me to grow breasts (I suppose there IS a little evidence that it reduces testosterone, not sure that'd be such a bad thing these days) and that it would make me unable to control my bowels (whatever the #2 version of "incontinence" is called).

Evidently the folks who made up this BS did not learn "the story of the boy who cried wolf".
Old 02-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #180
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post
True. In a summer program for "gifted" (gotta love that term) children in high school, I was earnestly told that marijuana consumption would cause me to grow breasts (I suppose there IS a little evidence that it reduces testosterone, not sure that'd be such a bad thing these days) and that it would make me unable to control my bowels (whatever the #2 version of "incontinence" is called).

Evidently the folks who made up this BS did not learn "the story of the boy who cried wolf".
You obviously didn't watch the movie:\