Poll: legalizing marijuana

Should possession and use of Marijuana be legal for adults?

• Yes, it should be legal

Votes: 229 68.0%
  • Sort of, only for medicinal use as prescribed by a physician

Votes: 24 7.1%
  • No, but the penalty for possession of small amounts should be minor and not involve jail time

Votes: 40 11.9%
  • No, throw the book at 'em.

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Yes, but only for small amounts.

Votes: 32 9.5%

• Total voters

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
So, do you support legalizing marijuana? Does it depend? Let's assume for the poll that legalizing it means legalizing possession for those at least old enough to drink legally in their state. To avoid complications, I am not raising the issue of who can sell dope.

Sorry, the order of the questions isn't the best.

We have had a couple of marijuana polls on this forum. It looks like a significant majority of us have used marijuana in the past, and some continue to do so:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/smoking-marijuana-19755.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/have-you-ever-smoked-marijuana-46441-3.html#post859240

Last edited:
Hey, I missed finding that poll when I searched. I thought I remembered it!

Buncha stoners. Maybe there is a tie in between retiring early and stoking up. Hmm. Laid back, lack of ambition, serious case of couch lock.... Roughly a 3or4x1 ratio between the potheads and the abstemious crowd here.

So how come California couldn't get legalized pot past the voters? Weird. Advertising it on the radio, had a sample of hulled fresh hemp seeds from the health food store the other day (pretty tasty BTW).

Just a little tail twisting here - very aware that it takes some doing to retire early unleess you are retired to Mom's basement couch..

I don't know how I feel about it since I never used it. There is just something that turns me off about setting something on fire and sucking it into my lungs. If it turns you on, have a good time.

For most of my adult life I have been in favor of legalizing weed. I am now bending to the other side. There is just too much stuff floating around these days to intoxicate folks both legally and otherwise. Why open up Pandora's box?

I have never tried pot myself but I do know a few potheads. They seem quite harmless. I say legalize it and treat it like booze.

I'm voting that it should be legalized (at least) for the members of this forum who vote to legalize it :greetings10:

So how come California couldn't get legalized pot past the voters? Weird. Advertising it on the radio, had a sample of hulled fresh hemp seeds from the health food store the other day (pretty tasty BTW).
Methinks the "pro-pot" lobby doesn't have the deep pockets of the alcohol industry, which obviously wouldn't want legal competition for the mind-altering substance dollar.

The next time we run this poll, let's make the voting public and compare that to the previous polls...

I've never smoked pot and wouldn't smoke it even if it were legal, but I do think that any adult should be able to smoke it if they want. If they drive impaired or do something else stupid under the influence -- well, we already have laws to deal with that. I just don't see any real difference between smoking pot and drinking, except that pot is not distributed via a price-gouging system that would grossly violate the antitrust laws if not for the 21st Amendment.

I've never smoked pot and wouldn't smoke it even if it were legal, but I do think that any adult should be able to smoke it if they want. If they drive impaired or do something else stupid under the influence -- well, we already have laws to deal with that. I just don't see any real difference between smoking pot and drinking, except that pot is not distributed via a price-gouging system that would grossly violate the antitrust laws if not for the 21st Amendment.

I've read the same rationale for the legalization of all currently illegal drugs - METH, LSD, Barbiturates, Amphetamines, Ecstasy, Cocaine, crack, PCP etc.

Misuse of alcohol causes death and injury on the roadways so let's add more.

All legalization does is move the problem around from interdiction to cleaning up the dead, injured and impaired after the harm is done.

What he said. Anyone check out beer prices lately?

I've read the same rationale for the legalization of all currently illegal drugs - METH, LSD, Barbiturates, Amphetamines, Ecstasy, Cocaine, crack, PCP etc.

Misuse of alcohol causes death and injury on the roadways so let's add more.

All legalization does is move the problem around from interdiction to cleaning up the dead, injured and impaired after the harm is done.

One could just as easily use this logic to argue that alcohol should be illegal. We've already seen how well that works. I don't see a sudden rush to smoke pot if it were legal. The people who smoke now will continue to smoke; it just won't be illegal.

One could just as easily use this logic to argue that alcohol should be illegal. We've already seen how well that works.

The issue of alcohol is only mentioned because you used it in your rationale. "I just don't see any real difference between smoking pot and drinking ..."

The rationale is not if alcohol should then be outlawed it is that if some bad (alcohol) is OK that more (drugs) is OK too.

I used it to refute the idea that more death and injury is a good idea.

I don't see a sudden rush to smoke pot if it were legal. The people who smoke now will continue to smoke; it just won't be illegal.

Legalization means that the drug could then be sold in stores with increased distribution, lower cost and easier access. Legalization eliminates obstacles currently with it being illegal - fear of breaking the law, not easy to find for the average person, social stigma, etc. With those and similar obstacles removed more people will use it. In addition, over time it would become more socially acceptable.
So there might not be a black Friday rush on it but usage would increase over time. Also, it isn't just the use of the drug alone but when used with others. That is why caffeinated alcohol drinks were outlawed.

All legalization does is increase the problem and move it around from interdiction to cleaning up the dead, injured and impaired after the harm is done.

What he said. Anyone check out beer prices lately?

Oh, wow. Dave was gonna go out and check out the beer and stuff.
Dave? Hey, Dave?

(Knock at door)
Who is it?
- It's me, Dave, man. Open up, I got the stuff.
Who?
- It's, Dave, man. Open up, I think the cops saw me come in here.
(More knocking)
Who is it?
- It's, Dave, man. Will you open up, I got the stuff with me.
Who?
- Dave, man. Open up.
Dave?
- Yeah, Dave. C'mon, man, open up, I think the cops saw me.

Dave's not here.

- No, man, I'm Dave, man.
(More knocking)
- Hey, c'mon, man.
Who is it?
- It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me.
Who?
- Dave, man. Open up.
Dave?
- Yeah, Dave.
Dave's not here.
- What the hell? No, man, I am Dave, man. Will you...
(More knocking)
- C'mon! Open up the door, will you? I got the stuff with me, I think the cops saw me.
Who is it?
- Oh, what the hell is it...c'mon. Open up the door! It's Dave!
Who?
- Dave! D-A-V-E! Will you open up the goddam door!
Dave?
- Yeah, Dave!
Dave?
- Right, man. Dave. Now will you open up the door?
Dave's not here.

I just don't see any real difference between smoking pot and drinking, except that pot is not distributed via a price-gouging system that would grossly violate the antitrust laws if not for the 21st Amendment.
One other difference is that I have never heard of a 'mean pot smoker", but we all know some mean drunks.

On second thought, maybe some of you people who move only in refined circles don't know any of these...

Ha

I knew a person who struggled with cancer, watched them waste away with, suffering from the side effects of chemo messing with their appetite. The weight dropped because of no eating, which seriously weakened them.
Pot helped her, but by the time she gave it a try, there was little time. I am a prude about recreational drugs of any kind whether beer, tobacco, or whatever, but that pot is illegal in her circumstances is WRONG!

Back
Top Bottom