Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What best describes your Myers Briggs and political orientation?
I'm an ***J and a conservative 20 31.25%
I'm an ***P and a conservative 9 14.06%
I'm an ***J and a liberal/progressive 28 43.75%
I'm an ***P and a liberal/progressive 7 10.94%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Myers Briggs and political orientation
Old 02-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poll: Myers Briggs and political orientation

Hi all,

Moderators, feel free to move or delete if you think this post is inappropriate in any way.

The only relation to FIRE and this post is that intercst has discovered that most FIRE types have a particular Myers Briggs personality type. Tenuous, at best.

Poll options are in alphabetical order.

Anyway, please vote in the poll. I'm just curious.

2Cor521

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2009, 11:13 PM   #2

I'm an ***J and don't really feel at home in either the "liberal" or the "conservative" category.On the Political Compass I come out closer to the middle than to any of the edges. I guess that makes me a Muddled Moderate.

What's the M-B personality type that's associated with ER?

Old 02-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
What's the M-B personality type that's associated with ER?
Is There a Retire Early Personality Type?

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I'm one of those And I promise not to let the cat out of the bag.

I suspect the answer to my question explains why ER is kind of unusual. The ER-related Personality Type makes up less than 10% of the population as a whole. Down at the bottom of the linked page the author wonders whether there is a personality type linked to DIY financial planning/management, vs relying on a professional planner. Interesting question.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can never remember my type. I guessed ***J. I thought I did an online test on it a while back but I can't find any results.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #6

My J and P are usually too close to really call it. And I consider myself a libertarian-leaning moderate/independent -- which has usually led me to be disappointed in what our political heroes are doing in terms of my own financial future.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I can never remember my type. I guessed ***J. I thought I did an online test on it a while back but I can't find any results.
there are links to online MBTI tests in the link 2Cor sent me.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
My J and P are usually too close to really call it. And I consider myself a libertarian-leaning moderate/independent -- which has usually led me to be disappointed in what our political heroes are doing in terms of my own financial future.
Me too - tested 94 when back as a temp jobshopper - our 'project team' got tested by a couple of good looking Tulane Phd's.

However - in 1948 my Finn Grandmother from Michigan explained to me I was born Democratic and God would get if I grew up and ever voted Republican - they went to the wrong Lutheran church or something. There is some vague memory of bribery - 1952 genuine Daisy Defender with force feed and peep sight and free Target's - dirty campaign posters of Nixon's face with a caption - would you buy a used car from this man. Republicans on my street got mere Red Ryder's BUT they were allowed to use the 'I like Ike' jungle without getting in trouble.

ok ok now pay attention folks - INTJ like the Early Retirement Forum early survey - one of the groups tending to ER.

And I've covered sex(the blond Phd), politics(Daisy Defender) and religion(Grandma on my Mother's side).

Drugs and rock and roll I'm still working on.

heh heh heh - BTW my BIL think's McCain was a flaming liberal. .
Old 02-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I test as ENFP. Or INFJ.

My politics are independent. For example, I don't want anyone telling me what I can do with my body (left-wing), yet am a fiscal hawk (right-wing).
Old 02-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I come up as an ISTJ most of the time. The descriptors (trustee, inspector) fit me extremely well.

I vote whatever party the candidate I agree with (or dislike least) happens to be in.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm an INFP -- a social justice maverick.

I look at the candidate and the issues. In my area of the world, that usually means deciding between one Democrat and another Democrat.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #12

ISTJ, lefty heh heh heh, just like Uncle Mick

Off topic, but has anyone done the Strengthsfinder test that the Gallup folks have been refining for a few years? I took it as part of their Now, Discover your strengths book, but they have a newer version out now. The results fell well within my ISTJ personality. Interestingly, I am way, way, way positive on J--like nearly 100%, IIRC.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

The older link goes to a 4 question test that was free. Now it's $0.99. Too much to come to a deep understanding of my personality, relationship style, and strengths & weaknesses. Here's a link to a freebie that takes 70 questions or so to get to the same place: Keirsey Temperament Website

I end up ISTJ and my gal is ENTJ - makes us a pretty good team, though her Field Marshal had to learn I wasn't one of her boys. That out of the way, we are pretty much highly effective.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
Administrator

Here's one that is free and you don't have to give them information such as your name and mail.

Personality test based on Jung - Myers-Briggs typology

As usual, I came out an INTJ.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:17 PM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am an INTJ.

Actually,

I = 52% E = 48%
S= 47% N = 53%
T = 72% F = 28%
J = 63% P = 37%
Old 02-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Off topic, but has anyone done the Strengthsfinder test that the Gallup folks have been refining for a few years? I took it as part of their Now, Discover your strengths book, but they have a newer version out now.
Yes -- we did that a few years ago at w*rk. Our manager gave all of his staff a copy of the book and had us take the test. I don't really even recall my results. I printed them our and have them in a Dayrunner I have around here somewhere. If I find it, maybe I'll review the results.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Here's one that is free and you don't have to give them information such as your name and mail.

Personality test based on Jung - Myers-Briggs typology

As usual, I came out an INTJ.
Yep - still left handed, INTJ and weakest on judging(44%).

heh heh heh -
Old 02-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

Off topic, but has anyone done the Strengthsfinder test that the Gallup folks have been refining for a few years?
Yeah, I ran across mine while looking to see if I had Myers Briggs results anywhere. My top five are: input, woo, intellection, relator, arranger. When I saw "woo" I thought wtf? - then why didn't I get lucky more often? But it just means you can entice others into the trouble you want to get into.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I always rated as ISTJ; maybe I should take it again and see if I have changed.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

INTP, or ENTJ, the I and P sometimes change to E and J but the NT always scores high... I love being retired

Fiscal conservative, social moderate... No lefty here

Cool thread