Poll: What percentage tax did you pay?

What % of your total income (line 22) was your total income tax (line 60)?

• 0 to 5%

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • 5% to 10%

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • 10% to 15%

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • 15% to 20%

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • 20% to 25%

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • 25% to 30%

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • 30% to 35%

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • more than 35%

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
20% - Still working, 3 kids, deductions mostly mortgage/ real estate tax related, pays AMT

19.55%. - was still working, standard deductions, married no children.

Last edited:
I did not take the poll as that would "contaminate" the results since I am paying Hong Kong tax. The highest tax rate in HK for individuals only falls within the 15% to 20% range. But it is an informative poll - wonder how it compares to the real numbers for the country as a whole?

- wonder how it compares to the real numbers for the country as a whole?
Glad you asked - your question made me go look, and of course, the answer was right there on the IRS site.
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/06in01tr.xls
Gosh I luvs the internets.

Looks like we are a pretty representative bunch.
The chart shows taxes paid as percentage of income ( calculated two different ways). Percentages are shown for all filers, in addition to the breakdown according to the top marginal rate of the return. I didn't bother finding out exactly what Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) less deficit means. Maybe somebody here knows.
tax percentages.gif

21% according to my software program (like Turbo tax) Lots of dividends (15%) and option cash outs (treated like cap gains -19.5%). Big alimony deduction as well. I estimate when I am in steady state it will be about 17%. Not bad for Canada.

I won't reply either because I'm paying US and Japan taxes...way too much of them both.

R

23 Fed and 6 DC, but next year that will plummet since DW fully ERed.

Back
Top Bottom