Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What will Washington do in the next two years regarding deficit reduction?
Nothing - deficit spending will actually increase, not decrease 19 21.35%
Minor changes will be made but nothing siginificant 58 65.17%
Significant cuts will be enacted 5 5.62%
I don't know but I want to vote in this poll 7 7.87%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
By far, most think only minor changes/cuts will be made and it looks like placing some limits on earmarks may be the first minor "belt tightening" legislation to be enacted. [/URL]
I won't start doing a 'happy dance' until I see the language. I have this horrible feeling it will be effectively something like "Earmarks are strongly discouraged, and should not be placed on bills unless the Senator thinks they are really really important."

Paying back campaign contributors is really, really important.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
An increase in marginal rates will flow through almost entirely because they are on income that is already being reported. I don't see how this relates to the estate tax discussion.
I think you underestimate the ability, desire and flexibility of some people to utilize certain provisions of the tax code. Or simply take their money elsewhere. The higher the tax rates, the more motivated they are. It's a matter of degrees, maybe the degree is insignificant, but it isn't a static situation.

Quote:
Why not put aside the grammar policing and focus on the issues?
Yeah, nit-picky - I was in a little bit of a bad mood. But it does help if a poster actually puts a little effort into their posts. It builds after a while, esp when we just get a link with no content at all. That's a pet peeve of mine. Give me a clue before I click, what are you saying, etc? (that's a general 'you')

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:27 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Oh, and for the four of you who at this point voted you expect 'significant cuts', I offer this as evidence you might be a bit too optimistic

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- When House Democrats return to Washington on Monday, a top priority will be putting a $250 dollar check in the mail to 58 million Social Security recipients.

Democrats plan to vote early in the lame-duck session on a bill that would provide Social Security recipients with a one-time payment, according to the office of Earl Pomeroy, a Democrat from North Dakota who authored the legislation.

The bill -- with a total cost of roughly $14 billion -- is designed to make up for another year without an increase in Social Security benefits.

The republican campaign proposals include making the bush tax cuts permanent for the top 2% of earners at a cost of $700 billion over 10 years. They propose a roll back in the cuts to Medicare Advantage plans at a cost of $500 billion over ten years. They're calling for a roll back of the new tax on high end "Cadillac" insurance plans at a cost of $150 billion over ten years....even a rollback of the cuts in subsidies to the scooter store.
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
even a rollback of the cuts in subsidies to the scooter store.
And they said the campaign contributions were a waste of money! Hah! "Free" scooters for everyone!
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
"Free" scooters for everyone!
I can see it now: NASSR* racing will be all the rage

*National Association for Stock Scooter Racing.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
The republican campaign proposals include making the bush tax cuts permanent for the top 2% of earners
I don't think that's correct keegs. I have an article in front of me that says the Republicans want to make the Bush tax cuts permanent for 100% of the earners, not just the top 2%.

It would be for all of us. Low earners, middle earners, top earners, the whole bunch.