Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

possible limitations to mortgage interest deductions
Old 10-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

possible limitations to mortgage interest deductions

Hi all,
With the upcoming election there is talk of limiting deductions. We have 4 rental properties and I was wondering if this would effect them or if that is considered a business expense.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Take a look at your tax returns from prior years. Your interest on the rental properties should be on Schedule C (line 16), or Schedule E (line 12). The limitations presently being discussed are for personal interest, on Schedule A. Given the logic of the tax code (snort!), extremely unlikely that interest on rental properties and other business purchases would be put on the block. In the unlikely event that such limitations were applied to Schedule E, Schedule C should still be safe--as long as you are deemed to be "in the real estate business."
2017ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think interest on income properties will be considered a business expense. The main talk among the politicians is about the mortgage interest deduction for personal residences.
Not to get political, but the approach seems to be: No politician can, right now, afford the political cost of eliminating popular deductions (mortgage interest, charities, school loans, whatever), even if closing these deductions is accompanied by a reduction in tax rates that leaves most folks at about the same total level of taxation. So, rather than eliminate the deductions, they will be capped: Probably limited to XX% of AGI and then with a hard cap at XX dollars. This type of limitation would likely affect higher income taxpayers more than lower income taxpayers.

We're a long way from any decisions being made on this.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
We're a long way from any decisions being made on this.
FIFY...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

+1 with others. The targeted deduction is mortgage interest on residences (home, vacation, etc.) on Schedule A, and I don't see them expanding the elimination to rental real estate interest reported on Schedule E or business interest reported on Schedule C.

I could see one of two extremes.

First, eliminate Schedule A deductions entirely and make a commensurate increase in the standard deduction and/or reduction of rates so it is revenue neutral for each tax bracket. This would make compliance easier and reduce games playing but the medical, real estate and charitable sectors would scream.

Second and more likely, preserve a handful of major deductions (medical expenses, real estate taxes and interest, state taxes and charitable contributions) along with limitations so the essence would be preserved but compliance would be simplified.

I would prefer the former because it is simpler but I think the latter is more politically viable. (The former would cause me to pay off my mortgage.)
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Theorectumly, the tax code is a steaming pile of mish-mash of crapola, and should be simplified, flattened, etc. IMHO, of course.

But, if a landlord gets a tax break, then I should get one too. After all, I bought a house, and I'm renting it to myself.

A better target is state, local, and real estate tax deductions. Assuming we consider the states as "laboratories of democracy" TM, then states with high taxes, for whatever reason, shouldn't get a federal tax break. After all, the purpose of federal-level taxes is to redistribute wealth reward campaign contributors and lobbyists fund the federal government...

Old 10-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
But, if a landlord gets a tax break, then I should get one too. After all, I bought a house, and I'm renting it to myself.
No problem. But then the rent you pay yourself becomes income. A wash.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I always thought landlords got "tax breaks" because otherwise no one would be one, and people would have no one to rent homes to them.

Certainly no one in my region is a landlord for the joy of it, and profits aren't always easy to come by.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Landlords get the same tax breaks that any other business gets. They declare what they receive in rent as income and get to deduct certain costs of generating that income such as interest, property taxes, maintenance, depreciation just like a manufacturer would get to deduct similar costs of relating to their their plant and financing.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
But, if a landlord gets a tax break, then I should get one too. After all, I bought a house, and I'm renting it to myself. :coolsmiley
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
No problem. But then the rent you pay yourself becomes income. A wash.
And like a renter, you cannot deduct your rent on Schedule A.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Death and taxes...

Old 10-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
gone traveling

I doubt this will go away as long as we have a sub-par housing market.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I am holding my breath awaiting substantial changes in our Fed tax code...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I am holding my breath awaiting substantial changes in our Fed tax code...
Oh, no............................ please don't even think about doing that - we like having you around.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

***preserve a handful of major deductions (medical expenses***

Medical is already gutted - only deductible to the extent that it is over 7.5% of AGI. So if you make, say. $50,000 the FIRST $3,500 in medical is NOT deductible. Gone. Zip.
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
***preserve a handful of major deductions (medical expenses***

Medical is already gutted - only deductible to the extent that it is over 7.5% of AGI. So if you make, say. $50,000 the FIRST $3,500 in medical is NOT deductible. Gone. Zip.
And that 7.5% is going to rise to 10% soon (2013 or 2014, not sure), making it even more difficult to deduct health insurance premiums if you are in the individual market. Those in group plans get to use pretax dollars to pay their part even if they do not itemize. So why can't those of us not in group plans get to do this, too?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
And that 7.5% is going to rise to 10% soon (2013 or 2014, not sure), making it even more difficult to deduct health insurance premiums if you are in the individual market. Those in group plans get to use pretax dollars to pay their part even if they do not itemize. So why can't those of us not in group plans get to do this, too?
Given how much my deductibles and co-pays are, I'd have to have one gigantic pile of medical bills to reach 7.5%...