Join Early Retirement Today

Post office misses payment
Old 08-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Post office misses payment

Post office misses $5.5 billion payment for retirees.... and will miss another one in Sept...

I guess this would mean they are BK....

We need to get Congress out of the postal service...

Congress won
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is a political hot-potato. I suspect that nothing will be done regarding the USPS until after the election.

I do note that other countries have privatized mail service with great success. They also went through all the drama, the moaning, the sky-is-falling stories before things settled down.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I think that this thread could result in an interesting discussion about the level of risk that postal and other government retirees face and what level of preparation for these risks would be sensible for prospective retirees to put in place.

If I was a postal retiree, I'd be pretty worried. And if I was a postal worker, I think a sensible approach would be to build up a bigger nestegg before I'd apply to retire. I'd need some extra money to pay for private health insurance until the PPACA is in effect.

There have been massive numbers of new postal retirees in the past 2-3 years as the post office downsizes. Retirement incentives have encouraged more postal employees to retire, but given this news any further incentives may not be very effective. At least they wouldn't be for me, were I a postal employee considering retirement. Also, I can't imagine how one could handle a change like this in one's second or third year of retirement.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I don't understand why it costs so much for the post offices' benefits. My dad is a mail carrier and his retirement benefits are not that good. His pension will barely cover the $600/mo premium that he'll have to pay for retiree health insurance for him and my mom. It's not like they're getting free health ins. or large pensions. I guess it must be because there are sooo many postal workers.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Just saw that San Bernadino has filed Chapter 9. Shoes keep on dropping. Bleak!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think that this thread could result in an interesting discussion about the level of risk that postal and other government retirees face and what level of preparation for these risks would be sensible for prospective retirees to put in place.

If I was a postal retiree, I'd be pretty worried. And if I was a postal worker, I think a sensible approach would be to build up a bigger nestegg before I'd apply to retire. I'd need some extra money to pay for private health insurance until the PPACA is in effect.

There have been massive numbers of new postal retirees in the past 2-3 years as the post office downsizes. Retirement incentives have encouraged more postal employees to retire, but given this news any further incentives may not be very effective. At least they wouldn't be for me, were I a postal employee considering retirement. Also, I can't imagine how one could handle a change like this in one's second or third year of retirement.

I really do not know anything about the system except what I read in this article... but is seems that the post office was giving the money to the US Treasury... which means it is going to be spent on other things... I would think that the Treasury would be required to pay the benefits when they come due....

If so, then I would think that it might be a bit safer than what we might think... that is as long as the PO pays the money to the Treasury....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
If so, then I would think that it might be a bit safer than what we might think... that is as long as the PO pays the money to the Treasury....
That's the whole point of this saga. The post office missed their payment (defaulted) for their own employee pensions today.

The (yesteryear) USPS model won't work in today's environment without massive subsidies. Major changes are needed to the USPS that just may not be politically easy to accomplish.

There are many articles on this subject that seem to suggest... That if we can't find agreement on how to fix the post office, then there is no hope whatsoever in finding a sustainable long term fiscal solution to our other more pressing probelems.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Several years ago we had quite a bit snow in my area, much more than the usual few inches. Many cities either could not or would not remove the snow from the roads. Side streets were particularly bad, iced up and requiring traction devices. As a result the major private package delivery customers cancelled delivieries, the trash company cancelled pickups, repairmen would not come out to service broken devices, and cable and phone companies would not send out their trucks. One organization alone made its rounds every day - The United States Postal Service. While others moaned and groaned about conditions that made transportation impossible, the USPS delivered and picked up the mail.
Need I say more?

The USPS is supposed to be a private type of agency, but Congress still tells it you can't to this and you must do that - whether they make sense or not. Just see what happens if they try to close a little used post office. . No wonder they are having financila problems.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

My husband is a letter carrier. The Post Office has gone before congress to present plans to close some offices & facilities and ideas for new products and services to generate revenues. But congress won't act until after the election. WORMS! It is very frustrating.
Interestingly, both FedEx and UPS use the post office to deliver the last mile in many rural areas of the country.