Join Early Retirement Today

Potential Estate Tax Details
Old 12-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Potential Estate Tax Details

Some interesting reading on the Senate's version of the estate tax deal:

The 'Death Tax' Is Reborn - WSJ.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Inflation Indexing
Old 12-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Inflation Indexing

Here's the element I was looking for: "Inflation indexing. The $5 million exemption would be indexed for inflation beginning in 2012, which suggests the drafters foresee an extension." Sounds good to me. Depending on inflation, investment results, and my longevity and spending habits, I could bust the five million limit sooner or later.
Ted_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

While I don't agree with the estate tax in general, the fact remains that if they take in less revenue from the estate tax, they will need to impose higher taxes while people are alive one way or another. We already know that the likelihood of the government reducing spending is slim to none at this point, especially with healthcare reform subsidies going into effect in 2014.

This proposal also doesn't help people planning for estate taxes because it sunsets in 2012. As the national debt increases, is it more likely that they will keep the $5M exemption or reduce it to a lower level to take in more taxes? Heirs shouldn't count their chickens before they are hatched, and I think a lot of estate planning attorneys are going to still recommend people plan for lower exemption levels than $5M.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #4

Not a problem I have to deal with. (heh)
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
I think a lot of estate planning attorneys are going to still recommend people plan for lower exemption levels than $5M.
I think estate planning attorneys will always recommend people make plans involving work by estate planning attorneys at high prices to try to skirt laws other attorneys in Congress pass. That how our system works.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #6

One important "detail" is that the $5 million exemption is per individual, so it's $10 per couple, if handled correctly. The "portability" section in this bill supposedly makes it easier for a couple to use the full $10 million.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
One important "detail" is that the $5 million exemption is per individual, so it's $10 per couple, if handled correctly. The "portability" section in this bill supposedly makes it easier for a couple to use the full $10 million.
Lessens the need for an AB trust to avoid losing part of the credit when the spouse is to be the heir. Truly "unifying" the credit is a nice touch as well.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Lessens the need for an AB trust to avoid losing part of the credit when the spouse is to be the heir. Truly "unifying" the credit is a nice touch as well.
It also allows someone to give away a substantial amount of real estate while they're still living at present values instead of upon death at likely higher future values. Still, I'd be surprised to continue seeing the exemption level at $5M+ per person for the long term.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #9

It seems like for tax planning purposes, 2 yrs. is the long term these days.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

From the article:

Quote:
The Senate's bill makes this regime effective only for 2011 and 2012. At that point the provisions "sunset," and if Congress doesn't act, the 2013 top rate would again be 55% and the exemption $1 million per individual. So that may mean more estate-tax drama two years from now.
Enough temporary laws that sunset already! Fix it ONCE and leave it alone. Doesn't matter whether it's income tax rates, the estate tax or the AMT. I think uncertainty about future tax policy is preventing a lot of productive investing whether it's individuals or businesses -- with bad results for both the economy and the Treasury.

When no one feels confident about long-term commitments of capital because of how changes in tax policy might affect it in the future, you know there's a problem.

Fix it ONCE. Get it right. Make it permanent and stop these "kick the can" games where we have another "crisis" in a couple years. Frankly I think all the tug of war over income tax rates is more damaging to the economy than setting it once and leaving it alone for a long, long time.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
It seems like for tax planning purposes, 2 yrs. is the long term these days.

I think it's important that the rules change regularly. If they don't, attorneys, CPA's and other professionals involved in estate planning might not have zillions of clients running in for help in responding to the latest changes.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Fix it ONCE. Get it right. Make it permanent.

You are sooooo funny Zig! Gawd, I slid right off my chair laughing when I read this........!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

You are sooooo funny Zig! Gawd, I slid right off my chair laughing when I read this........!
Yeah, I know. But it's really frustrating that these clowns can't seem to understand how much economic damage the constant uncertainty about future tax policy is causing. Unless, of course, they receive campaign contributions from CPAs and tax lawyers, in which case they understand but don't care...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Yeah, I know. But it's really frustrating that these clowns can't seem to understand how much economic damage the constant uncertainty about future tax policy is causing. Unless, of course, they receive campaign contributions from CPAs and tax lawyers, in which case they understand but don't care...
There's that cause and effect relationship again...
Old 12-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ziggy stop being a Grinch. Didn't you know that we have almost 10% unemployment? If we didn't have Congress constantly fiddling with tax code, we'd have lots of unemployed CPA, and lawyers, and don't forget lobbyist.

Taking the side of Congress since 1901
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote