Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Sad Story
Old 02-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sad Story

Sad, sad story. The subject of the story who died last week was my childhood best friend. Seems like such an unnecessary death.

http://thelipstickchronicles.typepad.com/the_lipstick_chronicles/2011/02/the-least-of-us.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Really sad to read and so unnecessary.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:59 AM   #3

Sorry to read this Katsmeow. This story, plus the many cases I know of, are the main reason why I am a huge supporter of Obamacare.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:13 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry to hear of your friend's death. It was a sad case.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:20 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

very sorry for your loss.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:58 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Seems like such an unnecessary death.
It was unnecessary. We can do better than this.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Kats - sorry to hear about your friend. I have felt for a long time that we have to do better with health insurance.

We lost a friend unexpectedly 17 years ago. Mother of 3, her husband had MS and was bedridden. She stayed home to care for him. She was afraid to put him in the state-funded nursing home, as she worried she would lose the modest house they had and she still had 2 children living at home and a mortgage she could barely pay. She certainly could not afford health insurance for herself (and that was 17 years ago....)

She lost weight and was tired, but who wouldnt be doing what she was doing. She told everyone she was fine. When she finally went to the hospital, the doctor's asked her how and why she waited so long. She said it was because she could not afford to go to a doctor and/or medical care. She died 2 days later of breast cancer. Looking back, everyone agrees she must have known for at least 6 months, probably more. She knew and had just given up.

Two years ago I went with my sister to see her doctor when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. First thing I noticed was the big sign in his office that said if you didnt have health insurance, you had to pay for your visit upfront. I notice those signs more and more now.

I dont expect doctors or the medical community to work for free. I also believe insurance companies need to make a profit - otherwise why would they be in business. But we have to do better as a country to ensure medical rates and insurance rates are reasonable and fair for all. No one should die for the reasons these women did.

Again - my sympathies for your loss.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Sad story, but why chose death over a potential bad credit rating? She would NOT have been refused treatment at any ER I know of in the US........that part seems totally unnecessary........

I doubt Obamacare would have guaranteed she was still alive, she seemed quite depressed about her llife in general........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 02-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

It is a sad story, and of course we need changes to our health care system. However, I find it offensive that they use this sad case to paint anyone who doesn't feel that 'ObamaCare' is the best/only solution as some kind of heartless monster.

I also question (but have not researched) some of the statements in there. Would she have really lost her house (often, that is protected)? And could she have got insurance? How much would it have been?

I know personally of people who didn't buy insurance, and they certainly could have, and then have a sob story to tell. I have personally heard people say they "can't get insurance", but when I ask, I find they never actually tried. They just assumed they can't because they are not getting it from their employer (or are between jobs). I got insurance for my son after he graduated, was off our policy and the first job he found didn't provide health insurance. The policy was $50 a month. No one lost their house. He went to the doctor when he needed to (a high deductible policy, pay the small stuff out of pocket, just like insurance should be structured for most of us).

I'm also offended by their twist of the Declaration Of Independence. "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" is not guaranteed to anyone regardless of which career or life choices they make. It means they are free to make the choices. If that was true regardless, I would have been a failed rock star, and should still expect to live the good life. Many of us chose careers that would provide for our needs, even if it wasn't our first choice of what we wanted to do. I don't think society could function if we were all starving artists.

But I am sorry for your loss.

-ERD50
Old 02-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Sad story, but why chose death over a potential bad credit rating? She would NOT have been refused treatment at any ER I know of in the US........that part seems totally unnecessary........

I doubt Obamacare would have guaranteed she was still alive, she seemed quite depressed about her life in general........

Until you have been poor it is hard to understand why someone would not just goto the ER and receive the so called free treatment. The free treatment rendered at the ER I have visited is not worth having but the real answer is a matter of human pride.

I have a friend from my Bible study that is dying of cancer in his late 40s. They are so poor now from all the costs that they have even lost their car and his wife and child are dependent upon others to take them to see him in the hospital that is 30 miles away. His treatment may soon end as they may not be able to keep up the insurance payments on top of the bills without more help. I did not know any of the above until this mornings Bible study when the leader passed this on from his pastor.

This is not statement for or against the Health care law or whatever name you chose to call it. Each case is different and we seldom get all the facts but do seem to always get the bias from every side. We all need to better understand the situation so that we are not caught by it one day also.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Katsmeow, I am sorry for your loss.

Ha
Old 02-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I to am sorry for your loss...

but also agree with FinanceDude and ERD50 that this is a tool to try and defend the healthcare law...

I also find offensive the statement in the article...

"And, in a week when some talentless idiot like Charlie Sheen blows his $2 million/week salary on coke and hookers and ends up in the hospital, is it fair that Melissa Hall should lie suffering and in pain in the home she was afraid of losing by risking a trip to the emergency room?"

What the heck has Charlie Sheen blowing his money have to do with this case... I can say 'If everybody in America did not blow their money on a Starbucks everyday, Melissa Hall would not have to lie suffering and in pain...".... but it is not Charlies job to cover everybody... and it is also not everybodys job to live a life like a monk so everybody has health insurance...

Again, sorry to read about her....
Old 02-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #13

That's an awful story Katsmeow - I'm very sorry to hear about this.

It's unconscionable that in a country as wealthy as ours that this sort of thing happens. We're doing pretty well with our infrastructure and economy, but our lack of comprehensive healthcare is a failing, in my opinion.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I also am very sorry for your loss, Kats. Were you close to her after childhood too?

I have some creative friends who scrabble together a living doing a little this and a little that. I don't know if they have insurance but I know they have made a choice to live a lifestyle that may not support all their needs. Your friend sounds like she really enjoyed her life--she could have worked somewhere that provided insurance but instead she followed her dreams.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #15

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
The free treatment rendered at the ER I have visited is not worth having but the real answer is a matter of human pride.

That's an interesting comment fisherman. If the treatment is not worth having, I like to hear your "better solution" for those who need urgent care.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I am so sorry for your loss.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I also find offensive the statement in the article...

"And, in a week when some talentless idiot like Charlie Sheen blows his $2 million/week salary on coke and hookers and ends up in the hospital, is it fair that Melissa Hall should lie suffering and in pain in the home she was afraid of losing by risking a trip to the emergency room?"

What the heck has Charlie Sheen blowing his money have to do with this case... I can say 'If everybody in America did not blow their money on a Starbucks everyday, Melissa Hall would not have to lie suffering and in pain...".... but it is not Charlies job to cover everybody
I noticed that and thought the same thing too, but disregarded it as not being a relevant point.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm so very sorry for your loss, no one should ever die because they lack health insurance, or are afraid of the cost.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

For the record, I have no opinion about someone based on whether they support or dont support ObamaCare.

I do think had my friend gone to the ER earlier, she would have received some form of treatment. But - I am pretty confident she would also been referred to an oncologist and then she would have had to go through finding someone to take her without insurance etc, etc.

Pride is a funny thing. My friend did not choose her path. Both she and her husband worked full-time, saved enough to buy a small house, and were happily raising 3 kids. They were not frivolous with their money. When he came down with MS, he didnt go out on disability. He went to work every day - in a wheelchair at the end. She also went to work. It wasnt until he could no longer get out of bed that he had to take disability. Bad s--- happens to good people some times. We talked insurance once and she had managed to get her kids covered in some state program - but she was not eligible and could not afford what was offered to her. Maybe she could and chose not to - I dont know. But I doubt it.

I think it is great that ERD50's son got health insurance for $50/mo. My son (26) pays $228 mo. Prices vary by age, state, and health history. I would caution anyone who assumes that just because they can get something that everyone else can.

I certainly didnt mean for my post to start a firestorm (as I am sure Kats didnt). I do know that I am passionate, maybe overly so, about health care. I used to be very unaware of the struggles many face, because I was healthy and had a job. It wasn't until DD was diagnosed with Type I diabetes that I started to fully understand how expensive things can be and how incredibly difficult it must be for people not as fortunate as I. Have some of those people chosen that path? Absolutley. But many haven't. And I think it is so sad when good people feel so defeated in life that would prefer to die. Yes - I think my friend fell into that category. Was is due solely to the health care system? Probably not. But I know it sure didn't help.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

I have some creative friends who scrabble together a living doing a little this and a little that. I don't know if they have insurance but I know they have made a choice to live a lifestyle that may not support all their needs. Your friend sounds like she really enjoyed her life--she could have worked somewhere that provided insurance but instead she followed her dreams.
I have a friend like that too BWE. A brilliant (Mensa, etc.) man who seems to thrive marching to the beat of his own drum and avoiding any confining links to careers or owning "stuff." We were room mates in college in the 60's and have always kept in touch. He supports himself with contract work as a tech writer and seems to always come up with a good paying job for a few months when he needs it living here and there. He's an absolute ace at collecting gov't benefits and clever at securing inexpensive but nice places to live.

He mocks me to having spent my life working in factories and making sure I always had a decent benefit package to protect the family. (He's single, of course.) This involved frequently doing things that weren't my first choice of how to spend my time and my life.

I certainly don't begrudge him help when he doesn't feel like working. But the idea of paying higher taxes to provide him with subsidized or free health insurance while some of us have sacrificed big time to make sure we had it does give me pause. I know it's the right thing to do. And while I was working it never bothered me to pay higher taxes so that a portion could be used to help others. But now that I can no longer work, it's a bit scary to see that we "savers" are going to be responsible for others who choose to walk their own walk.

Still, how can we differentiate between those who truly need help and those who simply take life paths that expose themselves to risks while thinking our work-a-day mentality is silly?

Kat - my sympathy regarding your loss of a friend. Those are tough moments.