Join Early Retirement Today

SEC charges Illinois with securities fraud
Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

SEC charges Illinois with securities fraud

And it relates to their pension system. Apparently, they did not disclose information relating to underfunded pensions to bond buyers.

Interestingly, in the two cases where the SEC went after a state, it had to do with pension funding.

SEC Charges Illinois Over Pension Funding - WSJ.com
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anfd it figures, Illinois would be one of the states
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was told this morning that the SEC does not make public information about their charges. If true, that means it was leaked from Illinois.

That dovetails with their current push against pensions.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I was told this morning that the SEC does not make public information about their charges. If true, that means it was leaked from Illinois.

Since the link did not get me the article, I looked it up...

Seems you were told wrong... from the SEC...

SEC Charges Illinois for Misleading Pension Disclosures; 2013-37; March 11, 2013
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

SEC Charges Illinois for Misleading Pension Disclosures; 2013-37; March 11, 2013
OK, thanks. Regardless, these guys are gonna whack me (and many I know) in the face

Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Administrator

From the linked article

Quote:
According to the SEC’s order, Illinois took multiple steps beginning in 2009 to correct process deficiencies and enhance its pension disclosures. The state issued significantly improved disclosures in the pension section of its bond offering documents, retained disclosure counsel, and instituted written policies and procedures as well as implemented disclosure controls and training programs. The state designated a disclosure committee to assemble and evaluate pension disclosures. In reaching a settlement, the Commission considered these and other remedial acts by Illinois and its cooperation with SEC staff during the investigation. Without admitting or denying the findings, Illinois consented to the SEC’s order to cease and desist from committing or causing any violations of Sections 17(a)(2) and 17(a)(3) of the Securities Act of 1933.
So, a stern finger wagging given, deficiencies corrected, case closed, nothing more to worry about.

Consent decree: I do not admit to doing anything wrong, but I promise not to do it again. No matter how hard I tried, this never worked for me.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, thanks. Regardless, these guys are gonna whack me (and many I know) in the face
I thought the mob usually went for the kneecaps, not the face. Guess times have changed...
Old 03-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:

So this makes me curious steelyman - who told you this? I guess I'm just wondering if there is a tie-in with the phrase 'their current push against pensions'? I wouldn't describe anything going on as a 'push against pensions', but IL certainly has a budget problem, and a hugely underfunded pension system. Something has to give.

edit/add: I'm also curious about something else - what are IL bonds currently going for?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
From the linked article

So, a stern finger wagging given, deficiencies corrected, case closed, nothing more to worry about.

Consent decree: I do not admit to doing anything wrong, but I promise not to do it again. No matter how hard I tried, this never worked for me.
... not much help for current retirees, though.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
... not much help for current retirees, though.
I do not see any impact to any current or future retirees. The Illinois pension fund shortfall has been well documented for many years, certainly not a surprise to investors.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

So this makes me curious steelyman - who told you this? I guess I'm just wondering if there is a tie-in with the phrase 'their current push against pensions'? I wouldn't describe anything going on as a 'push against pensions', but IL certainly has a budget problem, and a hugely underfunded pension system. Something has to give.

edit/add: I'm also curious about something else - what are IL bonds currently going for?

-ERD50
This could get too inflammatory. It doesn't matter who told me, but they used to work for Congress. We in the state pension system just need to figure out how to adjust our plans.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I do not see any impact to any current or future retirees. The Illinois pension fund shortfall has been well documented for many years, certainly not a surprise to investors.
It's not investors I am talking about, but benefits for retirees. Agreed, though, the topic is really about investors.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thinking about it... this was the final outcome and not a charge... so maybe your info was correct... who knows when they were first charged....

This also has nothing to do with fixing the problem.... the SEC just wants to make sure they disclose the information to investors... as long as they know, everything is OK.....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
gone traveling

I thought just about ALL states were underfunded for pensions-most cities also.
It's a time bomb.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
I thought just about ALL states were underfunded for pensions-most cities also.
It's a time bomb.
Yes most are. Illinois is just in worse shape than pretty much every one else. But they lied to bond rating agencies, analysts etc. about how bad the problem was with the pension obligation.

It seems to me one of the ironies is that probably most of the investor in IL muni bonds are in fact fairly wealth Illinois residents. So they get hit with a double whammy the bonds they bought credit rating has sunk, lowering their value. Plus they are going to have to pay higher taxes to bail out the underfunded pensions.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So what does this mean for those who live in Illinois ? More taxes ?
Quote:

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
So what does this mean for those who live in Illinois ? More taxes ?
We recently had a 67% increase in IL Income Tax. Could be more coming.

There are still some huge budget issues and long-term liabilities. And politicians can't seem to learn to keep their hands off money that is not theirs. They just had the case against Jesse Jr and his wife, now Beavers is on trial, and a string of governors who have been sentenced. Not a pretty picture.

-ERD50
Old 03-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I think this is symptomatic of a history of making benefit promises that could only be met by plugging in investment returns which are not realistic over the long term. When you require a return of 8% or more in an environment that has returned a lot less than 8% over a prolonged period of time, the pressure to take unacceptable risks (this is a pension fund, not a billionaire's "play money" stash) leads to things like this (and other shenanigans).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Bring back Blago! He can sell off various state positions to the highest bidder and you can use the money to beef up the pension funds. Problem solved.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I think this is symptomatic of a history of making benefit promises that could only be met by plugging in investment returns which are not realistic over the long term. When you require a return of 8% or more in an environment that has returned a lot less than 8% over a prolonged period of time, the pressure to take unacceptable risks (this is a pension fund, not a billionaire's "play money" stash) leads to things like this (and other shenanigans).
That is part of the problem, no doubt. But I think IL has created a whole slew of problems on it's own, and that might even be a small part of the pie.

-ERD50

Tags
wsj sec illinois pension