Join Early Retirement Today

So Who Are The 1%?
Old 10-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

So Who Are The 1%?

With all of the hubbub concerning the Occupy Wall Street movement, I was curious about who the 1% really is...

I found this article which, I thought, put the 1% into a fascinating perspective. As you can imagine, there's a huge disparity within the top 1% of US wealth holders.

While many of us fall into the bottom half of the top 1%... the top half and even top tenth is where the serious wealth is.

I found it interesting that the author reaffirmed that the bottom half of the top 1% (while considered "wealthy" by many) is simply the effective minimum net worth required for retirement.

Who Rules America: An Investment Manager's View on the Top 1%
Seeking Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Administrator

I think this belongs in the politics forum...
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

This article has already been discussed here:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...cle-58261.html
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
This article has already been discussed here:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...cle-58261.html
Yikes... sorry... I missed it...

Feel free to delete...
Seeking Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Who the hell cares?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So it only takes $1.2MM of investable assets to make it into the top 1% and only $1.8MM for the top 0.5% ?

As mentioned in the article that sure won't sustain a "wealthy" lifestyle very long.

I wonder about those figures.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
So it only takes $1.2MM of investable assets to make it into the top 1% and only $1.8MM for the top 0.5% ?

As mentioned in the article that sure won't sustain a "wealthy" lifestyle very long.

$1,200,000 in investable assets AND $300K-$400K annual income, according to the article. Sure, I would guess that many retirees have that much in investable assets, but I wonder how many meet (or met) the income requirements listed. I never did.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I agree. There seems to be huge misunderstandings in regard to where the money is or who is "wealthy." One POV expressed by politicians and echo'd in the media says that an individual making over $200k or a married couple making over $250k combined is wealthy and deserves to pay higher taxes. Another goes after "millionaires" and makes no attempt to differentiate between a million bux as annual income or a million bux in net worth. There's confusion between Warren Buffet's jaw flapping about the extremely wealthly and plans named after Buffet that go after folks with a tiny, tiny fraction of Buffet's wealth.

I hope that when election time comes around, the competiting candidates discuss their concept of "wealth" in some dollars and cents detail that omits the vargaries, emotionalism and subjectivity that's going around today.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I must have missed it the first go-round I guess. Interesting perspective.

Quote:
Assuming that the lower end of the top 1% has, say, $1.2M in investment assets, their retirement income will be about $50k per year plus maybe $30k-$40k from Social Security, so let's say $90k per year pre-tax and $75-$80k post-tax if they wish to plan for 30 years of withdrawals.
Sounds like many, many postings here.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Hobbes View Post
Yikes... sorry... I missed it...

Feel free to delete...
Not your fault. People need to use better thread titles than "Interesting Article".
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I hope that when election time comes around, the competing candidates discuss their concept of "wealth" in some dollars and cents detail that omits the vagaries, emotionalism and subjectivity that's going around today.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #12

Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To add some statistics regarding income, take a look at the above link. It's a little old, but the #'s aren't changed too much. In 2005, earning over $100k put you in the 85th percentile of Americans.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:56 AM   #13

Thank you for sharing. I found this quote fascinating: "Recently, I spoke with a younger client who retired from a major investment bank in her early thirties, net worth around $8M. (...) Since I knew she held a critical view of investment banking, I asked if her colleagues talked about or understood how much damage was created in the broader economy from their activities. Her answer was that no one talks about it in public but almost all understood and were unbelievably cynical, hoping to exit the system when they became rich enough." (emphasis mine)
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:12 AM   #14

Yes. I guess, like many of you, I am in the top 1% and I feel guilty about it while reading this article.
Quote:
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:22 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Yes. I guess, like many of you, I am in the top 1% and I feel guilty about it while reading this article.
I hope it was only while you were reading the article... and then you got over it.

There is no reason to feel guilty about going to school, working hard, sacrificing when you were younger to allow you to make money and earn a good living.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:48 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
There is no reason to feel guilty about going to school, working hard, sacrificing when you were younger to allow you to make money and earn a good living.
Exactly.

If you've laid the foundation and had a bit of luck (always a component, IMHO) along the way, there is no reason to feel guilty.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:04 AM   #17

Never, ever, ever, should you feel guilty about your wealth (unless you stole it from a bank). I feel that I worked my tail off to get where I can enjoy the fruits of my labor. Nothing was given to me and I give/gave more than my fair share to Uncle Sam along the way. I give back in a variety of other ways, both in time and financially. I do this because it gives me piece of mind and because its the right thing to do. But feel guitly about my wealth? Not one iotta!
Old 10-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #18

The $1.2 million may be the threshold for the top 1% when you look at all ages, but for working people financial wealth is heavily skewed by age.

This source says that it took $1.4 million to make the top 10% in 2004, if you were in the 60-69 age group.

Your free financial report card - MSN Money
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Bite your tongue (hard).

Anyone who has done well had a solid helping of good luck, no doubt.

That said, why on earth would you feel guilty? Most of us who were not handed a pile of money on a platter worked hard for it and had to produce something of value to society to get where we are. You may feel that you have a moral obligation to help your fellow human beings, but you should not feel guilty for working hard and being successful.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

The article's link title, "Who Rules America," and the heading at the top of the webpage, "Power in America," led me to believe the article would be about how the top 1 percent directly influences our society from all angles. But "the 99th to 99.5th percentiles largely include physicians, attorneys, upper middle management, and small business people who have done well." These are typically not people who have the ear of people in politics, megacorps boards, etc., and the column's author goes on to say, "freedom from financial worry or access to the true corridors of power and money.... doesn't become frequent until we reach the top 0.1%."

So he's really only talking about that tiny subset when he says, "A highly complex set of laws and exemptions from laws and taxes has been put in place by those in the uppermost reaches of the U.S. financial system. It allows them to protect and increase their wealth and significantly affect the U.S. political and legislative processes. They have real power and real wealth."

So what else is new.