Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Study - Republican change to Medicare will force 54 y.o. to build up $182K!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
gone traveling

Study - Republican change to Medicare will force 54 y.o. to build up $182K!

Under 55 Year Olds: Find $182,000 Before You Retire to Pay for the GOP Plan to End Medicare | Press Releases | Committee on Education and the Workforce, Democrats

I guess this means that if the American people don't throw the Republicans out, FIRE would get delayed quite a few years.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll give this thread 12 hours before Porky shows up.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It's really just the Ryan-Rivlin Plan. We covered this one over here...

Ryan-Rivlin Plan for Medicare & Medicaid Reform
Old 05-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wouldn't the offshoot be if the plan isn't adopted then taxpayers will need to pay $182K for every 55 year old?
Old 05-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #5

BTW, the CBO assumes that Ryan's plan will be less effective in holding down health costs ( I didn't realize medicare held down costs, I thought that was the problem?).
So they are projecting even higher health care costs, then if we stay on medicare.

The second thing they said, is that it puts more burden on the beneficiary.
Well duh! I think that's the point.
TJ
Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'll give this thread 12 hours before Porky shows up.
Hope springs eternal. And this undoubtedly effects many ER hopefuls here.

As an Independent, I have to ask - so what is the D's plan? Ok, I got this....

Quote:
“Congress needs to make sure Medicare is sustainable for seniors in the future and sustainable for taxpayers. We took a substantial step towards this goal through the Affordable Care Act,” said Miller.
Can someone explain how the "Affordable Care Act" helps make Medicare sustainable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
Wouldn't the offshoot be if the plan isn't adopted then taxpayers will need to pay $182K for every 55 year old?
That's how I see it. Seems like a shell game to claim otherwise. The money must come from somewhere. But maybe the OP can explain.

-ERD50
Old 05-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #7

What's the alternative ?

National bankruptcy ?

In my view medicare just has to change. And those changes aren't going to be for the better.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
I'm ready. I've paid a total of just over $245K into Medicare.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Can someone explain how the "Affordable Care Act" helps make Medicare sustainable?

-ERD50
And if Obamacare is so good, why don't we add seniors to it as well...I'm just hoping to get to 55 before any law takes affect.
TJ
Old 05-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
Under 55 Year Olds: Find $182,000 Before You Retire to Pay for the GOP Plan to End Medicare | Press Releases | Committee on Education and the Workforce, Democrats

I guess this means that if the American people don't throw the Republicans out, FIRE would get delayed quite a few years.
Whatever...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 05-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
gone traveling

Makes me glad that I/DW are not under age 55 ...

It's good to be old (and closer to the grave ).
Old 05-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #12
Confused about dryer sheets

"so what is the D's plan?"

Fearmonger; deny there's a problem; blame Republicans when the problem implodes; continue to convince legions of uninformed, naive Americans to vote Democrat; continue to redistribute taxpayer funds into their own pockets and those of their cronies; and continue to pile lie upon lie upon lie upon lie...
Old 05-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
The idea is that with a central bureaucracy developing best practices guidelines, everyone will be able to practice thrifty medicine. Also, there will be a controlled way of implementing the inevitable rationing that will have to take place. The Ryan plan does nothing to implement these guidelines, and simply cuts out the funding so that folks who don't have the cash will have to buy plans that are self-rationing in some way, all the way blowing extra cash for the profit for the insurance companies.

Can you imagine the train wreck that would be? Someone with a voucher but with no extra cash would be forced to by a plan that would limit care, and once that person has a life or death condition that would not be covered under than limited plan, he would just be left to DIE.

Current seniors understand this - that's why they are not buying into the Republican's cynical divide and conquer strategy, since they don't want their children to be left w/o Medicare as we know it.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
What's the alternative ?

National bankruptcy ?
How about Eisenhower era confiscatory taxes on the wealthy? (My inner Marxist is starting to show. )
Old 05-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR101

Fearmonger; deny there's a problem; blame Republicans when the problem implodes; continue to convince legions of uninformed, naive Americans to vote Democrat; continue to redistribute taxpayer funds into their own pockets and those of their cronies; and continue to pile lie upon lie upon lie upon lie...
Glad we straightened that out...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #16
Confused about dryer sheets

"How about Eisenhower era confiscatory taxes on the wealthy?"

Talk about a "cynical divide and conquer strategy." Never mind that it won't work.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR101 View Post

Well then, with both parties using the same plan, we're set!
Old 05-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
/snip/

Current seniors understand this - that's why they are not buying into the Republican's cynical divide and conquer strategy, since they don't want their children to be left w/o Medicare as we know it.
Let me help out a bit in the 12 hour prediction....

There is NO WAY the children will have medicare as we know it today.... period... The dems say that, the repubs say that... now all they have to do it convice the taxpayers that think we can of that...
Old 05-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

-ERD50

Sure... didn't you hear that they are going to cut medicare by $200 billion It is in the act....
Old 05-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, and a big welcome to the Retire Early Campfire crowd coming over from the Motley Fool!