Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Tax Cuts Extended to All Americans
Old 12-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tax Cuts Extended to All Americans

Obama, GOP reach deal to extend tax cuts - Yahoo! Finance=

I guess this is not quite a done deal, but I would think it looks good.

As a retiree I probably would not ever be affected by higher taxes over $200,000 income(excluding bracket creep). Still I do not like to see any more of this, "sure tax that other b-st*rd and spend it on me", than we already have. I hope the next revenue plan will be a VAT.

I put this in politics since I wouldn't want of the easily shocked members to be upset.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Like any legislation, not perfect, but a start. If it works out, the 2 years might stretch further. Looks like extending unemployment benefits was the only way to get the Dems on board, but you gotta give to get sometimes.

Perhaps Obama didn't want to be the first President in a long time to raise taxes coming out of a recession?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 12-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

If this passes per the proposal, this is good news for me. They are proposing a 2% reduction in SS payroll taxes. That will be over $2000 extra take home pay for our family, plus the $3000+ that extending the Bush tax cuts continues to save us.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

not for the extension in unemployment benefits but it appears to have been trading fodder
Old 12-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Sure looks like we'll hit the national debt ceiling sooner, rather than later now. Probably late March.

That'll make for some highly entertaining finger pointing.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Are these "tax cuts" or "tax deferrals"? Since they increase the deficit, won't we end up paying for them eventually through higher taxes to fund the interest on all the money we're borrowing?
Old 12-07-2010, 01:35 AM   #7

Will help in the short term but really only delaying the inevitable. At some point you have to deal with your deficit.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:03 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Sure looks like we'll hit the national debt ceiling sooner, rather than later now. Probably late March.

That'll make for some highly entertaining finger pointing.
That is my reaction also. When give the option to make painful choices or borrow more money, shockingly the politician agree to not cut either parties sacred cows and kick the can down the road.

Now to be fair, given the current economy strong cases can be made for both keeping the existing tax cuts and extending unemployment insurance.

However, after 10 years of low taxes, and 8 years of high government spending followed by two years of super high government spending, it would be nice if the parties acknowledge the possibility that both approaches are wrong. Maybe just maybe maintaining government debt at reasonable level would spur real economic growth.

"America always does the right thing after exhausting all other alternatives"
Old 12-07-2010, 03:10 AM   #9

+1. We are living in interesting times - and likely to get more interesting soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Will help in the short term but really only delaying the inevitable. At some point you have to deal with your deficit.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:11 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Given the weak economic growth, many believe it would be a bad time to reduce income in the hands of consumers.

The longer-term tax situation will play out in the next year with Obama's debt commission's recommendations.

There will be tax increases. The question will be: who pays. There will be spending cuts, the question is: what gets cut.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:33 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

It's nice to see we can all work together and reach bipartisan compromise in the name of handing out goodies with borrowed money.

As for concern about deficits . . . "That was so November 2nd."
Old 12-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Does anyone know if adjustng the AMT rates is part of this proposal?
Old 12-07-2010, 07:05 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
It's nice to see we can all work together and reach bipartisan compromise in the name of handing out goodies with borrowed money.

As for concern about deficits . . . "That was so November 4th."
Right.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Blech.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 12-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #15

I would have no problem with increased tax rates, only AFTER the government proves they are capable of handling the money already given to them. They have not, so I do not support tax increases. Why give the government more money to spend when they haven't shown any type of fiscal restraint with the money they already receive?

On a side note during this debate about raising income taxes on the population, the government has seen fit to try to decrease import taxes from 25% to 0% on trucks assembled in Korea and shipped to the US. If the government believes it needs more money and increased taxes are the only way they can get more money, then why decrease the taxes on an imported commodity?
Old 12-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
On a side note during this debate about raising income taxes on the population, the government has seen fit to try to decrease import taxes from 25% to 0% on trucks assembled in Korea and shipped to the US. If the government believes it needs more money and increased taxes are the only way they can get more money, then why decrease the taxes on an imported commodity?
I don't know the details, but it is probably tit for tat. Some commodity we export to S Korea now has 0% Korean import duties instead of 25%. Hence, some American manufacturer can sell more stuff in S Korea. And American businesses (that are hurting) can buy that S Korean truck for 20% less than it used to be, hence boosting their bottom line.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
I would have no problem with increased tax rates, only AFTER the government proves they are capable of handling the money already given to them. They have not, so I do not support tax increases. Why give the government more money to spend when they haven't shown any type of fiscal restraint with the money they already receive?

+1

Even with fairly drastic cuts in spending, we'll still need higher rates at some point. Otherwise, the numbers don't add up... Don't give the addict more crack!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 12-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

What a surprise -- more "kick the can down the road" in Washington. That never happens.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 12-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #19
Administrator

No surprise at all to chicken out and leave the tough decisions until after another election. What did surprise me is that, in light of all the hype of the underfunded SS system, that they cut employer contributions by 2%. If they really wanted to give business a tax break, why hit SS? (unless of course because the effects of the reduced SS revenues will impact a different congress way down the road).
Old 12-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
No surprise at all to chicken out and leave the tough decisions until after another election. What did surprise me is that, in light of all the hype of the underfunded SS system, that they cut employer contributions by 2%. If they really wanted to give business a tax break, why hit SS? (unless of course because the effects of the reduced SS revenues will impact a different congress way down the road).
I am sure the theory is because it has lowered the cost of hiring a new worker by ~2%. So if there are say 500 business planning on hiring 50 or more workers in the next few months these business will now hire 51 new workers. Meaning a creation of 500 new jobs, which will make such a big contribution to our unemployment situation.
Closed Thread