Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
When SS can't pay all its benefits requirements in 15 years or so, where they going to get it if not this way?
Increasing the payroll tax as before.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cut SS for people who do not need it?

All the people who say they have zero WR from their 401k/IRA? If that's not rich, then I don't know who is.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Cut SS for people who do not need it?
First step: have recipients report NW so it is known who needs it or not.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Robbieb has the right idea all along.

PS. Come to think of it, the government does not yet know if you have hidden gold coins or valuable collectibles. But they can easily know about your 401k, IRA, brokerage accounts etc... Investable assets such as stocks and bonds are so easily tracked, they do not have to ask you to 'fess up. You cannot hide these. If they ask you about these at all, it's only to see if you are trying to cheat.

The next things are planes, boats, RVs, lands, etc... It takes a bit more work with the state governments to get it, but they can do that too. Where are you going to hide? Rare stamps or Greek antiquities?
Old 09-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

If I didnít have to pay taxes, Iíd spend most of it on drinking and carousing, then waste the rest...

I consider my tax burden to be the HOA fee for living in the USA. Overall, itís a pretty good bargain, IMHO, of course.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

I do not mind paying taxes, but it bothers me when a guy who made the same money I did in our career, but blew it all instead of saving, gets preferential treatment because I get deemed rich, and he poor.

Less SS for me, and more for him because he "needs" it more than I do, even though we contributed the same.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I do not mind paying taxes, but it bothers me when a guy who made the same money I did in our career, but blew it all instead of saving, gets preferential treatment because I get deemed rich, and he poor.

Less SS for me, and more for him because he "needs" it more than I do, even though we contributed the same.
+1

Horace
Old 09-15-2019, 04:22 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
In addition to this scheme there is the "tax cap gains annually and at the ordinary income rate" as well as the "dramatically lower the inheritance tax exemption" idea currently floating around.

What bothers me is that within the subtext of all these ideas is that there is a punitive tone to them. While couched in 'fairness' there seems to be more of a goal to simply punish those with greater wealth.

Yet, as I've often maintained, the rich have plenty of options to dodge such things. The predictions of income generated always naively assumes status quo vs the work of clever accountants, lobbyists, corporations and trusts. It always sounds good but most often falls far short of the mark.

Wake me if any of these ideas ever come to pass.
While we need to keep an eye on the lyin b******ds running the country I agree with your assessment. Just tell me the rules and I'll play the game. I've got no choice and I'm really not all that rich.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:14 PM   #129
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Some have proposed a tax on a personís total net worth.

This sounds like a potential backdoor way to tax Roth accounts.

Or, am I turning into a cynical man of experience?
There's plenty of wealth that isn't contained within a Roth account.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:27 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Even if the wealth tax is passed and proved successful to reduce the wealth of the ultra rich, can anyone be sure that it would result in raising the net worth of the poor?
What a question! I am forced to add you to my list of dangerous radicals who infest this site. Just relax, stop thinking, pay your fair share, and assume the money will go where it is most needed.

"Yond NW-Bound has a lean and hungry look. He thinks to much. Such men are dangerous." - with apologies to Shakespeare
Old 09-15-2019, 07:31 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

+1 Kudos.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #132

I agree. To put in other words, you don't raise yourself by bringing others down. That is the root problem with all of the tax the rich proposals.

Quote:

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Unhappy
Old 09-15-2019, 08:51 PM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
First step: have recipients report NW so it is known who needs it or not.
Sure, your forced to pay for an insurance produc(SScredits) by .gov and when someone else's .gov products they to were forced to pay for (SScredits) falls short for them because of their input you have your .gov products costs, sacrifices & plans disrupted. unreal
Old 09-15-2019, 09:06 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Preferential treatment would have to come from somewhere other than SS. If your wages were identical, wouldnít your benefit be similar, assuming a similar career length, of course.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-15-2019, 09:27 PM   #135

Quote:

Having to live in retirement on SS alone is sufficient punishment IMO for anyone that had the opportunity to save but didn't.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:29 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Preferential treatment would have to come from somewhere other than SS. If your wages were identical, wouldn’t your benefit be similar, assuming a similar career length, of course.
When money is needed, they may come up with a tax or some indirect method to claw back the SS if you have 401k/IRA/Roth. Taxmen can be very ingenious. I will not underestimate them.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:41 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
When SS can't pay all its benefits requirements in 15 years or so, where they going to get it if not this way?
SS will always be able to pay. The money can be borrowed and printed.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 09-15-2019, 10:50 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I agree. To put in other words, you don't raise yourself by bringing others down. That is the root problem with all of the tax the rich proposals.
The argument for taxing the rich has always been that it provides funding to allow the government to enact social programs to help the poor. I am not against helping the poor, but it is not easy to define programs to really help them in the long run.

We need to create good jobs, not just to provide perpertual meals on wheel. Even the education assistance has proven quite costly and hurts the clueless college students more than it helps them. Jobs are created by private enterprises more than by the government. Maybe people blowing dough can create jobs better than the government knows how to.

Seeing negative interest rates in Europe makes me wonder why people do not invest in anything, and have to let the money sit there stagnant and get taken away. Do people have everything they need and there's no need to produce anything more? Nobody can come up with anything for workers to do?
Old 09-16-2019, 02:45 AM   #139

Well you can argue there have been tax laws which favored the rich the last 2-3 decades.

In any event, there is inequality, which has been growing during the same time.

Some people think it’s a problem hitch needs to b addressed, some don’t.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:38 AM   #140
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Conversely, do you raise everyone by cutting taxes for the rich?

Closed Thread