Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Taxing wealth a way to tax Roth IRAs?
Old 09-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Taxing wealth a way to tax Roth IRAs?

Some have proposed a tax on a person’s total net worth.

This sounds like a potential backdoor way to tax Roth accounts.

Or, am I turning into a cynical man of experience?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Some have proposed a tax on a person’s total net worth.

This sounds like a potential backdoor way to tax Roth accounts.

Or, am I turning into a cynical man of experience?
Yes, you are turning cynical. And yes that is a way to tax Roth's, without taxing Roth distributions.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #3

No doubt Roth’s are growing to a bigger target for the govt to tax. “Hey we need money just look at how much is setting over there. “ I can hear the arguments now “only the Wealthy have Roth’s, why don’t I have one? Blah blah blah”. Then we’ll see a greater consumption tax or something that hoses everyone. I’ll show them and just won’t spend my money. No matter what happens you can bet that someone else wants what you have. Just position yourself to play the hand that is dealt you and make the most of the opportunity when it arises.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Not sure how easily one's wealth can be measured by the gov't.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:21 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Who are "some" and where have they proposed it?
Old 09-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Who are "some" and where have they proposed it?
Seriously? Elizabeth Warren. Publicly.

"Warren, currently holding the No.2 spot behind Joe Biden in an average of presidential polls, has proposed an annual 2% tax on every dollar of net worth above $50 million, and a 3% tax on each dollar of net worth above $1 billion."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/he...ett-2019-09-10
Old 09-11-2019, 06:38 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post
Seriously? Elizabeth Warren. Publicly.

"Warren, currently holding the No.2 spot behind Joe Biden in an average of presidential polls, has proposed an annual 2% tax on every dollar of net worth above $50 million, and a 3% tax on each dollar of net worth above $1 billion."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/he...ett-2019-09-10
I hadn't been keeping up with all of the candidate campaign proposals/ideas. This is a far cry from taxing Roths for most of us.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #8

Quote:
I hadn't been keeping up with all of the candidate campaign proposals/ideas. This is a far cry from taxing Roths for most of us.
Sorry. I thought you were baiting. My bad. Cheers.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:43 PM   #9

I just received a text from Yang that he would give me $1000 each month. I think I will respond that he can forward that to Warren to pay for the wealth tax!
Old 09-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

France has had a wealth tax for 30 years. It is levied on assets above 800,000 euros, and the assets include all personal properties and financial accounts, with some exemptions for rural land, professional properties, etc...

Other countries had a wealth tax but abandoned it in recent years, such as Austria, Germany, Finland, Sweden, etc... Current French President Macron proposed abandoning the wealth tax, and faced violent demonstrations saying he favored the rich.

For wealth tax discussion for the US, Google is your friend. Beware of the little piggy though.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-11-2019, 06:50 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Just to give this discussion a chance and not seem too heavy handed, I just want to remind folks that our Community Rules don't allow for the invitation for political discussions of potential "wish list" legislation that is not far enough in the pipeline to even be a bill, let alone through committee and under serious consideration.

That said, the question, "What moves can I make to protect myself against the possibility of a wealth tax?" is risk management in financial planning, so if we keep partisan or ideological political commentary out of it and focus on how to manage our own nest eggs for potential risks, we'll be OK. If we can keep the context of the discussion within that framework, great. But this is only (possibly) a campaign promise, so there is no point in debating its merits or demerits.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 09-11-2019, 07:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
That said, the question, "What moves can I make to protect myself against the possibility of a wealth tax?" is risk management in financial planning, so if we keep partisan or ideological political commentary out of it and focus on how to manage our own nest eggs for potential risks, we'll be OK.

I'll be anxiously awaiting all the comments and strategies from those on this forum with a net worth of >$50M on how they plan to protect their nest egg.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I'll be anxiously awaiting all the comments and strategies from those on this forum with a net worth of >$50M on how they plan to protect their nest egg.
1. Someone with more than $50M doesn't need "help" to figure out how to FIRE, and with that much money, you probably have a team of accountants and lawyers at your disposal.

2. Someone with more than $50M, unless they picked the right stocks, probably has a small percentage of their net worth in Roth investments.

3. Someone with more than $50M is not going to have an early retirement busted by taxes.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 09-11-2019, 07:41 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Yep, I've already discounted the effects of "wealth tax" as ANY current proponent has laid out. Those who 'would' be affected are too smart to ever pay it. The rest of us don't qualify. Having said that, the "real" money (tax or otherwise) must, by definition be within the middle class (not political, just fact.) Thats where "we" (the FIRE community) need to stay alert. I'll leave it at that, much as I love bacon. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
1. Someone with more than $50M doesn't need "help" to figure out how to FIRE, and with that much money, you probably have a team of accountants and lawyers at your disposal.

2. Someone with more than $50M, unless they picked the right stocks, probably has a small percentage of their net worth in Roth investments.

3. Someone with more than $50M is not going to have an early retirement busted by taxes.

I guess I should have use the sarcastic emoji instead of the smiley.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Yep, I've already discounted the effects of "wealth tax" as ANY current proponent has laid out. Those who 'would' be affected are too smart to ever pay it. The rest of us don't qualify. Having said that, the "real" money (tax or otherwise) must, by definition be within the middle class (not political, just fact.) Thats where "we" (the FIRE community) need to stay alert. I'll leave it at that, much as I love bacon. YMMV

Yes, the French got it figured out. Hence the exemption limit is just 800,000 euros.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-11-2019, 07:46 PM   #17

I believe the likelihood of some kind of wealth tax is significant and growing.

I also believe that once it's enacted, there will be a plethora of tax attorneys, financial advisers, and insurance salespeople competing to sell you ways to minimize or avoid the wealth tax.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:46 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Agreed. It is a far cry. My concern is that it opens a back door to taxing Roths indirectly. And the minimum wealth needed to pay the tax will go down over the years.

FWIW, the sales tax where I live used to be about 7.5%. It is now 10%. These taxes have a way of going up and not going down.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:49 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1 even though I would oppose a wealth tax in principle.... I presume that these people with $50 million+ or $1 billion+ pay income tax already... so they pay income tax on their income and then it gets taxed again becaue it is part of their wealth?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #20

Even if it started at $50,000,000 do you really believe it would never get lowered?

In 1913 (when the 16th amendment was ratified), the top tax bracket was 7 percent on all income over $500,000 (roughly $12 million in today’s dollars).

Funny how that didn't stick.
Closed Thread